The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Saltydog235

Quick Sit

So, my wife had to head to the church for a meeting yesterday evening and took the boys with her since there was childcare. That free'd me up to make an after work stress relief sit. Been a hectic couple of weeks and the stress is there.

I ran home (work is a mile away), swapped vehicles, grabbed a rifle, socks, boots, jeans and a shirt and rolled out. A cool snap has finally hit the area along with an overcast sky and I knew the deer would be moving finally.

Got to the club to find a whole bunch of people out there. I checked the wind a chose a stand that I thought it would impact the least, only one shooting lane downwind. I roll the dino oil to the coal burner and blast down the road, I don't want to be late. I huff it to the stand, put the rifle on a pull rope and climb up 18' to my perch. I'm thinking a big fat doe on this stand would be the target since a big old 6 point we've been trying to determine if it is a cull has been the only buck sighted here.

I get up in the stand, strap off my pack, pull out my water bottle and spit bottle for the mandatory hunting chew, get the bino's out and covers off and turn around to pull the rifle up. He's standing downwind at a feeder about 120 yards away, looking my way. I slowly inched the gun up and got it over the rail. I don't believe my luck that he's still there and hasn't bolted yet. He's just staring my direction. I get still and quiet but I'm looking at this one through the scope only, which by the way is hard to keep real steady on a heavy rifle like this on the offhand. He finally turned to present the rest of his rack, 8 points not 6, I'm in business. I contort myself into a position that allows resting the barrel somewhat and take the shot.

The 150grn, 45.5 grn H4350 over a Win LR primer detonates from the 7mm08 brass and travels down the tube of the Remington 700 SPS Varmint with modifications. It enters the bucks's neck and exits the rear of the rib cage halfway up the body. Very good penetration but would have preferred the high shoulder shot, he just didn't give it to me and I couldn't wait any longer, did I mention being contorted into an unnatural state of being.

You'd think he would have dropped right there, nope. Joker ran about 50-60 yards blowing blood and tissue everywhere. And damn if he didn't head into the thickest briars he could find. The blood trail was a dern highway to him though. Found him and went for the 4 Wheeler and fish him out.

Sometimes you just never know how things are going to shake out. You just gotta go at every chance and put the time in. Good things will happen sooner or later if you do. I've sat since the 1st of September through heat and mosquitos and knats, seen plenty of deer just nothing I would put on the wall until last night.

Old October 10, 2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Nice even looking 8 Point there Saltydog235. You should consider having a Head & Chest mount made? Good thing you had the 7mm08 along for that type of shot. Oh yaw thanks for the reminder of what we all hope for and you got._ Me jelious NOoo_ Any-who my congrats on a job well done Sir. Yes indeedy!!
Old October 10, 2012, 08:34 AM   #3
warbirdlover

Definitely needs to go up on the wall! Nice buck!
Old October 10, 2012, 09:26 AM   #4
sc outdoorsman

Real nice buck, Dog. That will make this a memorable season for sure.

I went Monday when it started cooling off and saw nothing I think I will give it a try in the morning. Regular gun season starts tomorrow in my part of the state and I have a stand that I haven't bow hunted this year waiting on me. If the wind is right I am hoping for some action.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
And damn if he didn't head into the thickest briars he could find.
Well, of course! He didn't want it to be too easy, you know. Nice buck!
Old October 10, 2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Saltydog235

Quote:
Well, of course! He didn't want it to be too easy, you know. Nice buck!
With the blood trail he was leaving, and the adrenaline I had it wasn't too bad. I found him and took the 4 wheeler in and drug him out.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:08 PM   #7
ChasingWhitetail91

All apologies

Nice buck buddy. Don't have much to post on this topic, but i was wondering how i would make a new post to weigh in different bullet weights for north east whitetails.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:54 PM   #8
shortwave

Very nice SD.

Nice spread as well. What's it measure?
Old October 10, 2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Saltydog235

He was 18 1/2" on the outside. Longest G2 was 7 1/4"
Old October 10, 2012, 04:07 PM   #10
hooligan1

Hey Salty, how old do think that buck is?
Old October 10, 2012, 05:07 PM   #11
2damnold4this

Congrats!
Old October 11, 2012, 07:05 AM   #12
Saltydog235

Quote:
Hey Salty, how old do think that buck is?
Initially we thought he was a 3.5yo due to his weight being 165. However a Vet friend of mine said the mass on the side of his head is a abcessed molar and was keeping him from eating like he probably should have been. So he might have been older. The Taxidermist is pulling the jawbone for me so that we can age him for sure. I wouldn't think more than 4.5 though.

I got a double drop tine non-typical that's at least 4.5-5.5 yo on another piece of property I need to target soon. Won't get but one or two chances at him or he'll live in the swamp and move only at night.