The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 1, 2008, 05:30 PM   #51
Colt Delta Elite

Send a message

wjgramann, you may not be able to teach the folks at Wilson Combat much -- other than to never buy one of their products again, and warning others against doing so with your experience.

But I do think you should let this so-called "higher end" shop know how you feel! Whether you consider $50 a lot or a little, it is just not justified. You apparently are an ongoing customer who has "dropped a few bills" there in the past. Tell both the owner & the managers that, sure they made fifty bucks off you on this transaction, but they lost the hundreds/thousands more they would have received in FUTURE sales. Then back up those words and take your business to their competitor.

You already lost time & money with the gun, why be penalized even more for a shoddy product???

< this space for rent >
Old March 1, 2008, 06:19 PM   #52
Tbag

Cot Delta is oh so right about his comments. I'd bark like a sailor man if they tried the $50 crap on me, it's robbery, it unethical, and it's B.S.. I'd never buy anything from that establishment again period. I'd be calling Wilson also, telling them that the shop is holding you hostage over $50. Your time should be worth way more and you just got done waste a whole bunch of it. Those turds should be paying you for your spent ammo and time.
Old September 26, 2008, 01:17 AM   #53
gte217e

I'm a few months late to the party BUT:

I purchased the ADP sometime last year in early 2007 after seeing it at a gun show. Loved the way it melted into my hand, felt great, weighed nothing, and was compact with 10 round capacity. I also own a CZ P-01, and previously a Steyr M40A1, and a Kimber tactical pro II.

I've taken the ADP to the range approximately 10 times and I have not had a single problem with it. I've shot it while the gun was so dirty that it was difficult for me to rack the slide and yet the gun functioned flawlessly. The gun gets very dirty very quickly. It needs cleaning after 200 rounds. I'd usually go through 50 to 100 rounds per range session, so figure 700 rounds average through the gun.

In fact... the ADP and the P-01 are the only guns that haven't given me problems and the ADP is what I use as my CCW.

My only complaint is that I'd like a better safety on the gun. The safety prevents the trigger from being pulled completely; I'd have preferred a firing pin block or something.

WC definitely needs to do some kind of quality control so the bad ones aren't distributed but for me, no problems. The whole point of going to the range is to make sure your CCW is dependable and reliable and from my understanding every gun manufacturer has a few hiccups now and then.

Oh... now I look like a DUMB [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]... but... when I first purchased the gun, there was a problem with a spring where it wasn't allowing the firing pin to fire unless the trigger was retracted far more than it was supposed to travel. A major problem that I discovered while taking it to the range. I sent it to WC and they replaced the spring and since then it's perfect.

To put things into perspective:

My Kimber Tactical Pro II had constant jams and failures to eject.
My Steyr M40A1 had feeding problems.
My walther p22 had feeding, failure to eject, and jamming problems.

So really... at least the ADP still functioned even while having to pull the trigger further back before the firing pin activates (which was fixed)

I read in a forum somewhere that the loudest noise is a click when you expect a bang... my ADP has always gone bang 10 times in a row.
Old September 26, 2008, 05:35 PM   #54
bikerbill

Got my Kimber Ultra Carry II in black for less than $700 NIB ... NO failures in the first 300 rds, lightweight, easy to conceal, a few hundred more and it will be my carry gun this winter ... great weapon!
Old September 26, 2008, 07:36 PM   #55
Hornett

I saw the ADP's in a magazine or something and thought they were pretty cool.
I saw one at a gun show and picked it up.
One look at the location of the safety and I was done.
It is unlike anything else I have ever shot.
I could see me holding the gun up close to my face Mr Magoo style trying to figure out the safety when I wanted to shoot.
It was just so different I put it down and never looked back.
Old September 26, 2008, 08:29 PM   #56
varoadking

Quote:
What do you think?
I thinks it puzzles me that folks insist on buying offbeat pieces when there are so many proven ones to choose from...

Quote:
I'm thinking of asking the shop to credit the $600
I wish you luck...

Quote:
The safety prevents the trigger from being pulled completely
...and, why is this a problem?
Old September 26, 2008, 09:38 PM   #57
Rinspeed

Quote:
I thinks it puzzles me that folks insist on buying offbeat pieces when there are so many proven ones to choose from...

I've thought that for a long time.
Old September 27, 2008, 08:02 AM   #58
PSP

Quote:
Some of those "offbeat" guns may offer features unique or different than the "proven" ones. There is a disire to have at least some little edge over another. Think back to the first time you picked up a plastic gun, or tried that HK P7 sqeezecocker... before they were a "proven" value.
Old September 27, 2008, 08:24 AM   #59
varoadking

Quote:
Think back to the first time you picked up a plastic gun, or tried that HK P7 sqeezecocker... before they were a "proven" value.
Easy - I passed...until they were a proven platform.
Old September 27, 2008, 11:11 AM   #60
HK123

At least Wilson makes good 1911 Magazines.
Old September 27, 2008, 02:28 PM   #61
B.N.Real

What about the SKYY pistol ?

I looked at it in 9mm and it looked alot cheaper made then the KelTecs.

Two half plastic grips screwed together over an aluminum runner and ,I guess a metal slide.

The guy at the gun shop was giving me his best bs run.

"Oh,we've never had one come back-blah blah blah."
Old September 27, 2008, 06:05 PM   #62
vox rationis

Well this is a case study of one. I don't know how these ADP's generally stand up. But if it is a dog in execution and design it goes to show that even though Wilson has a superlative reputation for its top of the line 1911's, making and marketing a **** doesn't do well for one's image as a company
Old September 27, 2008, 06:41 PM   #63
varoadking

Quote:
What about the SKYY pistol?
Easilly some of the worst junk ever produced...don't just walk away from these - run...
Old September 29, 2008, 12:12 AM   #64
gte217e

I don't see why the location of the safety is an issue since it is rarely activated. I'm considering removing the safety lever entirely.

Think of it as a glock, if you dont want to shoot, don't put your finger on the trigger.

I'm not a gun expert, so excuse my lack of knowledge.. but.. since this gun is striker fired and it seems that the striker is half cocked when you rack the slide. If you drop the gun and the striker is released accidentally.. will it make enough impact at half cock to fire the round?

Out of curiosity... how many people have been able to shoot this gun before making conclusions about it? And since when did "pretty" become criteria for a carry gun? Give me a reliable gun that looks like a stick of poop and I'll buy it.

If anyone is in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area and wants to try this gun out just let me know.
Old September 29, 2008, 10:19 PM   #65
old_ironsights

I've got a 9mm and a .40 Cal. Both of 'em operate flawlessly. The one change I made was to strip the black slide on the 9mm and have it plated in electroless nickel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photos 001.jpg (242.1 KB, 143 views)
Old September 29, 2008, 11:01 PM   #66
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

So basically the gun was giving you warnings of something being wrong, yet you went on and shot it anyways when you knew - you know it - you should have sent it back to the factory ASAP.
One call to Wilson Combat could have given us a thread about "Hey, Wilson's service was great!"
Instead we get, "Hey, my dealer said I should drive my car around with no oil in it before I brought it in for service and now the engine seized... stupid Ford cars!"

Dude, you made the mistake. And don't blame Wilson or the design. I've seen SIGs and other high end guns show signs of odd wear or pins working lose. You address the problem before it fails, not wait for a failure and then cry about it. Not smart.

I like the ADP. I think it is a brilliant design. I think the Stealth was a great pistol that had rough edges and bad marketing. Wilson cleaned it up a lot and it does what it does just peachy. You just ignored the warning lights.
Old September 29, 2008, 11:09 PM   #67
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
The ADP is just the latest attempt and money grabing... and confirms my belief that there is little Wilson Combat would not do for a dollar.
Please. Wilson made a slick, skinny little striker fired 9mm available for less than Wilson's usual Grand Plus premium prices. Sure, they are trying to make a buck and pay their employees and give them some benifits. They are a Business. That is what Businesses do. Find new markets by finding new product and consumers for them.
Not many custom 1911's are as small, thin, and light as an ADP. Certainly not for the same amount of money.
What, should everyone buy Taurus PT111's or Custom 1911's? (Well, custom 1911's maybe... ahem...)
The ADP has a great little trigger. Seriously one of the best, on my test sampe, that I've ever felt... Only more recently has SIG put out the P250 that has a trigger as good on a production DAO gun for under 800 MSRP.
Old February 4, 2009, 10:53 AM   #68
Milnorr

Has anyone carefully examined the design of the slide release? Being at the very end of the slide does not seem to be mechanically practical to carry in any form. The safety being located in what is asially the trigger guard does not allow some people with thicker fingers to just "naturally" use the trigger, their finger feels crowded. I am not trying to disparage this weapon, just pointing out that the design has to be adapted to. I do not own the Wilson ADP, but I have examined a few.
Old February 22, 2009, 12:31 PM   #69
EZerRider

Wilson ADP - am I a sucker for purchasing?

I am aghast at the comments on this and other boards about the WC 9mm ADP I just purchased, but I'm not surprised. The guys behind the desk at Outdoor World highly recommended the brand and sold me the pistol without me taking the opportunity to do the research - my bad! Now I'm afraid to fire it. Since there's an all-sales-final policy I'll just cut my losses and carry it as a backup to my Ruger P94 until I find a conceal carry pistol with better press and better reputation. Should I need to use it as a backup, I'll just fire it until the slide flies toward my foe. If he is still standing I'll just have to chuck it at the foe and hope my throwing arm is still as good as it was in high school. Buyers' remorse! I'll be more careful next time and will remember that salespeople are not to be trusted, as all are in the business of separating my hard-earned without a second thought to my best interests. Thanks all for the lesson - some lessons are best learned the hard way!
Old February 22, 2009, 02:25 PM   #70
PSP

EZerRider, I for one would be very interested in a range report. I've seen a few other reports of these guns working very well. Let us know your findings and impressions please.
Old February 22, 2009, 02:47 PM   #71
Dave85

If you are feeling photographic, you might do the curious among us a favor and post some pictures of it disassembled. I have never had the opportunity to see the innards of one of these things, and am very curious how the gas system is put together on a polymer gun.
Old February 22, 2009, 03:23 PM   #72
EZerRider

Wilson ADP range report results pending

PSP,

That's an excellent idea, I will be happy to do so, perhaps in the next day or two. I am keenly interested in sharing my results and will be issuing a retraction if I find my results contrary to the bad experiences of others. This is truly the only way to find out how much my mileage varies. Look for that info real soon; until then, Glock On!
Old February 22, 2009, 04:35 PM   #73
FLJim

Quote:
EZerRider wrote:
The guys behind the desk at Outdoor World highly recommended the brand and sold me the pistol without me taking the opportunity to do the research - my bad!
I think I just commented on this in a thread in another forum: I research the livin' daylights out of my purchases. I still sometimes end-up with a bad product or service experience, but nearly every time I've failed to do my due diligence I've ended-up having made a mistake.

The people that know me well poke fun at my for how thoroughly I research things, but guess who they come ask when they find themselves in the market?

Here's hoping your ADP will work out for you, after all. It seems they've worked-out for some folks.
Old February 22, 2009, 08:57 PM   #74
EZerRider

Wilson Combat ADP 9mm range mini-test

I took the opportunity today to test fire my new Wilson Combat ADP 9mm and offer these observations: I oiled, prepped and worked the pistol slide well before the test; Total rounds fired: 58 (out of the 6 10-rd. mags [ejected two after jams]; I was prepared to fire 100 rounds but I forgot to take a target marker so I settled for 60 instead); at 35 yds looking into the sun I missed the target entirely eight times due to needing more practice! the first 20 were low so I adjusted my aim and lifted my grouping to center; I had one jam in the second mag and one jam in the third. Jams, they happen, the lack of jams after the second one was reassuring; no other problems or complaints except the difficulty loading mags to capacity due to the stiffness of the factory mags, the springs were tighter than.. (sorry guys, I don't want to offend any ladies who may be reading); I'll be loading the mags very seldom after my next test is complete. Overall I was very pleased with the weapon test and will work on my accuracy at closer range with the next 50-100 rds. after thorough cleaning and inspection. Maybe I got one of the good ones, but I won't put my full trust in this as my primary until I put it to another test. More about the next test within 10 days. I'll do much more thorough research before purchasing next time.
Old February 23, 2009, 12:50 PM   #75
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
Jams, they happen, the lack of jams after the second one was reassuring;
Jams, they shouldn't happen in a carry gun. There are plenty of guns out there that run 100% right out of the box, there's no reason to trust your life to a gun that jams even once in 58 rounds.

But that's just me. I'm glad you like it.
Closed Thread