The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
BigTex308

Shotshell Loaders......Progressive or single stage

I'm wondering if I should get a single stage or progressive press.

I'm going to reload skeet loads and also steel for duck hunting. I won't reload a ton but I'd like to be able to crank out quite a bit of rounds in a short amount of time.

I know with brass reloading there is a HUGE difference between single stage and progressive. Is this the same with shotshell?

About how long does it take to make a box of shells once you have it setup on a single stage? Progressive?

Just trying to figure out if it's worth it to go progressive or if I'd be better off sticking with a single stage.

Also, what presses do you reccomend? I'm guessing one out of the MEC line up

Thanks in advance!

Ike
Old March 15, 2013, 07:20 AM   #2
twice barrel

Get a progressive for the target loads, set it up for that load, that hull and primer and leave it that way. Get a single-stage for your hunting loads.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:49 AM   #3
wild willy

I would get a Mec sizemaster to start with.Learn the basics easier to change from skeet to duck loads.If after you load on it a while you decide you want faster you can leave the sizemaster set up for your duck loads and get a progressive.Mec says 4 to 6 boxes a hour on the sizemaster its been a long time since I counted how many in a hour but if I remember correctly it was easy to get 6 boxes a hour

Last edited by wild willy; March 15, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
kdemers58

i have 6 shot gun loaders a 5 are mec and 1 is a ponce/warren i like the mec much simpler to change 3 are 650 the others are 600 one of the 650 is set up just for loading steel duck loads i took a alder 12 ga 650 and sent it into mec they rebuilt it and made it a steel only loader works great you can load around 10 boxes a hour once its all set up the single stage are set for 28 ga and 410 you get around 4-5 boxes a hour with them they make a grabber that will do it all but they are twice the price some of my friends at the club use them and they work great but they shoot 1000's of rounds a year . good luck