The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2000, 08:00 PM   #1
DOCSpanky

Who makes a reasonably priced one and what do you like and think is the best?

------------------
"Government is not the solution to the problem, Government is the problem!"--Ronald Reagan
Old September 13, 2000, 09:59 PM   #2
PJR

The best one I've seen is the Beretta 391. The best one at at reasonable price is a Remington 1100 or 11-87.

I'd buy the Beretta in a minute if I wanted a 20 gauge auto.
Old September 13, 2000, 11:20 PM   #3
Captain Bligh

No. No. The best one is out of production. Browning A-5.

RJ
Old September 14, 2000, 07:56 AM   #4
PJR

Captain:

It seems there are two kinds of shotgunners. Those who believe the A5 and its clones represent the pinnacle of shotgun development. That would be you.

Then there are those who acknowledge the gun in its early Belgium days was well made consider it an overly complicated gun that is overweight and overrated in comparison to today's crop of semi-autos. That would be me.

It was certainly something in it's day but that day has long gone. Benelli, Beretta and even Browning are putting out guns that eclipse the Auto 5 in utility, handling and shootability.

Nomex suit on.
Old September 14, 2000, 05:56 PM   #5
DOCSpanky

So I heard about a Browning model 2000, what is it and any opinions? How much does one of the Berretta 391's cost and do they make them in a 20 guage?

------------------
"Government is not the solution to the problem, Government is the problem!"--Ronald Reagan
Old September 14, 2000, 08:16 PM   #6
PJR

Browning Model 2000 was made between 1974-1983 according to the Blue Book of Gun Values. Components made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

The 391 does come in 20 gauge. Prices start around $750 and go up from there.

Here are two places to check:
http://www.joeletchenguns.com/ http://www.jaquas.com/Home/
Old September 14, 2000, 10:07 PM   #7
Captain Bligh

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PJR:
Captain:

an overly complicated gun that is overweight and overrated in comparison to today's crop of semi-autos.

Nomex suit on.
[/quote]

PJR, tighten up that Nomex!

A-5 overly complicated? How? Load it. Pull the trigger, it shoots every time. How complicated is that?

Overweight? They made them in light versions. Mine is Belgium made--a light 20. My 870 feels like a brick next to the A-5.

I'll bet you think a Glock is less complicated, lighter, and better rated than a 1911 too, doncha?

I'll take my A-5 and 1911 anyday, thank you very much.

RJ

------------------
"Never turn your back on the crew."

[This message has been edited by Captain Bligh (edited September 14, 2000).]
Old September 15, 2000, 05:06 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Zip that Nomex up tightly, PJR....

The only thing the new autos have over the A-5 is they require less precision machining and hence are cheaper to make. None have the rep for durability and longevity the A-5 has, and it's likely they never will.
Old September 15, 2000, 07:47 AM   #9
PJR

Okay, I asked for it.

I've shot enough Auto 5s to know that I don't care for the way it handles. The stock always seems low on these guns in relation to the bore axis and combined with the recoil action they seem to kick more than they should.

Although they don't break down often when they do the fix requires more handfitting than a modern semi particularly if you need to replace a stock.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Auto 5 for what it is, particularly the Belgian made, but I've always been perplexed at the unquestioned love for the gun that some shooters have. Just my opinion.

To answer Captain Bligh's question: The 1911 is my second favorite pistol. First place goes to the Browning Hi-Power. It goes into my hand like it was made for me. Glocks never turned my head.
Old September 15, 2000, 10:28 PM   #10
Captain Bligh

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PJR:
Okay, I asked for it.

The stock always seems low on these guns in relation to the bore axis
[/quote]

Maybe we're on to something here, PJR, to explain your (blasphemous ) opinion vs. my (erudite and obviously correct ) opinion of the A-5. This is precicisely why I love the A-5. I'm 6'3" with a long neck. That high ole blocky receiver creates distance between the stock and the bore axis. So, besides giving me the perfect, flat sighting plane, it gives me some space so I don't have to scrunch all up and bring my eye DOWN to sight.

Lemme guess, you're not lanky, right?

Perhaps this is why they make different guns for different folks? Now if only we could find the answer to why some people like Glocks?

RJ
Old September 16, 2000, 08:49 PM   #11
tony stapleton

Browning makes a newer model 20g semi-auto Gold.
Old September 16, 2000, 09:07 PM   #12
KilgorII

Glocks give you more time shooting and better capacity with less time cleaning and fixing as compared to most other firearms. I don't like Sigs, H&K's, or 1911 clones as they generally do not fit my hand well. Any size Glock feels like an extention of my arm.

I prefer Glocks over any handgun.

Old September 18, 2000, 08:52 AM   #13
PJR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Bligh:

Lemme guess, you're not lanky, right?

[/quote]

Not lanky is right. Tall enough but with a short neck. I've found the standard Wingmaster to fit me well with a little added length of pull.