The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 29, 2012, 02:03 AM   #1
revolverrandy

empt shell casing use as a snap cap?

I bought my wife a Taurus pt-22.
She has a tendancy to shoot low with it and I am thinking it may be due to the very long trigger pull and that maybe she is pulling down on pistol a bit by time the round fires. I figued practicing using a snap cap may help her get used to the trigger pull. It helped me when I was getting used to my trigger pull on my smith and wesson model 67. I couldn't find any 22 snap caps in the stores today and started wondering if I could just put a spent round casing in the pop up barrel and use that the same as a snap cap. Anyone know if that would work or if there is any reason o not do that?
Old September 29, 2012, 02:27 AM   #2
SHNOMIDO

Theres the risk of mixing it up with a live round.

The .22 snap caps are a bit different. The ones i use are an orange gummy material, not metal with a nice primer. There appears to be dummy rounds for function testing and snap caps for dry firing.

I'd order some online, thats my advice. Or go to a different gun store.
Old September 29, 2012, 02:47 AM   #3
revolverrandy

Ever hear of this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIMmf...eature=related
Old September 29, 2012, 10:42 AM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

It'll work a couple times, but the fired primer has no springback & once dented doesn't really cushion the pin much.
Denis
Old September 29, 2012, 12:31 PM   #5
carguychris

I've been told that plastic drywall anchors make dandy snap caps, but I've not tried it, and I don't remember which size I was told to use.

Another possibility is to use Aguila Colibris. These are super-quiet primer-only rounds that use a full-length .22LR case- unlike .22 Short CB caps- and are loaded with conical 20gr bullets. They generate virtually zero recoil and are great for practice. Aguila also loads a similar round called the Super Colibri, which is loaded slightly hotter to guard against squibs when fired in a longer rifle barrel; these aren't necessary in a PT-22, but could be used if you can't find the standard ones.

The main downside of both rounds, however, is that they categorically don't generate enough force to cycle the action of a semi-auto, so the slide must be cycled by hand. This may introduce a related problem- the conical bullets may not like feeding from the magazine, which could force you to single-load them, making practice highly tedious. Bottom line: Don't invest in multiple boxes until you check that they work! Also- although it may be tempting since they're so quiet- they use lead bullets and therefore shouldn't be fired indoors without ample ventilation.

Last edited by carguychris; September 29, 2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: sp...