The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 2, 2005, 04:08 PM   #1
Formula51

T-shirt and jeans CCW?

I finally got my South Carolina License and will be taking the CCW class soon. I have been researching my carry choice for a while and really want a .45 but am concerned about concealing one. I am a T-shirt and jeans/shorts guy and would like to carry without significant changes to my wardrobe. I would be carrying IWB or with a smartcarry and think I may need to carry something smaller like a Kahr MK40 in order to safely conceal it. What guns have yall carried with a T-shirt and jeans?

These are the guns I have been considering:
Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro
Taurus PT745 Millenium Pro
Kahr P45
Kahr MK40

I dont know if I can conceal the larger of those guns and I dont know much about other guns comparable in size to the MK40. Thanks for all the help.
Old August 2, 2005, 04:13 PM   #2
yci

I've done a 5" 1911 IWB (Sparks VM-II). Just bought the jeans a few inches bigger than normal around the waist (to accomodate the gun) and didn't go with skin-tight t-shirts, but ones that fit loose enough without making it look like I was swimming in it and left it untucked. Worked just fine for me.
Old August 2, 2005, 04:15 PM   #3
Handy

A S&W CS9 might also be pretty small, but it sounds like you're not into 9mms.

You could also look into a small revolver. S&W makes some Scandium .357s that weigh nothing.

Personally, I'd probably just carry a .32 NAA or Seecamp. I've found holster carry to be a big pain in the butt, and smaller guns don't seem to be all that small once you use a holster. So I got rid of my MK9 and just carried a P7 if I wanted more than a tiny .22. Subcompact .40s and 9s just don't seem to save all that much to bother with a dedicated carry gun.
Old August 2, 2005, 04:32 PM   #4
knightkrawler00

I carry a SA 5" 1911 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II with two mags on the opposite side under a T-shirt 95% of the time. Jeans, shorts, or kakis doesn't matter. Just keep the shirt on the big side and you will be fine. I've also added a Glock 17 in an OWB holster, instead of spare mags, from time to time and still had zero problems. If your wondering, I'm 6'2" and 170 pounds.
Old August 2, 2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Happy trigger

somtimes im packing my G23 in the hip with tshirts and is no visible at all
Old August 2, 2005, 04:48 PM   #6
Hans

I currently carry a Sig P228 IWB in a HBE Leatherworks Pro, wearing simply a t-shirt one size larger than I normally wear, and jeans or shorts. I think the most important thing is to get a good gun belt, as it makes all the difference in keeping the grip of the gun close to your body. With the right setup, any reasonable gun can be concealed in a t-shirt/jeans.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old August 2, 2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Para Bellum

I conceal my Glock 19 with jeans and a (wide) T-shirt well in an IWB holster (by sickinger: www.sickinger.at )
Old August 2, 2005, 04:54 PM   #8
ATW525

I've carried my fullsize Beretta while wearing t-shirts and jeans before... I would think a 1911 would be signicantly easier since it's nowhere near as wide. It's mostly a matter of the right carry rig and being conscious of how you move (without being so overly obessed with not flashing or printing that you draw attention to yourself). It can get even easier if you modify your wardrobe to include some light weight hawaiian shirts or something similiar.
Old August 2, 2005, 05:11 PM   #9
Formula51

So it appears that all of the guns I listed can be concealed with a T-shirt and jeans. Therefore, I need to make a decision. Oh soo hard. Anyone have any input between the Kahr's and Taurus's I listed. Please no other gun recommendations as this is what I have narrowed it down to. No glock, springfield, 1911 (yet), etc.

Thanks all.
Old August 2, 2005, 05:16 PM   #10
Handy

The metal Kahr's seem like much better bets than the polymer Tauruses.
Old August 2, 2005, 05:23 PM   #11
Formula51

Why do you say that, I have read great reviews on both guns? Do you have a personal experience?
Old August 2, 2005, 06:29 PM   #12
boing

Anecdotal observation of the various gun boards would seem to favor Kahr over Taurus. My own steel-framed Kahr was a fine gun, which I foolishly traded.

If I were looking for a highly concealable gun in a real service caliber, I'd buy a Kahr, but my Glock conceals well under my casual summer attire.

PS- Bigger T-shirts are cheap enough.
Old August 2, 2005, 07:23 PM   #13
Webleymkv

With just a T-shirt and jeans I will carry nothing bigger than my Walther PP 7.65mm (a.k.a. .32acp). However, with at button down Hawaiian shirt worn open over the T-shirt I can conceal any handgun I own the biggest being a S&W Model 28-2 (N-frame). Note-I am a pretty big guy (6'04" 225lbs +/- 5lbs).
Old August 2, 2005, 07:29 PM   #14
swmike

This should fit the bill. Thunderwear. One thing for sure, any guy wearing this kind of holster would make sure his weapon was safed before holstering. Wouldn't be any "hammer games" while holstered either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg belly.jpeg (9.6 KB, 309 views)

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old August 2, 2005, 10:21 PM   #15
Top Gun Supply

I generally wear jeans and T-Shirt while carrying. The slim profile of the 1911 and a VM2 with a good belt, does the job very well.
Meprolight, Trijicon, LPA, Ameriglo, EOTech Sights
Old August 2, 2005, 11:15 PM   #16
kymasabe

Jeans, t-shirt, IWB holster with a Kahr PM9 tucked inside...done.
Old August 2, 2005, 11:49 PM   #17
chris in va

When I don't really care what other people think, it's the CZ 75BD/OWB and a Hawaiian shirt. I try to get ones that have a breakup pattern.

If I sortof care, the P11/IWB. The gun is horrible to shoot but is easy to conceal.
Old August 2, 2005, 11:54 PM   #18
Handy

Quote:
Why do you say that, I have read great reviews on both guns?
Threads like this one:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=173240
Old August 3, 2005, 01:02 AM   #19
Wildalaska

Seecamp or rohrbaugh in the back pocket

Wildand380seecampsareonthewayAlaska
Old August 3, 2005, 03:11 AM   #20
Formula51

Those were mostly good reviews, except for the old Millenium's which we all know had problems. I didnt see anything bad about the PT745 MillPro.
Old August 3, 2005, 12:30 PM   #21
Zekewolf

Chris, which is more horrible, the looks of the shirt or the shoots of the gun?
Old August 3, 2005, 05:13 PM   #22
Lou22

I currently carry a Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster up front. Since I usually wear dockers type pants or shorts, the Kahr hides well. Tight jeans might be a tad snug.

I just ordered a Cobra Patriot 45 which I expect in about a week. It's about a 3/4 inch taller and longer and about 4 ounces heavier than the PM9 so I don't know how many pockets it will fit. It'll be very cool to be carrying a 45 auto in a pocket. If not, I'll have to go with the IWB or something else.

The Patriot is somewhat smaller that the Kahr 45. I've heard good things about its reliability and who designed it. I believe it is the smallest 45 still being made. It is also less than half the cost of a Kahr.

Lou
Old August 3, 2005, 07:58 PM   #23
Dog Confetti

I carry a PT-145 and it works great IWB (T-shirt and shorts is fine). It also handles great for a small .45. A Kahr will conceal even better, but for almost twice the cost. 1911's conceal suprisingly well because they're so narrow, even the full size ones. Still, I'm perfectly content with my Taurus.

I've put about 300 rounds of ball and 100 rounds of 185 gr Hydroshocks through my Taurus...ball works flawlessly (you have to try real hard to limp wrist it), but I had 3 FTF's with the Hydroshocks...I'm not sure what happened, the round wants to feed (so it's not the hollow point) but just doesn't chamber all the way...it's unlikely, but it may be that the Federals are verging on being too light a load. It's plenty accurate for a carry gun and has hardly any more felt recoil than a full-size. The action is very similar to a Kahr (I acturally prefer the Taurus action just a little bit).
Old August 4, 2005, 12:15 AM   #24
BobK

In the winter I carry a full size Kimber. In the summer I carry a Kahr P9 under a t-shirt. We are all built different. I prefer the 45 but I am confident with the 9mm during warm weather. Try different methods of carry and see what works for you.
Old August 4, 2005, 12:19 AM   #25
kirkcdl

I had a PT145,and I personally felt it was too wide for my comfort.I now have a PT745,and it takes turns with my Kahr K40.The Kahr is noticeably slimmer,but sometimes the 45 just feels better.I haven't seen a Kahr P45 in person yet...