The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 24, 2006, 08:15 AM   #1
ceetee

Concealment holster for a 24/7?

Just what the title says. I'm expecting my card in a few days, and I've been reading all the reviews on various IWB holsters. It seems like the best (like Milt Sparks, etc) have a wait time that's months at best. I've been thinking about ordering a VM II since they list one for the 24/7, but in the meantime, what's a good option that's readily available?
Old August 24, 2006, 09:57 AM   #2
TireFryer

email me and I will get you in touch with a custom maker with quick turnaround time and quality workmanship. congrats on your permit! Let'sall hope we never have to use it!
Old September 2, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3
SELFDEFENSE

Recently switched my carry gun to a Steyr M9 from a Glock 17L and had the same problem. I got a High Noon Hidden Ally tuckable IWB for $35 and 4 day delivery while I get a Sparks rig. The Hidden Ally is servicable, cheap and quick.
Old September 2, 2006, 06:52 PM   #4
ceetee

I saw those, but I didn't know if they work. What made you take the vertical version rather than the canted one? I've always heard and read that the cant makes them both more comfortbale and concealable. I don't know firsthand, though...
Old September 5, 2006, 01:34 AM   #5
skeeter

Having used all types of holsters over the years I find the belt slide/pan cake the most comfortable for 24/7. Galco has some nice ones that are pre-shaped with a bend to fit very comfortable. For concealment I do not like the extra leather needed for a thumb snap or the way they hinder speed. I have one of Ted Blocker's old teflon lined pan cake holsters that was very comfortable and FAST. Trouble is I no longer carry a 4" Python. THey are no longer made and his quality is no where what it once was.
What are you going to be carrying?
I have to add that at one time I would have NEVER thought about carrying a plastic weapon like the Glock. But they are so accurate and reliable that it over comes my dislike for the plastic aspect of them. I also find their plastic sport holsters to be very thin and thus very concealable and also very fast.
Old September 5, 2006, 08:31 AM   #6
ceetee

Hey, skeeter. Thanks for the reply. I live in South Florida, where any kind of heavy cover garment is out of place (except for those seven or eight days in the winter where the temp actually drops below 70...). Because of this, I was kind of leaning towards IWB carry. I can see how a solid pancake would be more comfortable, though.

For now, I'm going to be carrying my Taurus 24/7 Pro. It's a polymer framed .40, with a double-stack magazine. From what I've read, it's about the same size as a Glock 19, and it's got the picatinny rail. Companies like Milt Sparks show some high-end IWB holsters for it, and I'll eventually order one. In the meantime, though, I'm looking for ideas on what's good enough to get by on.