The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 22, 2013, 11:58 AM   #26
sfmedic

If all your asking is how the light is mechanically operated - depends on the light then. what kind of light do you have ? didn't it come with instructions?

if thats it then alabama shooter probably has the best answer so far :-)
Old January 22, 2013, 05:40 PM   #27
Striker1

No...I wanted info on how it was operated..eg, which hand/finger, any changes to grip...

That's all.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:53 PM   #28
Loronzo

It depends on they type of light. Some are pressure switch actuated, some are toggles, some are push buttons. Some have a cord that can be mounted to the grip or along the bottom of the slide. Some mount on picitany rails... etc... just depends on the system you use. Personally I'm not a huge fan on having a light mounted directly on a firearm (pistol anyways) but if you can figure out what setup you want there is pretty much a company that makes that specific system for almost any pistol out there.
Old January 23, 2013, 07:49 AM   #29
shep854

I have an Insight (now EOTec) X2 unit for my Kel-Tec PF9. It has a two-sided 'rocker' switch on the back, where it can be reached by the index fingers. The way I have used it was with a two-handed grip, using the off-hand trigger finger to bump the switch for quick flashes of light.
http://media.midwayusa.com/productim...678/678567.jpg
Old January 24, 2013, 11:36 PM   #30
rburch

Depends entirely on the exact light you have.

Some lights like Crimson Trace's new one has a button on the front of the grip you press with the middle finger of your firing hand.

The Surefire rail mounted ones have switches you can hit with either your trigger finger or support hand thumb. I find the 2nd option to be easier to do, but it requires a 2 hand grip. For the most part I use a handheld light for primary illumination and consider the weapon mounted light to be a backup, for situations where my support hand is occupied with other tasks but I still need a light to make the shot.

So I practice running all my pistol mounted lights with just the firing hand.

I'm sure there are other designs out there, but those are the lights I've played with...
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.