The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Anthony C.

3 Times Fired Brass Accuracy

Are you guys getting the same accuracy out of twice fired and 3 times fired brass? I can see how the answer would be "no" if the internal volume of the casing changes as it's fired, since the brass is lengthened and you shave some off each time. I'm hoping it's just as accurate, just because that would save time and money.

Thanks,
t
Old August 6, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2
50 shooter

If you handload you should be getting better results from once, twice... fired brass. If it's been fired out of a bolt gun then all you need to do is check the OAL and then neck size the brass.

You can get into it more like turning the necks, squaring up the primer pockets and deburring the flash holes. Not to mention seperating the cases by weight, bullets by weight... The list goes on, it just depends on how much work you want to do to your loads to get the best accuracy.
No time for rearranging.
Old August 6, 2008, 08:02 PM   #3
rrp

I've got about the same results with my 223 and 22-250 handloads with brass that has been loaded 6 times. I haven't shot any of my other cal. that many times so I couldn't tell you much on them. I full length size mine as I use them in different rifles. I trim the brass after 2 firings.