The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 10, 2011, 10:39 AM   #1
jmortimer

Calif. Gov. Enacts Ban on Open Handgun Carrying

AP story dated 10-10-11 linked from Newsmax, regarding fact that Gov. Brown has signed law banning open carry. As I previously stated, there was never any doubt that he would sign the bill and his justification was that "I listened to the police chiefs." What about listening to the people. Regardless, this was never in doubt, and as always, my state blows big time.
http://www.newsmax.com/US/California...0/10/id/413793
Old October 10, 2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

That is a shame. CA seems to be moving in a different direction from the majority of the rest of the country.
Old October 10, 2011, 10:53 AM   #3
JWT

Ridiculous, but [redacted] [CA] has alway had a more liberal view of the world and tended toward anti gun regulations. Their ban on lead ammo in certain areas is a preview of what the anti gunners are trying to do (with much success).

Last edited by Al Norris; October 12, 2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: removed invective
Old October 10, 2011, 12:06 PM   #4
HarrySchell

Not surprised, either that Moonbeam signed the law or that he waited until the last day to do so.

It puts CA's "may issue" into a different light versus Heller/McDonald, as at least one justification for the caprice and unequal treatment has been that open carry was an alternative for self-defense when a sheriff or chief was clearly using his "may carry" authority to prevent concealed carry or limit it to friends and the "right people".

Moonbeam may have made a mistake. We'll have to see.
Old October 10, 2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Stressfire

Not just open, but
Quote:
an exposed and unloaded gun
What the heck is the point of that?

Oh, wait here it is:

Quote:
Supporters say the only person who knows whether the gun is loaded is the person carrying the gun.
True, but is someone who is actually planning on using their weapon to do harm and evil first, actually wear it exposed and in a holster, or second, really give a crap about committing a misdemeanor when they have some degree of murder on their minds?

Seems to me that this might be an effort to make open carry demonstrations unlawful rather than to actually do anything useful. Otherwise, why the "unloaded" specification?
Old October 10, 2011, 12:15 PM   #6
thallub

IMO: What Brown did was a violation of the Second Amendment.

BTW: The OK legislature did the same thing when our concealed carry law came into being: They eliminated open carry.
Old October 10, 2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

I'll play devil's advocate here. A portion of the gun culture brought this upon themselves.

Unloaded open carry has been legal (as something of a loophole) since 1967. It hasn't been an issue until the last couple of years. What happened? People deliberate turned it into a controversy. It backfired. Now here we are.
Old October 10, 2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

Tom is right. The outcome was predicted given the climate in California. However, some argued that the new law would bring folks their way - oh, yeah.

Also, some folks prefer a righteous loss on an issue as compared to small steps towards the goal. There's a psych term for that but I don't remember and am too lazy to research for it.
Old October 10, 2011, 01:49 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Also, some folks prefer a righteous loss on an issue as compared to small steps towards the goal.
I think it was Tamara who called it "fighting to be seen fighting" as opposed to "fighting to win."
Old October 10, 2011, 01:55 PM   #10
shootniron

Righteous indignation has caused us to stub our toe several times around the country on these types of issues.

Last edited by shootniron; October 10, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old October 10, 2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Alaska444

I think Gov. Moonbeam is the one that just blinked since this act surely IMPROVES our chances in Federal court with the several cases going through the system at this point. With his /snip/ supporters, he didn't really have any other choice politically, but legally, I believe he just made a fatal mistake as far the right to carry issues. In fact, I am glad he signed it to force the issue.

One of the reasons the San Diego case fell apart was the option to open carry. Now that open carry is no longer available, the arguments for MAY ISSUE is going to be very problematic for the courts in CA.

Any legal experts out there that could comment on this would be greatly appreciated since I am just an interested party, nothing more.
Old October 10, 2011, 04:02 PM   #12
2damnold4this

Quote:
One of the reasons the San Diego case fell apart was the option to open carry. Now that open carry is no longer available, the arguments for MAY ISSUE is going to be very problematic for the courts in CA.
I agree. The option of open carry has been used by the courts to defend California's may issue permits. Now that defense is gone.
Old October 10, 2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska444
I think Gov. Moonbeam is the one that just blinked since this act surely IMPROVES our chances in Federal court with the several cases going through the system at this point. . . . . <snip> . . . .One of the reasons the San Diego case fell apart was the option to open carry. Now that open carry is no longer available, the arguments for MAY ISSUE is going to be very problematic for the courts in CA.

Any legal experts out there that could comment on this would be greatly appreciated since I am just an interested party, nothing more.
I'm certainly not an expert on the issue, but I think you've got a good point there. From what I've read, California (and other "may issue" jurisdictions) have rested part of their argument on the idea that they haven't infringed on the 2A because everyone could go ahead and carry, even if (in CA's case) they had to do it openly and only with an unloaded gun. Now that that avenue (unloaded open carry) has been eliminated, they're left with fewer ways to defend the denials of CCW permits.
Old October 10, 2011, 04:53 PM   #14
Alaska444

I ain't no expert either, but some of the commentaries I have heard on the CA cases centered around the fact that we had open carry available. As AG, Gerry understood that legal issue, so it is a bit surprising that he is pandering to his base since it gives more ammunition to the legal overturn of the MAY ISSUE status, or so many hope.

As far as I am concerned, the open carry laws did nothing since there are SO MANY school zones where that is prohibited anyway. As far as provoking the CA legislature to do something about open carry, many are simply stating, DON'T THROW ME IN THAT BRIAR PATCH!
Old October 10, 2011, 07:25 PM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

Folks we don't use terms like 'libtard' - such cause flame wars.

Folks are pro or antigun. We have liberal and conservative members, so we don't do that here. Simple custom to follow.
Old October 10, 2011, 07:54 PM   #16
gbran

Quote:
Now that open carry is no longer available, the arguments for MAY ISSUE is going to be very problematic for the courts in CA.
I don't agree with this hopeful view. CA will respond that gun owners can still carry unloaded in a locked box. Nothing in Heller or McDonald gave relief to any kind of carry outside the home.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:18 PM   #17
Alaska444

Quote:
Today, 05:25 PM #15
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Folks we don't use terms like 'libtard' - such cause flame wars.

Folks are pro or antigun. We have liberal and conservative members, so we don't do that here. Simple custom to follow.

Being an Academic Shooter
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...05_Feature.htm

Being an Active Shooter
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Fair enough.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:32 PM   #18
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Alaska444, the cases you are talking about are 1) Peruta v. San Diego and 2) Richards v. Prieto (was Sykes v. McGuiness). Both of these cases are at the 9th Circuit. Peruta orals are on or about Nov. 1, 2011.

In Peruta, the Judge explicitly knocked down the CC argument as she opined that Unloaded Open Carry (UOC - a uniquely CA term) was sufficient.

In Richards, the Judge reiterated the Peruta decision.

What is interesting in Richards, is that they were due to respond to the defendants, last Friday (Oct. 7th). At the last minute, the Judge agreed to an extension until today (Oct 10th), because of Bill AB144. Their response was to have been tailored by what the Governor did with that bill.

As of about 5 minutes ago, that response was not up on the 9th Circuit PACER account. So I guess we wait (those of us interested in reading this kind of stuff) until either Gene Hoffman, at CalGuns, posts it or it gets posted to PACER.

As for the Peruta case, I'm sure someone is crafting a FRAP 28J letter to supplement their briefings.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:51 PM   #19
Alaska444

Thanks Al, I thought I had heard that was the reasoning in the Peruta case in San Diego. It will be interesting to see if anything changes, but it appears to take away that reasoning altogether.
Old October 10, 2011, 09:05 PM   #20
armoredman

Thanks for keeping up on this, Al.
Old October 10, 2011, 09:14 PM   #21
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

We must also remember that the 9th Circuit can just play "follow the leader" and rule that the Supremes only said, "in the home."

Another interesting tidbit: The bill that allows the CA DOJ to use the DROS fees (Dealer’s Record of Sale) for purposes other than what a fee is supposed to be, when dealing with a fundamental right.

This is bound to strengthen Bauer, et al v. Harris, et al. That's being discussed, here.
Old October 10, 2011, 09:23 PM   #22
jmortimer

The Ninth Circuit will work in lock-step with the California Legislature, and if possible, make it worse for us stuck here. Only hope is Kennedy siding with the four great Justices on SCOTUS on Second Amendment issues. Otherwise, it will, again, only get worse.
Old October 10, 2011, 09:38 PM   #23
Alaska444

The ninth circuit has the highest number of cases overturned by SCOTUS. If SCOTUS doesn't come to our relief, yes, it will only get worse. That is one reason I am looking for my escape from CA. I LOVE living up here in Idaho half the year, but my health care is tied to residency in CA at present so we can't leave entirely at this time but we do have a plan we are putting in action to accomplish that soon. Sadly, CA is just getting too weird for me anymore and I enjoy being able to carry here in Idaho. My wife feels more secure as well.

You are right, putting any hope in the Ninth is a lost cause right from the start. Will SCOTUS step in and even here a case? We will have to wait to see.
Old October 10, 2011, 09:46 PM   #24
Frank Ettin
Staff

Note that while Brown signed bills prohibiting unloaded open carry and requiring registration of long guns, he also signed a LTC reform bill that we RKBA folks wanted. And he vetoed a bill effectively banning the mail order purchase of handgun ammunition.
Old October 10, 2011, 10:05 PM   #25
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Fiddletown, Jerry Brown is an astute politician. This could possibly be one of the slickest things he's ever done.