The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 19, 2000, 05:28 PM   #1
loknload

Harley,
I just purchased a Savage/Stevens Coach gun.
It was cut down from what I believe was a model 5100 or 5700. I can't make out whether it is a 1 or a 7 for sure. I can't locate anything on the web about Stevens shotguns can you help me out? That was the only number I could find on the gun.
Thanks.

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited January 19, 2000).]
Old January 19, 2000, 08:16 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

LOKNLoad
My definition of a coach gun is one with exposed hammers, dbl bbl and with an 18" or less bbl. I don't know of any, nor could I find the model no's you suggested under Savage Savage/Stevens.

HJN
Old January 20, 2000, 09:47 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Stevens made a number of utility-grade side-by-side shotguns up until 1988. They were chambered for most of the common gauges. Most featured double triggers and extractors. Single trigger and ejector models fetch a premiun.
There was a Model 5100 Hammerless Boxlock and a Model 5100 Tenite Hammerless Boxlock. The book I got this out of is somewhat dated (1996) so the pricing is most likely off but they both went then from $700 NIB to $150 Poor.
All Stevens built between March 1949 - December 1968 have a date code on them also. Starting with A in 1949 and ending with V in 1968, skipping O and Q. Usually the date codeis behind the hinge pin or ahead of the triggerquard on the bottom of the frame. It will appear as a small cirlce containing a number and letter. The meaning of the numbers is unknown according to this reference.
Old January 20, 2000, 10:14 AM   #4
loknload

Thanks Harley, Thanks fal for the info. I'll have to get it out a do a closer examination of it. It is quite possible that it is a 5100
fal what you described fits the bill.
Thanks again this answered some questions. Sounds like maybe it should not have been cut down.

Happy Shooting

------------------

Old February 11, 2000, 02:26 AM   #5
loknload

Harley, I posted this some time ago, I rechecked that shotgun. It is a model 5100 and if what fal has said is accurate it was made in 1954. But I still cannot find any other info on this gun. Is it because it was considered utility grade and nothing special.
And what was Tenite ?

------------------