The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 21, 2012, 01:33 PM   #1
kenham

Remington 740 recoil pad?

I have my recently acquired 740 whose recoil pad is hard as a rock. I would like to put a Pachmayer recoil pad on but can't determine the correct part. I phoned Pachmayer but the lady was not able to help. I have a Brownell catalog but still can't find the right part number. The stock is wood, the butt not curved. Is there a made to fit pad or is this something that needs to be done by a gunsmith? Thanks in advance.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Doyle

Simple - get a grind-to-fit. There is a good Larry Potterfield video on Youtube showing how to grind one. Of course, he uses a fancy jig to hold it while he grinds on a circular sander but you can do the same thing with a scrap piece of wood and a regular belt sander. I've done two now that came out perfect and I just ordered two more to do.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
PetahW

There are NO "drop-on" pads to fit your rifle AFAIK - every pad will need to be individually fitted.

Just be sure to buy one a bit larger than the bare end of the buttstock.

The best way would be to remove the old pad via unscrewing it's two screws (hidden - look for 2 slits in the rubber) and compare it the pads F/S at local gunshops.

If the new pad's screws don't align with the old holes, fill the holes with carved wood dowels & drill one or two new holes in the proper location.

If you grind down the oversize/new pad, be sure to follow/extent the existing stock bottom, top, & side lines straight to the rear end of the new pad - or the result will appear clumsy at best.

You should wrap the end of the stock sides, etc, with masking tape before fitting, to protect the existing stock finish.
If it's done carefully, a professional-looking job can result.