The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2008, 01:16 AM   #1
gedenke

Rifle greasing...

If this has already been covered...sorry. Here's the question(s): Where and how often should I grease my bolt action rifle? Also, what brand of grease is better than others or are all created equal? (I believe more in first hand recommendations over manufacturer's claims of superiority )
Old January 14, 2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Martyn4802

First off, I can't tell you what one lubricant works best for all applications on any rifle. Each application deserves scrutiny, and the selection of the proper lube. For bolt lugs, and for the cocking piece, I use a heavy lithium grease sold to the trade. For the the bolt internals, I use a Molly dry lube, as I don't want the bolt internals to freeze up in the cold of winter, which they will do by using a liquid lube. For trigger internals, I use a molly lube. For preservation, I personally use RIG as that is what my Dad used, and it still works.
But, there are a WHOLE lot of other lubes that will work. You just need to study all of them and make informed decisions as to what you should use for each application.

Martyn
Old January 14, 2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Scorch

Wipe down the bolt with a rag or sheepskin coated with a good quality gun grease (Tetra, CLP, Militech, RIG, or any other that catches your fancy). When you are done, it sould look clean with a light coat of grease, enough to feel slick but not enough to see goo when you look at the bolt. Same for the outside of the gun. After each outing, they get a good scrubbing, then recoat them.

My trigger mechanisms get a drop of Tetra once in a while, then swabbed out with a Q-Tip to remove the excess. The only reason the trigger would get a thorough bath is if I was caught in some hostile weather (snow, rain, dust, etc).
Old January 14, 2008, 04:37 PM   #4
gedenke

Thanks guys, that really helps! You would think as much as I've been around guns I've never actually discussed this with anyone.