The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 24, 2009, 03:45 PM   #26
MikeGoob

Its great to hear your insights. Lots to learn here and pass on to people I know.

A tip about the Kahr: If you fold a cleaning patch a few times over (3 times or so), you can wedge it inbetween the slide and barrel as you pull it back to take down.

the witness marks line up perfectly and theres no wrestling with it once you have the slide locked back for you.

The takedown bar will loosen up, Ive found, but any blunt object, like the flat corner of a magazine, can help you push it out. Its really easy if you use this patch method.
Old December 24, 2009, 04:48 PM   #27
Balog

Phoebe, if it's not too personal, may I ask what the origins of your initial fear of guns was?
Old December 24, 2009, 09:16 PM   #28
obxned

I hope you can find some way to get your story out to the many other ladies who haven't gotten the message yet.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old December 24, 2009, 09:29 PM   #29
Phoebe

Balog, I was raised by a hippy mom in the Vietnam era. We weren't even allowed to point fingers and say, "bang."

Guns were for Bad People.
Guns made loud noises that scared me.
Guns could hurt me from recoil.
Guns could spit back hot brass.

Guns were also masculine. Self defense was masculine. Guns did not fit my self-identity.

And perhaps, most of all, I didn't understand how they worked, and reading about things like, "accidental discharge", made it sound like they were magical things that could somehow magically explode for No Good Reason.

In a work environment (retreat), I shot a 22 rifle and enjoyed it, but then someone gave me a 9mm. I fired one round and it scared the crap out of me.

I had not touched a gun before or since.

FWIW, my ex-hippy mom has owned a handgun for years, and she claims she can't understand how I grew up fearful of guns.
Old December 24, 2009, 09:31 PM   #30
Phoebe

Mike, I will try that with the Kahr. Thanks!!!

obxned, I started a web site but didn't get too far with it. I wonder what publications might take an article. I've published other stuff, so it's not unrealistic to think perhaps I could write an article for a book or magazine.

If anyone knows of anything that might be relevant, let me know.
Old December 24, 2009, 09:54 PM   #31
Le Hermite

New Member...

Hi Phoebe,

Just joined FiringLine today, so I hadn't seen your earlier posts....

Congratulations, for taking things in hand and dealing with them....

As I said, I'm new here today, but have been around firearms most of my life...

Time and again, I've seen women go from negativity and fear about firearms, especially handguns, if they actually get to using them, in a controlled situation...

As a woman shooter, you can really help spread the word...

Take Care....

Gary W. Bourbonais
Old December 24, 2009, 10:49 PM   #32
dinsmore83

Phoebe- your background sounds a little like my wife's. she wasn't raised around guns at all, and her parents were both baby boomers of the hippie era. she was afraid of guns, so, I invited her to the range a couple months ago, where she tried a .22 revolver. now she wants to try more.

it was really good hearing your story, I read it before i started posting, and also wondered how things had turned out for you. it's good to see how things have progressed for you.
Old December 25, 2009, 11:20 AM   #33
IZZY

pheobe,

Please take this as CONSTRUCTIVE critique, if you carry CCW "more often than not" it's murphy's law you will have problems when you are not carrying.

Ladies clothes can be more form fitting, and harder to ccw but there are options like the ruger LCP, micro desert eagle, and purses that handle even full sized handguns.

I say this because you are one of the "family" of shooters, and because we care.

as for a Shotty:

Saiga makes a 410 shotgun that is OK w/ buck for HD BTW...I may be a full blast 12ga "macho man", but others use it to good effect. basically the biggest gun you can shoot well...but you know that by now.
Old December 25, 2009, 11:42 AM   #34
Kyo

Sup kay ;-p
reading the stuff you posted is what made me decide i have to teach my gf how to shoot, how to think differently. i think i will get her that book. I am getting an Sr9 for her to have at my house when I am not home. She loves everything but the trigger- but thats fixable. Plus the dog, and the auto-lights, and doors in the house.
I am glad you got your layers of protection. visit that no nonsense self defense website sometimes. I check it out once a month at least to refresh myself. Personally, I think I have an advantage as a guy because I can come across as the very WRONG guy to get near if need be. Women, have to work a little harder on that. Its good you found someone to enjoy your hobby with! My advice would be to get a pocket holster for the Khar- or a purse that has the secret area for either.
If you are going to get a shotgun, shoot a 12 gauge first to see how much kick you can handle. then go down if you need to. I picked up a new Mossberg Maverick for like 250 out the door. And if funds are killing you, try reloading. After the initial investment of a few hundred, it pays for itself within the first 1000 or less rounds. did for me anyway.
Just remember how big of a gap you have from a few months ago to now. Seriously don't forget it. You went from random scary guy to being smart and tactical. From not thinking to always thinking. I think that is the biggest difference. When you start carrying, you really start to think beyond what you are used to from before. good luck! Happy Late Hanukkah!
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old December 25, 2009, 01:41 PM   #35
Phoebe

Dinsmore, the step from .22 to 9mm or 38spc, seems like a huge leap. I don't know how one gets past that chasm.

I had comfortably shot a .22 and when someone put a 9mm in my hands, that was (I thought) the end of my interest in shooting. Scared the crud out of me.

I got past it because I felt like I had no choice. I'm not sure how others who are fearful, make that leap. I wonder if, being told more of what to expect, might have helped me more.

Izzy, I know. My goal was to carry all of the time. My clothing is not always permitting it and though I dress around the gun a lot, I somehow can't bring myself to not wear certain things. And I have a huge aversion to purse carry. I can't get my brain wrapped around purse carry being helpful or safe.

Too slow to get to it + too likely to set it down somewhere + too likely for someone to grab my purse = BAD on all kinds of levels.

I don't preach anti purse carry to anyone else. But it feels wrong to me. I've had too many bad things happen with purses in my life.

I did see some undies for carry that could work with a skirt or dress (albeit hard to get to in a dress.) But I haven't ordered them. They are kind of like a retention tshirt. Not sure what else would work, but I love skirts and dresses and if a belly band won't work (often does), I can end up not carrying.

Kyo, good to see you again! I go to the No Nonsense SD web site fairly often. Lots of good stuff there. I also revisit Cornered Cat sometimes.

What is the cost per rnd for reloaded 9mm or .45? (Yes, I'm dreaming of a .45.)

Shotgun is probably a few months out. I'm okay shooting a 12gauge, but am very slow to rack it. Too slow. If I missed and needed to shoot again, I might be dead before I could get my next shot set up.
Old December 25, 2009, 02:56 PM   #36
Rmac58

Sounds as if you're handling things properly. Self defense is a good thing. Sadly, too many folks are out there thinking they can have what they want regardless of the victim's rights.
Without consequences, there is chaos.
BG's need consequences brought down on 'em hard, you're on the right track, good for you.
Old December 25, 2009, 03:19 PM   #37
Kyo

my cost per 100 rounds of 45 ACP is from 11-12 bucks compared to a reloaded box of 50 at the range that is 18+.
9mm's would be cheaper because the bullets would be cheaper.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old December 25, 2009, 06:03 PM   #38
Buzzcook

Phoebe, you were never a sheep. You just hadn't taken advantage of the options available to you.
Old December 25, 2009, 07:33 PM   #39
wally626

Quote:
Shotgun is probably a few months out. I'm okay shooting a 12gauge, but am very slow to rack it. Too slow. If I missed and needed to shoot again, I might be dead before I could get my next shot set up.
You can go with an auto loader or a double barrel shotgun if you dislike the pump action. You might also look into 20 gage shotguns.
Old December 25, 2009, 10:01 PM   #40
prdator

Phoebe,

''I'd like to train more, but money is often the limiting factor. I'm considering FoF with ShivWorks and keep trying to get some feedback from folks who have trained with them, but haven't found anything out yet.''

Wile I have not trained directly with "ShivWorks" aka SouthNarc. I have trained with Mike Brown from USSA and with Tom Givens of Rangemaster. and they Speak VERY highly of SouthNarc!!!!!

Probably the most important training you can do is "MUC" or Managing Unknown Contacts and SouthNarc really started this kind of training!!
I would highly recommend you do a MUC class. Now if you want to take it to the next level take a ECQC class with SouthNarc or come take CQT with Mike Brown at USSA. I have done the CQT class and I have not looked at training the same since!!
Just be warned either class is VERY physical!!
Old December 26, 2009, 02:06 AM   #41
Phoebe

Prdator, physically hard in what way? If it's fitness/cardio/etc, I'm fine. If it's sparring like activity, I probably can't manage much with full size males...though I'm now tougher than I look!

What is MUC?

In fact, the only acronym in your post that I know is ECQC. Not sure if it was SouthNarc I was talking to. Some Shivworks guy in AZ?

Where is Mike Brown?
Old December 26, 2009, 07:58 AM   #42
Lost Sheep

So, did you let him go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ava8harrierusmc1
I have people tell me that i'm crazy for being like i am about fire arms i also have had people walk into my house at night while i was in my living room on my computer but luckly for me i sit with my 40 next to me at all times I just turn around slowly and said if you are not out of my house by the time i get to one from counting down from ten then i will put a bullet in you the guy tried to explain as i was counting but he left my house by two. and the next week it happened again but i just said i will shoot you and then call the cops to bring a body bag. Well after that i moved i don't want to shoot someone but if i have to i will. I n this day and time we can not take chances i'd rather shoot them then for them to hurt me or my family. So i say to you young lady keep up the good work and protect yourself and your loved ones.
Semper FI
Always Faithful

ava8harrierusmc1
Someone tried to breach your perimeter and you let him walk?

I was not there, so I will not second guess your generosity past posing the question, "Why did you not detain the intruder for the police?"

I recognize there might be valid reasons, but I am curious which ones carried weight with you in your circumstances

Lost Sheep.
Old December 26, 2009, 09:45 AM   #43
N.H. Yankee

Sounds like you've done everything right. Also sounds like you have determined to not become a victim and have done the smart thing receiving training and getting insight on your choice of weapons. The only thing I would like to add, getting a shotgun, great choice of weapons, but having a loaded shotgun can also arm an intruder while your asleep or during a struggle. I keep my shotgun where it isn't easily seen and rely on my handgun strategically placed but not in plain view. Dogs, I feel are the greatest asset to a well guarded home, they can be a first alert so one can get their wits about them before someones in their room, as well as intimidating. Congratulations, your a perps worst nightmare.
Old December 26, 2009, 10:46 AM   #44
prdator

Phoebe,

MUC = Managing Unknown Contacts.

ECQC and CQT is hard Sparing, but dont let that scare you to much as both instructors ( SouthNarc and Mike Brown) will give you the tools you need to get though it.

More info here.
http://www.shivworks.com/tutorials.asp ( Southnarc)

http://www.usshootingacademy.com/tra...rse.aspx?id=15
( Mike Brown)

A web site dedicated to this kind of training. ( Id sugest reading a lot and posting a little at first.) http://www.totalprotectioninteractiv...orum/index.php

Let us know if you go to one of these classes.
Oh check out www.rangemaster.com and look at the Tactical Conference This is a steel for the $ and I would recommend that anyone that has an interest in this stuff go to this event.

Last edited by pax; December 26, 2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old December 26, 2009, 02:51 PM   #45
Matt19

Phoebe you impress me with your decision making to take your own well being and safety and place it into your own hands. From more firearms training to unarmed combat in Krav, you keep doing what you are doing.

Use your firearms training to do things like clear your own residence.

One more thought, if you can afford it someday, perhaps some high speed performance driving courses too. It becomes one more tool in your bag.
Old December 26, 2009, 03:32 PM   #46
Phoebe

prdator, I still don't get what MUC means or would teach me.

I expect to be up for hard sparring in another 2-3 months of Krav Maga. Definitely not ready yet, even if the teacher would give me what I need. I want to feel prepared to get the most out of a fof class.

I WANT hard sparring. I don't think there is any other way to learn fof scenarios. But I'm still a bit too wimpy!
Old December 26, 2009, 03:36 PM   #47
Phoebe

Just looked at Mike's web site and the CQT video. Uh, yeah! That's what I want.

Will I be the only female in there??

Oklahoma is probably not reasonable for me to get to. But that is the kind of class I'm looking for.

In about a year, I think anyone who thought I look like an easy target will get the surprise of his life. (They'd still be surprised even now, but not as much as they will be.)
Old December 26, 2009, 06:17 PM   #48
prdator

Phoebe,

Well you just might be the only girl in the class, and that would be either in CQT or ECQC.

"MUC" is Managing Unknown Contacts. The overview of the class is to give you the "tools" to manage people you meet. Basicaly if you have someone come up to you on the street and ask you for the time, you'll be able to handle that and with the techniques thought determine if the person is a threat or not.
You will also get the pre-assault indicators that every violent criminal aggressor goes though just prior to the act.

Look for a MUC/ ECQC class near you.

Keep up the good work.
Old December 26, 2009, 06:33 PM   #49
kraigwy

Phoebe

Thanks for your post. I've been preaching Womans Self Defense for years.

Its differant coming from you side of the issue.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 27, 2009, 10:26 PM   #50
Mike in VA

Mam'selle, your story is most uplifitng, and I applaude you for taking control of & responsibility for your own life. Though I hope you'll never have to employ your new skills, there is great comfort and peace in knowing you can take care of yourself.

Pax vobiscum.