The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 29, 2007, 07:01 PM   #1
XD45Sooner

IPSC/IDPA newbie, what are they all about?

I am wanting to get into IPSC or IDPA competitions...what do I need to do? What is involved in each type of match? I have a Springfield XD45 duty model, will that work for either of them? Thanks
Old November 29, 2007, 07:39 PM   #2
jmorris

The XD in 45 would work for IDPA in CDP loaded to 8 rounds in the magazines. Go to idpa.com and find a local club, I would suggest going to watch your first time and talk with the shooters they will be more than happy to talk you through all of your questions.
Old November 29, 2007, 07:59 PM   #3
yar

go to www.USPSA.org and IDPA.com and look for a club near you. Just need to punch in your zip code. This is the first step to getting started. Once you know where to go you need a pistol of 9mm or larger (you got that covered), a holster, mags, mag carriers, ammo, stiff belt, ammo and your entry fee. That's it. New comers are always welcome and everyone is real friendly. Bring all your gear even if you think you might just watch the first time. The guys are going to try to get you shooting, and will take you under their wing so you will be glad you brought your gear.

When you find a club to shot with using the above URL's there will be contact info for the match director. You could call him for more info. Really just be prepared to shoot. This is best, don't worry about your skill, need to practice, etc. It's all nonsense. Best way to get started and to get good is just jump in.
Old November 29, 2007, 10:22 PM   #4
lodraw

For now, your XD would be fine in USPSA's production division. I might suggest you attend a match, observe and ask questions. My club has a weekly new shooter orientation every Tuesday evening. It's a real difference maker. Check to see if your club has something like it.

You'll need 5 magazines, a couple double mag pouches (open top) so you can get to them. At least a Uncle Mikes Kydex holster. Production set up is easy. Half the holster can be forward of the hip point, as can your first mag pouch. Everything else must go behind it. Production scores as "Minor" which penalizes poor accuracy. Take your time, aim and hit "A"s

Jim M
Old November 30, 2007, 03:03 AM   #5
softmentor

Yar's got it right. But if you don't have all that stuff, don't worry. Go on out to the range and meet the folks and see what they do. I think you will find most clubs are very helpful and friendly and will make you feel welcome. I sure they would be glad to show you what sorts of gear they have and you can get some good tips that way, instead of going out a buying stuff that may or may not work well for you. The main thing is safe and fun. If you do have most or all of that stuff, take it along, there are people who will help you with the particulars of the range and the match. You'll have a great time!
Arthur
Member USPSA/IPSA
Old November 30, 2007, 01:14 PM   #6
XD45Sooner

Would a 4" smith and wesson 686 work for either?
Old November 30, 2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Yes, it would be about ideal for IDPA Stock Service Revolver. All you need is good stout .38 Specials to meet the power factoring requirement. 158 gr x 800 fps = 126,400; 125,000 minimum. A strong side straight draw holster, at least three speedloaders (Safariland Comp III or Jetloader), and belt carriers for them will set you up.

It would also be ok for USPSA/IPSC Revolver. You could either shoot very heavy .38s or low end .357s to make Major power factor, or stay with regular .38s. Study major vs minor power factor scoring to see the difference. Take more speedloaders, more carriers, and more ammunition to IPSC than IDPA.
Old November 30, 2007, 01:56 PM   #8
XD45Sooner

What exactly is IPSC? I know pretty well what IDPA is but not much about IPSC. Could someone explain to me what it is in more detail?
Old November 30, 2007, 02:15 PM   #9
softmentor

I don't know anything about IDPA so can't really give you a side by side comparison. IPSA is an international organization with matches all over the world. USPSA is the US part of it that you actually join if you want to be a member and compete.
there are a lot of designed "stages" or target set up that are official states. These can be used anywhere in the world so that shooters at different clubs can shoot the same basic course.
The courses are designed to present different challenges, requiring the shooter to find the best combination of accuracy, speed, and power. Different stages may require you to move from one shooting spot to another, or shoot one handed or off handed, or around, over, under or through obstacles. Both paper and steel targets are used. Generally accuracy is what needs to come first. Speed will follow.
Power is based on ammo; grain time feet-per-second measurements. There are major and minor power devision. Generally, 9mm is minor and 40 or 45 is major.
Really the best way to find out about it is just come on out to a match and watch. You can walk with the shooters and ask questions (when they are not shooting of course : ) Or bring some gear and try a match if you like. Even if you don't shoot and just come out to observe, it's very interesting and I have found a good bunch of people.
Old December 5, 2007, 12:30 PM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

IDPA matches have a lower round count per stage and the guns are a touch more realistic, in general. There is more of an attempt to have 'tactical' realism in IDPA (flame on).

Both are fun. I do IDPA as it works for me and there is a lot in the area. I would do IPSC if that was the only option.

One thing as a beginner is to have fun and NOT worry about the competition. Compete against yourself. IPSC is a touch more game oriented. Find a relaxed club without gaming fanatics for the most fun.
Old December 5, 2007, 12:56 PM   #11
yar

The ipsc/uspsa arguement.

In the US what we shoot is USPSA this is the united states version of IPSC. It's pretty much the same game with the same rules. There are some sutle differences here and there but I won't discuss them here.

USPSA is a game, or shooting sport like IDPA. Like IDPA it is not any sort of training. You will become much more proficient at shooting handguns but in real life your not racing against a timer, would not try to fight a half dozen guys by yourself, and would most likey shoot the first guy or two and run away as fast as you could.

OK What I like about USPSA is there is just more shooting. The stages, distances, target difficulty and shooting problems are more advanced. In USPSA you strive to become a more accurate and faster shooter. There are also no tactical wanabe's preaching how you should do this and do that. You know the guys who shoot piss poor but read a lot of internet and watch a lot of movies.

Really though the experience is really based more on the club. I've shoot at some good and bad idpa clubs. I will save my rants.

Go see what your area offers. Your choices may even be limited because there is only one club or game in town. I am fortunate in that I have several idpa, uspsa, steel and 3 gun clubs all in my area. There is at least 3-4 clubs of each type.
Old December 6, 2007, 10:37 AM   #12
9mm1033

Here is the comparisons: http://www.craigcentral.com/idpaipsc.asp
Old December 6, 2007, 05:17 PM   #13
Boarhunter

XD45Sooner,

But heed this warning, XD45Sooner, these shooting sports are highly addictive.... Once you get started, it is virtually impossible to break the habit.

Boarhunter
Old December 7, 2007, 11:36 PM   #14
dauff

I shot my first 2 matches last month. As a new shooter to IPSC I can tell you the IT IS A BLAST.

I’ll suggest a few things to you that I learned so far. On your first time out, your priorities should be this –
1. Be Safe. Always go slow, ask questions, pay close attention to the range officer, don’t do anything you are uncomfortable with.
2. Get solid hits. Shoot slow and accurate to start – speed will come later.
3. Learn. I did things with a gun that I had never done before. (shoot around barriers, shoot under obstacles, shoot and reload on the move, etc… if you go slow and safe, you will learn from the simple mistakes (I keep a notebook of them). Also, as a new shooter, you will get more advice than you can digest. Take the advice that you are comfortable with and use it, but don’t try to do anything and everything that everyone will try to tell you.
4. Have fun. Don’t compete your first time out. Just be safe and learn. The guys with $3000, 18 shot, custom race guns and sponsors on their shirts didn’t have nearly as much fun as I did. You probably didn’t compete in a tournament the first time you swung a golf club, shot a basketball, or played a board game, so don’t feel any pressure on your first shooting match. The only pressure I felt the first time out was to be safe and NOT have a safety violation.

Some pointers from a 2 match veteran (for what it’s worth)

- Bring more bullets than you think you’ll need. 250 was enough the first time, but I felt better with 400 the second time.
- Your hat bill will get in the way at the worst time.
- You can’t miss fast enough (the sport motto).
- Slow positive reloads are faster than doing it wrong twice.
- Bring food and water. Granola bars and trail mix are good, sloppy/sticky is bad.
- Show up early for set up. You meet the coordinators, get a quick feel for the ranges, and sometimes you get a discount on your shoot.
- Get a good belt.
- Don’t wear loose clothes
- Do the walk through, but don’t get flustered if the shooting doesn’t go as planned.
- Dirty magazines do not work as advertised. Blow/clean them out every time they touch the dirt.

That should be enough info to get you started.

BE SAFE and HAVE FUN. You’ll be back for more.