The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 30, 2012, 12:28 PM   #1
saudst

Mini 30

I jusy bought a Mini 30 and put it in a ATI adjustable folding stock for a second home protection. My first is a pump with the first 3 high brass #6 and the last 2 00 buck. I was originaly looking for an AR, but found out I could not afford the extra $1000 for one in good condotion. What are your thoughts on this rifle for home and property protection with the budjet I have to work with?

Thanks for your help, Tim.
Old October 30, 2012, 04:13 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

I think it will work just fine for what you are wanting as long as you use good defensive ammo. What I don't know is why you think you had to spend $1,600 to get a good AR?
Old October 30, 2012, 05:14 PM   #3
hardhat harry

Welcome to the Mini world.

Check these guys out. There 3.5 lb trigger job is great. I just got mine back and tested it on the range.

http://www.mini14triggers.com/
Old November 4, 2012, 09:25 AM   #4
saudst

Thanks guys. Hardhat, With the price of customizeing from these guys, I could buy another mini 30. Looke like they do a great job though, I'd love to at least have the triger done. Thanks.
Tim
Old November 4, 2012, 04:22 PM   #5
tobnpr

Very detailed and informative video on exactly how this smith does the Mini trigger job. Mine came out perfectly at a 2 lb pull, where I wanted it for a target rifle.

If you've got the skills and patience to do it correctly it's a rewarding project. If not, send off the trigger group.

http://greatwestgunsmithing.com/mini...20quality.html
Old November 15, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
saudst

tobnpr, very nice video. I have the tools to do this job and will do it soon. Thank you very much.

Tim
Old November 15, 2012, 09:50 PM   #7
K1500

Use brass cased ammo for defense. Mini 30's don't always run 100% with steel cased ammo.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:05 PM   #8
jimbob86

Quote:
I was originaly looking for an AR, but found out I could not afford the extra $1000 for one in good condotion.
I put together my PSA M-Forgery for less than $750 ....it seems to run just fine.
Old November 16, 2012, 02:46 AM   #9
Ignition Override

"Perfectunion.com", Mini forums can also help.
Old November 16, 2012, 03:11 AM   #10
scsov509

Quote:
What are your thoughts on this rifle for home and property protection with the budget I have to work with?
I've owned a few Mini's, and they're great rifles in their own respect. If home defense is your primary use then most of the common mods people perform for accuracy is probably not necessary, because out of the box the Mini will hold minute-of-bad-guy just fine. I will say that you'll want to make sure to invest in quality magazines for the Mini, because magazine sensitivity seems to be the one weak point of the platform. There are a ton of lousy aftermarket magazines out there, so you'll just want to make sure you do some research and invest what few dollars you spend into magazines that will be reliable, especially since this is to be a home defense rifle. Other than that though, I'd say shoot away and enjoy!
Old November 18, 2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Ignition Override

scsov509: Magazine sensitivity is a primary reason why "Perfectunion.com" has a forum for Mini magazines and the many aftermarket issues.

Until the '08 election, Ruger had refused to sell their "higher cap." Mini 30 magazines to private citizens in the US.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:49 AM   #12
tulsamal

Quote:
Mini 30's don't always run 100% with steel cased ammo.
The reviews I've read of the new Tactical version says that has been fixed.

And definitely buy real Ruger mags.

Gregg
Old November 19, 2012, 03:17 AM   #13
Ignition Override

My former Mini 30 had a stovepipe jam once about every 60-80 rounds or so.
It had a FTF about as often, but did fine on the second pin strike. Only Russian ammo was used.

Such minor details did not matter to me, because we have no herds of two-legged Taliban or Hezbollah swine in west TN, just the four-legged types.
The rifle's vintage was about '03 or '04.

The only reason I sold both Minis was because all my guns use only iron sights, and past about 30 yards I was a lousy shot with the Mini 30 and the very old ('90) Mini 14, both with the very thick front post.

Last edited by Ignition Override; November 19, 2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:21 AM   #14
saudst

I understand first hand about aftermarket mags. that don't work. I read about it but someone told me that " brand X is as good as factory. I found 2 30rnd. mags for $34.00 and asked the owner if anyone has had trouble with these and of course none did. At the range, I could not put more than 7 rnds. in either one. They went back the next day. I have a 20rnd. factory and never had a problem so far so I guess I spend $30.00 per mag. on these untill I find an improved aftermarket one. I'll try the site a couple of you posted, Thank you.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:49 AM   #15
Fishbed77

Quote:
I was originaly looking for an AR, but found out I could not afford the extra $1000 for one in good condotion.
Since when does a good AR cost $1000 more than a Mini-30?

Did you mean to type $100?

Plenty of high-quality ARs can be found in the $700-$1000 range from reputable manufacturers like BCM, Spikes, PSA, and even Colt.