The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 12, 2002, 11:29 PM   #1
Kukri

AK Pistol Manufacture

I was wondering if it would be possible or more importantly, legal to build an AK pistol, without it being classified as a short barrel rifle? Could I use a new receiver to build it up so it would not be designed to be a shoulder arm? I need some advice on this subject.
Old October 12, 2002, 11:41 PM   #2
Hkmp5sd

Yes....

it is legal to manufacture an AK pistol. First you need a receiver that has NEVER been completed into a rifle. Then you must manufacture it without creating a new "assault weapon" which is:

(c) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip,
(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash
suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer,
(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned,
(4) A manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded, and
(5) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

Hard part would be keeping it under 50 ounces.

NRA Life Member
Old October 12, 2002, 11:59 PM   #3
Kukri

So do you think wooden handgrip on the front would be considered a shroud?
Old October 13, 2002, 12:54 AM   #4
Hkmp5sd

It would not be a shroud, it would be a forward handgrip and thus illegal.

NRA Life Member
Old October 13, 2002, 06:22 AM   #5
rocko

I don't think its possible to get an AK pistol in under 50 oz. Only postban ones I've seen use a chinese 75 round drum that is permanently attached to the receiver, and so no detachable mag. The top of the drum opens up, so you can still load it while attached.

I think the only way you'll be able to make a postban legal "pistol" is to register it as an AOW. If you submit the form 1 yourself, it will cost $200. However, if a class 2 manufacturer does it, they can transfer it to you for only $5. You'd still need to go through all the paperwork and wait time, though. Same as mentioned before, the receiver can never have had a stock attached, so you'll need to start out with a bare one.

Rocko