The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 13, 2009, 03:07 PM   #101
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Many people ( myself included ) have shunned S&W because of the internal lock and concerns that it may disable the revolver at the worst time... it's the main reason that I have purchased SP 101s instead of a S&W offering.
But those concerns are pretty much unfounded statistically. That is like not swimming because of a fear of being eaten by a Kraken.

In fact, if you search the web you will find more claims of SP101's failing due to poorly produced barrels than you will Smith's failing because of locks. Add in the fact that this particular Ruger is completely untested and I would not choose it over a Smith.

Last edited by Playboypenguin; January 13, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old January 13, 2009, 03:13 PM   #102
dipper

Quote:
But those concerns are pretty much unfounded statistically.
True, but they have failed and even if it is a very small possibility that it COULD fail, I just don't think it's worth the chance---just my opinion.

OK, what the heck is a Kraken?
Old January 13, 2009, 03:20 PM   #103
18DAI

I've never even read on the internet, of Ruger SP101's with a failed barrel?? Got a link?

I have seen a bunch of NC DOC S&W IL model 64's with their barrels blown off. A reporter did a big story on it in the Winston Salem journal IIRC.

I have personally witnessed two S&W IL revolvers fail, and lock up tight at the range.

I'll buy one of these Rugers. The two new GP100's I purchased in the last two years are sweet.

Besides even if the wind up revolvers were as reliable as the old S&W pre locks, they are STILL UGLY !! Regards 18DAI.
Old January 13, 2009, 03:22 PM   #104
Playboypenguin

Quote:
True, but they have failed and even if it is a very small possibility that it COULD fail, I just don't think it's worth the chance---just my opinion.
Then you definitely would not want a Ruger because they can fail too...or a Colt...or a Springer...etc.
Quote:
OK, what the heck is a Kraken?
Old January 13, 2009, 03:27 PM   #105
2ndamd

PBP said: I
Quote:
will take the reliable, but cosmetically blemished, Smith over an unproven new design
I know you would.
This is not meant to be a criticism of you. I have been on these forums long enough to know what you like. I disagree with you sometimes. No big deal.

I will never own a Smith with an internal lock. I don't need others to validate my choice. The choice is mine alone. But, if populace rules in the forum world? Then, there are many others who have decided on this choice as well.

I know you would take a Hillary Hole over a new polymer from Ruger. I would opt for the Ruger.

Opinions vary. Choice is a good thing. Don't ya think?

See you on the boards.
Old January 13, 2009, 03:29 PM   #106
2ndamd

I have never seen or heard of a SP101 failing. The barrel issues were just turned too tight. this caused the gun to shoot to the left or right. It certainly never failed like the S&W IL failures. No Kracken needed. The IL failures are real and documented. Look at the S&W forum for documentation.
Old January 13, 2009, 03:30 PM   #107
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I know you would take a Hillary Hole over a new polymer from Ruger. I would opt for the Ruger.
Even though their last two polymer guns have been subject to recall? You will still rather trust another untested polymer gun from them over a proven platform for SD?
Old January 13, 2009, 03:32 PM   #108
2ndamd

Yea. I would. I don't want to argue opinions with you. I know you're a good guy. We just don't see eye-to-eye on a few issues. No big deal.
Old January 13, 2009, 03:42 PM   #109
18DAI

Yes, Ruger recalled their defective handguns. I applaud them for that.

Contrast that to S&W still denying that they are even aware of a single internal lock failure. BS flag on that.

Sorry to further derail the thread. Regards 18DAI.
Old January 13, 2009, 03:52 PM   #110
Sarvisian

I'll buy one (or two) and as soon as I feel it's a solid performer I'll trust it, just like any gun I buy. Just because a design is proven doesn't mean the individual sample is, I put 500 to 1000 rounds through any gun before it is allowed to do defensive duty.
Old January 13, 2009, 04:01 PM   #111
ricsmty

Can someone explain Hilary Hole?
Old January 13, 2009, 04:18 PM   #112
csmsss

Quote:
Yes - it's an enormous chasm from whence lies and deceit burst forth:

Old January 13, 2009, 04:41 PM   #113
rantingredneck

I hope it doesn't have an infernal lock. The LCP didn't. Maybe this one won't either.......

We can hope....

The more I look at it the more I want one. Would make a nice pocket carry "new york reload" for my SP101 (that is way too heavy/large to pocket carry, but works so well IWB for me....)

I wonder if Ruger used the same grip dimension as an existing design (their own or S&W) to get CT grips to fit it so quickly? Possible? Looks significantly smaller than the SP101 grip stud so I imagine it's borrowed from Smith and Wesson if it's an existing CTC model.

Then again that pic could be a mockup and the CTC grips may not actually be available yet. I guess we'll see soon when the official announcement comes.

RE: Smith and Wesson IL lock failures:

A local fellow here, who is active on carolinashootersforum.com has had a recent S&W IL model spontaneously lock under recoil at the range twice. It's been back to Smith both times for repair of the IL. It is now exhibiting flame cutting and he's sent pics to Smith. They want it back for repair for the third time.

They ain't what they used to be........

As someone who had to send my LCP in for repair under the recall, I appreciate Ruger stepping forward with a fix vs. denial that a problem exists.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 13, 2009, 04:42 PM   #114
oneounceload

Jusr disable the IL and you'll have no worries
Old January 13, 2009, 05:27 PM   #115
hoytinak

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload
Jusr disable the IL and you'll have no worries
But you still have that ugly hole. :barf: But as Playboy said, the looks of your carry gun should be your last concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsmty
The key hole for the internal lock.

Last edited by hoytinak; January 13, 2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old January 13, 2009, 05:32 PM   #116
oneounceload

maybe so, but it will function just fine....

I wouldn't touch this new Ruger for at least a year - not with their current record on quality issues
Old January 13, 2009, 06:40 PM   #117
Playboypenguin

Quote:
But you still have that ugly hole. But as Playboy said, the looks of your carry gun should be your last concern.
I do believe you can disable the lock without removing it. All you have to do is file off the piece in the inside that catches the the inner workings.

Old January 13, 2009, 07:15 PM   #118
rjrivero

Back to the "Mystery Ruger"

I like the look. The cylinder flutes are mean looking. It's kinda got that "Batman Industrial" kind of look.
Old January 13, 2009, 07:29 PM   #119
ricsmty

My Taurus 85 has a lock like the S&W only it's at the base of the trigger. Hasen't been a problem so far. <500 rounds.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:41 PM   #120
Sarge

Quote:
Yes - it's an enormous chasm from whence lies and deceit burst forth:
(Hillary Pic)
You know, for the first time in my life I feel genuinely sorry for Bill
Old January 13, 2009, 09:47 PM   #121
B.N.Real

Eh,who knows,maybe Ruger has something here.

Superlight weight,low cost and maybe,just maybe no defects.

This might be the future of all revolvers.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:50 PM   #122
Playboypenguin

Quote:
This might be the future of all revolvers.
Polymer the future of revolvers???? :barf::barf:

I am giving you exactely 2 minutes to take that back! That kind of talk might be acceptable over on the Glock boards, but not around these parts it isn't.

I am seriously thinking of reporting that post as inappropriate.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:53 PM   #123
hoytinak

Yeah next thing you know Glock will be coming out with the "perfect" revolver.

Sorry.....someone had to say it.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:19 PM   #124
B.N.Real

Easy there PBP.

Just a WILD guess there.

Ain't nuthin' better than a good old steel revolver.

Unless it's a NEW Steel Revolver.

Rack them chambers,it's like MUSIC!

Still,in your pocket,a superlightweight powerhouse revolver has it's place.

I hope Ruger beat the dogsnot out of this gun in trials before it ever reaches the market.

It will be compared with the Scandium Smith's without a doubt and those have been very reliable as far as I have read.
Old January 14, 2009, 12:14 AM   #125
Wuchak

The recalls that Ruger has done recently were not for "major" issues. The guns were not unsafe to shoot or faulty. They happen to discharge if dropped onto a hard surface at exactly the right angle. Not every time they are dropped even, just at that certain angle. Most other manufacturers wouldn't bother doing a recall, especially on guns so recently released so they could avoid tainting them. Ruger, being Ruger, decided that any chance of a problem was too big and did a recall. Back in the early 1990's when departments were looking at Glocks guess what the discovered? That's right, when dropped they would discharge. Only it wasn't at just a certain angle. It was bad enough that it cause many departments to pass over them. I don't recall Glock doing a recall. I don't remember a big announcement of any redesign to correct this in later versions. And I don't see Glock being slammed for not fixing them or for having a faulty design. A major problem and design flaw would be making a handgun for a high pressure round with a chamber that doesn't fully support the cartridge allowing numerous cases where the gun blows apart. Now that's a major problem. Still no recall from Glock on that one either. As others have pointed out there is still no admission from S&W that there is a serious problem of the locks self engaging in the lightweight revolvers. I guess someone has to get killed because their gun locks up in a gunfight before S&W will do something. If it was Ruger after the 2nd report of the problem they would have done a recall and fixed it.