The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2000, 10:46 AM   #1
DeakonG

I'm hoping this is the right forum to ask this question in...if not, well, I tried...

I recently bought a Ruger KP90 and I've run across a problem...I haven't taken it out to the range yet and now I'm a little worried to...

I've been practicing trigger control with snap caps and after racking the slide to chamber a round, I tried to eject the magazine...when I did, it hung up and from what I can tell, when the slide moved into battery it chambered the top round normally, however, the next round in the magazine was also "pushed" forward enough to prevent the magazine from dropping clear when I attempted to eject it...I tried this with both magazines that came with the pistol, as well as a Pro-Mag magazine that I picked up at a gun show, same result...it also happens everytime that I attempt to chamber a snap cap regardless of how full the magazine is...can anybody possibly give me a clue as to whether this is something I should be concerned about???...if it's something minor, is this something I can remedy myself or is a trip to a local smith in order???...thanks in advance for any comments you can shoot my way...

G

------------------
'When I was a very small boy, very small boys talked to me...Now that we've gown up together, they're afraid of what they say...That's the price that we all pay when valued destiny comes to nothing...'

Old January 24, 2000, 11:00 AM   #2
ShooterDave

I've noticed this happens for me whenever I ride the slide forward. If you're not doing it already, make sure you let the slide "snap" its full travel distance into battery.
Old January 24, 2000, 11:31 AM   #3
DeakonG

That's the part that I'm worried about...it happens when I pull back the slide and let it go as well as when I use the slide release...if I chamber a round, pull back the slide to eject that round and feed the next there doesn't seem to be a feeding problem...it's only a problem if I try to eject the magazine before all the rounds have been cycled through and the magazine is empty...

G

Old January 24, 2000, 01:46 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am curious as to how experienced you are with auto pistols, since this happens with just about all of them. The top cartridge drags the next one along as it feeds, and usually pushes it forward far enough to stick out and keep the mag from dropping. You never notice it in normal firing, but it has to be dealt with if you have a feed jam and follow proper procedure in dropping the magazine first.

Jim
Old January 24, 2000, 03:07 PM   #5
DeakonG

Jim...

guilty as charged...this is my first auto outside of the army...I guess if this is normal, so be it...it was just kinda disconcerting to try to drop the mag and have the top unchambered round hang up...it's really not that big of a deal, just not what I was expecting...I cringed big time when I had to tug on the mag to complete withdrawl and the mag was followed by a round that was pulled free during removal...sorry if my inexperience is showing... ;-) ...I'll try to correct that...

G

[This message has been edited by DeakonG (edited January 24, 2000).]

Old January 24, 2000, 06:30 PM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I'll be happy to echo what Jim said.

They all do it and it's no big deal.

BTW - welcome to TFL! Ask any question you'd like! If you really think it's a "no-brainer" you should feel free to send (me at least) an email.

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Old January 24, 2000, 06:52 PM   #7
blades67

DeakonG, If you recall your military weapons training there are a couple of drills that come to mind. The first is the Tap, Rack, Bang drill. When the weapon goes "click!" instead of "BANG!", slap the bottom of the magazine, rack the slide (bolt, charging handle, etc.) and watch for ejected round, then it is supposed to go "BANG!". If it doesn't, you go immediately into the Remedial Clearance drill. Lock the slide (bolt, charging handle, etc.) back, Strip the magazine out (because the tip of the next round usually moves forward preventing the magazine from dropping free), verify the chamber is empty, reload using Tap, Rack, Bang drill and carry on. It happens to everyone at least once.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

~David~

May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.
Old January 24, 2000, 08:48 PM   #8
VictorLouis

Purchase a new Ruger 8-rd mag w/metal follower. I'd be surprised if it doesn't work better. BTW: WHY can't all MFGR's make a mag w/such a low price?
Old January 25, 2000, 10:40 AM   #9
DeakonG

Blades67...
trust me...I remember the drill...I don't think I'll ever forget it...something about a large guy screaming at you non-stop for a few weeks makes for effective training...the only problem is that being one of those types that made sure the supplies kept flowing limited the amount of hands-on training I received with the pistol...

Thanks Giz...
I figure I'd been lurking long enough...it was time for me to register...and trust me, now that I've started, it'd be a real task to shut me up, no matter how silly a question might be...I'm a big believer in the only stupid question is the one unasked motto...

VictorLouis...
you've stumbled upon one of the reasons I went with Ruger...best bang for the buck out there...my question is why do they even continue making the seven rounder at all...seems to me that if they've got a reliable eight rounder that fits universally with their .45s and doesn't protrude out of the frame, why not just switch over to those completely...but then, mine is not to wonder why...

G

------------------
'When I was a very small boy, very small boys talked to me...Now that we've gown up together, they're afraid of what they say...That's the price that we all pay when valued destiny comes to nothing...'