The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Miata Mike

Baikal LZH-27EM-1C-M problem

A year and a half ago I traded an old Jiffy ice auger for a nice looking over/under Baikal 12 gauge. It came with a soft case and the guy said it was only missing a screw. I thought that would be a piece of cake to get that replaced and have a nice cabin gun.

After closer examination it turns out that there was also a spring missing too. I was able to get a couple of new screws, springs and ejector/sears from EAA for next to nothing (which they were very good about when they clearly didn't have to help me)!

I put the new sear, spring ,and screw in and that barrel fires great! Problem is the other barrel doesn't fire (I forget now which didn't fire as it was last year).

The IZH27 shotguns are equipped with ejectors which are preset at the factory for automatic ejection of fired rounds upon opening of the action. However, the ejectors may be adjusted by the user to disable the automatic ejection feature. When the ejectors are set in the disabled position, fired shells will not be automatically ejected from the barrels when the action is opened.

Is there something simple I should be looking for or should I take this to the Smithy and get it looked over? I liked the way it shot when I was out last year testing it out on some clays in a coworkers yard. I only have $100 into what looks to be a nice low dollar double.
Old May 31, 2010, 03:06 PM   #2
jlv08

If you are talking about the firing lock work, I would take it to a gunsmith. There's too much stuff that can go wrong if you are not familiar with the gizzards that make these guns tick. That's my 2 cents and I say this to err on the side of caution.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:43 PM   #3
BigJimP

Yes, you should take it to a qualified gunsmith - that agrees to work on a Baikal - and hopefully has some spare parts.

I understand parts are very difficult to come by ...so you may have some trouble finding a gunsmith to take the project on.
Old October 7, 2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Miata Mike

I set both ejector screws in the eject spent shell position and used a pair of snap caps to test, and both barrels now shoot. I have since shot 4 boxes flawlessly through it.

I seem to miss about a third of the first shots but dust most of the second shots. Looks like I need to paper check the patterns of the top and bottom barrel to check the point of aim.

The first barrel is Improved Cylinder and second is Modified. I have been doing informal clay shooting at my local range so my thinking would have been the more open choke the better.

I have also heard that being a field gun, it might be shooting low to the point of aim, so the paper pattern should clear that confusion up.

Just thought I would update my thread in case someone else had the same issue. I am having a ball with it!

Last edited by Miata Mike; October 7, 2010 at 01:32 PM.