The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 30, 2001, 02:05 PM   #26
Craig Luna

Alaska Roy, 44Mag loads like 320@1500+fps or 240s in the 1800fps range. The 300 and 320s in the 1500fps range is the like of what JDJ and Kelley used to shoot elephant and cape with (out of a SuperRedhawk only).

These are mild compared to some numbers I've seen by a few authorities. Nothing like a long cylinder and an extra .1 inch of metal around the chamber.

The only problem with this loading practice is it is not safe if you own any other 44mags that can chamber the rounds. I have the same problem with the safety of hipressure 45colts.

check out the backissues at http://www.sixgunner.com for Paco's Megamagnum 5 article if you want an eye opener.

-CAL

Old May 30, 2001, 10:02 PM   #27
Drundel

Sissy guns...

Read this taken from Mr. Taffin's page:

Quote:
500 LINEBAUGH LONG/MAXIMUM: We have arrived! There is simply no way to get any more power into a sixgun that can be packed easily on the hip or in a shoulder holster. Perhaps more importantly, there is no way any of us could handle any more felt recoil. It takes everything I've got to muster up the concentration and strength to handle this Monster Maximum.

The .500 Linebaugh Long, again named for its creator John Linebaugh is a 1.610" in length fifty caliber cartridge made from .348 Winchester brass. It can be loaded with the same dies used for the .500 Linebaugh and thrives on the same bullets. However, while the .500 Linebaugh is somewhat sluggish as to muzzle velocities, the .500 Maximum is quite the contrary. The .500 Linebaugh Long/Maximum will max out with a 440 grain bullet at 1550 feet per second! That is a rating of 50 on the Taylor Knockout Formula and believe me one feels knocked out on the back end.

Felt recoil is S-E-R-I-O-U-S to say the least. I find I must use a padded shooting glove such as the Chimere and also tape the tip of my trigger finger and pad the knuckle on my trigger finger to shoot the biggest .500. Even then it takes a tremendous amount of concentration and expended strength to handle the .500 Maximum and the .475 Maximum for that matter.
All I have to say is GD that sounds like a monster!
Old May 30, 2001, 10:10 PM   #28
Craig Luna

I know all about the Maxs/Longs but they are still mild compared to the bigboys. I wish I can find the picture I saw that was a Single Action 50 BMG. Really!

Also, a Encore chambered in 416Rigby isn't too far off.

-CAL
Old December 8, 2012, 12:39 PM   #29
trader1000

What is wrong with the 44 Magnum ? The Smith and Wesson 460 cartridge is as big as the 45 LC or the 454 casull, yet it surpasses either one of them.
the difference betwenn the .45 and .44 is a silly .o1 inch !
Yet, people seem to think that makes it so much better.
If you want a big bullet get a .480 Ruger; a pleaser to shoot and
it really is much larger than a 44 Magnum.
The .475 Linebaugh is a bugger to shoot and I have shot ONE (1) 500 Smith and Wesson round and I was done with that.
If you want power and versitallity get a .475 Linebaugh and shoot .480 ruger rounds through it.
I am very partial to the 45 Long Colt and think it is the best all around cartridge. I am guessing a whole lot of others think the same as it has
been around for a Very Long Time.
Old December 8, 2012, 01:47 PM   #30
feets

Trader, seriously, did you really just dig up an 11 year old thread and post to it expecting a reply from one of the original participants?

For the record, a 44 mag is a .429" bullet while the 45 is a .451 or larger.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:25 PM   #31
Mello2u

trader1000 made a zombie thread!

Have not been able to use this .gif in a while.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old December 9, 2012, 06:46 PM   #32
9mm

Thread so old, you can't see the title of it on the first post by OP.
Old December 9, 2012, 07:34 PM   #33
22-rimfire

Funny, I read the whole thing and it wasn't until the last few posts that I noticed the dates.

I have a BFR in 475/480 and have only shot 480's out of it so far. I have a SRH in 480 Ruger that punishes you with the factory grips. I can only shoot about 20 rounds before I can't shoot anything for a while... that is shoot anything and hit with it. But I use the SRH or deer hunting and it does the job. I still haven't shot them side by side yet, but I will in the next few weeks.