The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2013, 08:55 PM   #1
ccwnut

Ruger SR9c or S&W M&P9c for ccw?

Between the two of these, which would you choose? I want a new ccw weapon, but it has to be U.S.-made and simple to operate. I know both of these guns are very popular, but what's everyone else's opinion? Whichever one I choose will be a 9mm. Renting either gun isn't option, as no ranges near me rent guns.
Old April 22, 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Can you go hold them some place?

Personally after owning both I prefer the M&P 9c.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 22, 2013, 09:16 PM   #3

I like your criteria . If the extra capacity matters to u (and it should) the smith is the clear winner. 12 vs 10. I will admit the Ruger is a hair smaller with more rounded edges, probably a little easier to conceal. On a Side note, I own the smith 9c and have the mags equipped with Mec-gar + 2 base plates (only lengthens the grip a little bit, no more than the pinky extension does) just remove the pinky extension and replace with the mec-gar base plates. Now you have 14 rounds of 9mm in a compact gun. Not sure if the same trick works on the ruger
Old April 22, 2013, 09:57 PM   #4
PatientWolf

I've never shot the M&P, but I just got the SR9c and it seems to be great. I've already fed a variety of ammo through it without a hitch and find it to be very accurate and easy to shoot. I shot the variety through both the 10-rd and the 17-rd magazines that came with the gun.

I let a friend who just got a LC9 shoot my SR9c and he can't stop talking about how he should have gotten the SR9c.

The only change I'm contemplating is adding night sights and maybe another 17-rd magazine.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:46 PM   #5
WiscBuckmaster

Quote:
If the extra capacity matters to u (and it should) the smith is the clear winner. 12 vs 10
The sr9c comes with a 17 round magazine with an adapter sleeve on it, so actually the ruger is the clear winner regarding capacity. Ive got around 1,500 rounds of cheap range ammo through mine and not 1 single ftf or fte no hiccups whatsoever. I wrote a 1,000 round review a while back in this thread and I would highly recommend the sr9c to anyone. Nothing against the m&p i have very limited experience with it and really enjoyed it, so I'm not trying to sway you either way just giving some info to consider.
Old April 22, 2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Justice06RR

^ The M&P9c is also capable of accepting the full size 17rd mags, although they don't come with one in the box; just buy the 17-rounder if you feel the need to. So that makes it even with capacity. Its just nicer that Ruger gives you the compact and the fullsize mag together.
Old April 23, 2013, 12:13 AM   #7
jr24

I chose the SR9c based mostly on trigger pull when I made the same decision. The little gun is startlingly accurate in my hands, has been 100% reliable over 2500 rounds, carries well and conceals really easily for me.

The M&P is also quite nice, but I didn't care for the trigger. YMMV of course.
Old April 23, 2013, 12:50 AM   #8
915A

I was in the same debate with myself. But the trigger felt better and at the time the price felt better on my wallet for the Ruger SR9c. I am just shy of the 1000rd mark and not a single issue. Carries well, shoots extremely well, and feels great in the hand. Not saying the M&P isnt any good, it all comes down to preference. I dont think you could go wrong with either.
Old April 23, 2013, 01:39 AM   #9
JimmyR

WTH, a ruger vs smith debate in the semi-automatic forum? And no-one's mentioned a Glock yet? Wow, what happened?

All kidding aside, I suggest going and holding the weapons you are considering. I don't own either, but when I was shopping around last time, I felt that the Ruger with the mag extension felt "wobbly" for a lack of a better word, and just generally uncomfortable. See how they hold, and then make your decision.
Old April 23, 2013, 02:09 AM   #10

There are a lot of "clear winners " in this debate. The question on capacity isn't just total in "any mag" but max number of rounds in the compact mag. They both will hold 17 with the full size mag. In compact form the smith holds 2 more rounds, or 4 more with the mec- gar base plate. Even if the same baseplate can be used on the Ruger (anyone know if it can?) The Smith will always give you at least 2 more rounds with the compact Grip Configuration.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:58 AM   #11
wbw

I bought the SR9c because I didn't like the trigger on the M&P. I'm really surprised how much I like the Ruger. It's just the right size and weight. No problems so far. It would be my carry gun if I didn't live in a communist state (Maryland).
Old April 23, 2013, 09:13 AM   #12
ScotchMan

I'll get a lot of crap for this, but I am convinced the M&P is a much higher quality firearm, and will stand up to high round counts better than the Ruger. My SR9c had to go back to the factory twice and then I sold it. I believe M&Ps are better made.

You also have the option of not having the unnecessary safety, unnecessary mag disconnect, unnecessary loaded chamber indicator, and can install the awesome Apex trigger kit. The only thing I prefer about the Ruger is the striker indicator you can put your thumb over when you holster.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old April 23, 2013, 10:30 AM   #13
shuler13

The M&P9c Talo pack comes with both the small and 17 round mags and a sleeve for the full mag. The xgrip sleeve makes the m&p9c very comfortable to shoot.

The triggers are different between ghe two and the latest triggers from M&P is considerably smoother than my full size and IMO don't require the APEX kit (my full size did). The trigger may be the deciding factor and I can go either way.

The safety features on the Ruger I could care less for, but there they are. I say rent/borrow and shoot both and then decide.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:39 AM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
the latest triggers from M&P is considerably smoother than my full size and IMO don't require the APEX kit (my full size did).
Completely agree with this. I recently bought a new M&P 9 fullsize and a M&P 9 compact. Both triggers were MUCH better than the first generation M&P triggers. I did put APEX kits in them, but to be honest I feel that it was a waste of money.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 23, 2013, 11:23 AM   #15
RBid

I chose the SR9c, and have only come to love the pistol even more as time has gone on. 2,200+ rounds through it with zero malfunctions, and it is extremely easy to be accurate with.

Having said that...

The M&P 9c was a very close second. It is comparably flat shooting & controllable, and even the old M&P trigger is fine in live fire. As ScotchMan said, the pistol feels more refined. It fills the hand better, and the backstrap system is, in my opinion, the best on the market. In terms of performance... In rapid fire, they are equals for me. In slow fire, I am able to be more precise with the SR9c. Where the M&P really beats the Ruger is in surface treatment.

They are both fantastic products, backed up with outstanding customer service.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:05 AM   #16
SIMP

I own and M&P9c and I really like it. I don't carry it though because I like smaller guns for carry. It's my home defense pistol with the 17-round mag and X-grip. Never had a single problem and the gun is top notch quality.

I also like Rugers having owned LCP, LC9 and P95. But the M&P is a much nicer firearm in my opinion. Good luck.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:18 PM   #17
ccwnut

And the winner is...

The Ruger SR9c! For those wondering why: price and availability. I'll just have to save up the necessary funds to buy one. I intend to make two upgrades: a Crimson Trace laser, along with a Crossbreed Appendix Carry holster and single mag pouch.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:26 PM   #18

Look at the internals of the Ruger and you'll be even happier with your decision. The front slide rails are part of the chamber-block and considerably longer making it a good bit stronger in comparison the the M&P or a Glock. Like the XD/XDm series, Ruger went with the chamber-block design borrowed from the SIG/Sauer P-22X series. The Ruger also breaks down into sub-assembly groups. It is an excellent design. Ruger's best pistol yet if not their best handgun yet. I have the SR9 and due to the thinness of the pistol, I can conceal it without a problem. Congrats on getting the SR9c.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:55 PM   #19
CWKahrFan

The versatility of the 2 different-size SRc mags is a huge plus for me... It's like owning two guns for the price of one.

I have the .40 and like it a LOT! (Though I did epoxy a small strip of polymer inside the magwell to get the mag tightness I prefer.)
Old April 25, 2013, 01:30 AM   #20
comn-cents

Of the 2 I kept the Ruger, better trigger better all around feel, for me.
Old April 25, 2013, 06:45 AM   #21
915A

Quote:
I intend to make two upgrades: a Crimson Trace laser
Just get the TALO edition and it comes with it. Good choice by the way, I dont think you will be disappointed!
Old April 25, 2013, 08:07 AM   #22
wbw

Good choice although I'm sure the M&P would work well also.
Old April 25, 2013, 12:11 PM   #23
vba

Sheeze...It looks like about 50:50 here. I compared the two and walked out with the M&P9c. The trigger is great on mine and it doesn't have all the lawyer safeties and such.

Either gun is a good choice!
Old April 25, 2013, 02:12 PM   #24
cetanner

After shooting and evaluating the SR9C, M&P9C, SA9, and Glock 26, I chose the SR9C. I have fired over 2000 rounds through it without a single problem. I use it for CC.

Whatever you choose, I would hold and shoot them first. Doesn't make sense to me to buy what someone else likes. Good luck.
Old April 25, 2013, 05:24 PM   #25
breakingcontact

They're both good.

I prefer the M&P but won't run down Rugers to feel better about what I like. Glocks are great too. So are Springfields.

Enjoy.