The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2013, 09:45 AM   #1
steve4102

Honing a Bullet Sizing Die.

I want to open my Lee 40/10mm bullet sizing die up to .402.
Will something like this work?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAw&dur=489
Old July 7, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Mike / Tx

Follow the below link,

Enlarging Sizing Dies...

I used some wet dry and added in a touch of 3-1 machine oil. Just rolled it back and forth on my leg like mentioned. It took about half an hour or so to open it up .001" using some 280'ish grit, the another half hour to polish it up really smooth and shiny with some either 6 or 800 grit. I was watching something stupid on the tube while I did it, so it didn't seem too long. I only needed it opened up a touch in the first place though.

Just go slow like they mentioned and every 15 minutes or so, (or between long commercials) run a rag through it and then size a bullet to check progress. You don't have to put much pressure on it let the grit do the work and less pressure keeps it from scratching too deep as well. Just remember, it comes out easier than it goes back in....
Old July 7, 2013, 06:55 PM   #3
snuffy

Yup, get yerself a roll of 320 grit Emory paper. AND a chunk of hardwood dowel + a fine scroll saw blade and handle.

With those supplies, you can cut a slit about ¾ " long right down the middle of the dowel. Make the dowel about 6" long, you'll need ¼ dowel for a .312 sizer. cut the Emory,(actually it tears easily like duct tape), about as wide as the slit in the dowel is long.

You can roll it on your leg if you want, I just chuck it in a variable speed drill motor. A bit of 3 in 1 oil will keep things cooler. With the drill, it doesn't take much, or very long to wear the required amount of metal from the inside, go a little, size a boolit, then go some more. You don't need a finer grit, the 320 is fine enough and when it wears out it gets finer.

As for those ball hones, yes they would work, BUT getting one the right diameter might be hard. AND most likely more expensive than the Emory method.

Nice thing about the Emory paper is it will work on ANY size die, simply wrap more paper to increase the diameter. Bigger dies will allow you to use bigger dowels. The ¼ dowel will break quite easily, so if you're careful, it should work fine.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 7, 2013, 07:57 PM   #4
myfriendis410

Also; the direction of the lapping marks pretty much eliminates any scratches transferred to the bullet when the sandpaper is spun on a dowel.
Old July 8, 2013, 06:42 AM   #5
steve4102

Thanks gentlemen. I bought some 320, 400, 600 grit emery paper and a 5/15 steel rod. Polished it down to a perfect .402 in no time.

Found this over at the Cast site too.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/How...Size%20Die.pdf
Old July 8, 2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Mike / Tx

Good deal, glad it was easy for you to get it done.