The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 28, 2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Gen4 Glock 23 Review

The Glock 23 is a typical boring Glock. It's utterly reliable, lightweight, soft shooting, more accurate than 99% of the people that shoot it, and extremely simple in design and function. I've had this one for a few months now and have just over 500 rounds through it and here's what I've found.

Pros:
-Reliable (0 malfunctions of any kind; with and without tac light attached)
-Accurate (more accurate than I am)
-Durable (I have a Gen2 23 with thousands of rounds through it and it's still going strong)
-Easy to maintain
-TONS of aftermarket support
-Accepts 13, 15, and 22 round factory magazines
-Small and light enough to carry but holds 13+1
-Glock's customer service is second to none
-Durable finish
-Cheap replacement parts, should you ever need them
-Low Bore Axis resulting in a relatively soft shooting gun
-Easily modified to fit the shooters' preferences
-Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably
-I like the Gen4 grip texture; especially in the 40S&W guns
-It's had consistent ejection with all ammo

Cons:
-I'm not a fan of the factory plastic sights
-Comes with a serrated trigger due to import rules (easy swap)
-I'm not a fan of the Gen4 backstrap system. It's never failed me but the system used by other manufactures integrates more seamlessly with the firearm than the Glock system

Here's a video with some shooting from the 12m line, a table top review and discussion, and a chronograph test with some popular defensive loads.

Gen4 Glock 23 HD Video Review Link

Chrono numbers:

Winchester Ranger 135gr JHPs: 1124 fps, 379 ft/lbs energy
Federal HST 180gr JHPs: 997 fps, 397 ft/lbs energy
Federal HST 165gr JHPs: 1051 fps, 405 ft/lbs energy

In summary, it's tough to go wrong with a Glock 23. It's adaptable to most uses (duty, HD, concealed carry, ect...), can be easily converted to 9mm for cheaper practice, it's adaptable to the shooters hands, and most importantly is utterly reliable.

For those who care---I'll be deleting my old youtube account and using this one going forward due to an issue with my old google account. The old videos will be switched over to this channel shortly. Thanks.
Old September 28, 2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Noreaster

Good review. I've put my Gen 4 G22 through some hard use and no problems what so ever. The backstrap system has held up.
Old September 28, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
mightyoakwildlife

Pretty much sums up my assessment, after about two years, and 1,850 rounds. I owned an G17 back in the early '80s, and hated it. The plastic front sight flew off during qualification/transition session, and the factory Rep/Armorer on site blamed a bad batch of plastic. He replaced all 25 G17s that day, no hesitation. I've been prejudiced against the Glock ever since, but finally got tired of hearing all the praise and hype, decided to try one as a personal firearm.

Nothing bad to say, other than wishing the finger grooves matched my big fingers a little better. Still quite comfortable to hold, just doesn't really please me in a prolonged shooting session. Something about the fit just isn't quite right. Still, I've become very fond of my utterly reliable and unfailingly accurate Gen4 Model 23. It goes with me most days, almost everywhere.

Hope I don't qualify as a 'fan-boy', but I've even recommended it to a few of the other guys from work who were shopping for a new off-duty piece. Those who have bought one (I can think of three), have all come to share my observations and sentiments, including that which I've stated about the grip. If you're shooting less than a couple boxes of cartridges at a time, that's not really noticed, and shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, mine doesn't look as pretty as yours anymore. Signs of character and experience.
Old September 29, 2012, 12:37 AM   #4
MonsterB

Nice review, and good shooting. I am extremely happy with mine, have had it since the spring, it has about 1200 rounds with no failures, shoots soft and accurate, great to carry and shoot all day. I considder mine a great example of Glock at its best.
Old September 29, 2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
By the way, mine doesn't look as pretty as yours anymore. Signs of character and experience.
I take the pics when they're relatively new; it doesn't look that good in the video!

Quote:
Nice review, and good shooting.
Thanks. I agree, their simplicity and reliability are what make them great guns.