The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 27, 2012, 04:51 PM   #1

Help me decide on a purchase, please.

RRA is ending they're sale Nov.30 and I would like to make a purchase before it ends.
There are 3 models to choose from and I was hoping a few could comment on these specific models.
RRA LAR-15 Elite Operator2... RRA LAR-15 Entry Operator2... RRA LAR-15 Tactical Operator2.

It looks to me the only differences are the type of quad rails on each model.

About 20 years ago I had a Colt CAR-15 but things have changed since then and I want another AR platform. I like the LE6920/40's but cant find them in the 1k price tag I keep reading about on these forums so I am going with one of these RRA's.

Rifle will be intended as a all around PDW and I plan on mounting EOTEC with flip up/down magnifier.

If you are aware of these specific rifles please tell me wich RRA you would choose and why. Also if you know where a new Colt LE6920/40 can be had for 1k.
Thanks in advance
Old November 27, 2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Crow Hunter

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ne+5.56+LE6920

These have gone up in price by $100 since the election.

You can have it sent to your local FFL and save on the sales tax. Depending on your locality this will probably be higher than the shipping/transfer costs. (For me it is anyway.)

My local Wal-mart had 3 of them for $1,099 but that was before the election, I am not sure what they have now.

Good luck.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Erno86

The Rock River Quad Rail is a bit heavy, though I don't seem to mind the heft of my first generation RR Quad Rail. I don't have RR's latest catalog in front of me --- but my RR AR --- comes with the co-witness EoTech dominator rail, which I do like, though I can't fit the 3X magnifier in front of my 552 EoTech; even though the smaller EoTech might fit the magnifier on the dominator rail. With the third or forth generation Quad Rail --- you my not have my problem. I also like the anodized animal hide coyote/wild hog camo finish on some of the new RR AR's.

You should check out Troy's new battle rail, before you spend the bucks for a heavy RR Quad Rail; which the RR quad --- might still get quite hot after extended shooting sessions.

Last edited by Erno86; November 27, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the link crow hunter but the price for the LE is $1250 there, too much for my budget.

Erno86...I have the EoTec Dominator sight rail picked out already.

The only RRA's I am considering due to budget are the Operator 2 series.
I'll try to provide a link.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:27 PM   #5

Here is a link to the three Operator 2 series rifles I am considering.

Elite, Entry and Tacticle...witch one and why?

Open>>>http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm
Old November 27, 2012, 05:49 PM   #6
MikeGunz

Id go with the Elite because it is a midlength. NutnFancy has a pretty thorough review of the models on his youtube channel.

Last edited by MikeGunz; November 27, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:51 PM   #7

Thanks Mike...I'm going to go take a look at the video now.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Erno86

I like the Tactical Operator 2...because it has more ventilation holes in the Quad Rail; which would cause it to get less hot, during extended shooting sessions. The muzzle break is effective, though loud. The snow trigger guard is large though the edges are not rounded off --- like Magpul's snow trigger guard. The match grade RR hammer is spindly looking --- and might not hold up to extreme tactical use --- such as a mill-spec hammer would. The RR hammer, will definitely not hold up to use of dedicated 22 rimfire uppers. Check out Brownells new mil-spec AR trigger group.

Last edited by Erno86; November 27, 2012 at 06:00 PM.