The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 27, 2009, 03:38 AM   #1
Para Bellum

Hydra-Shok 9x19mm 124gr on Boar, any experience?

Hi there,

who has experience with Federal Hydra-Shok in 9x19mm, 124gr, on Boar or similar tough game?

Last edited by Para Bellum; February 27, 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old February 27, 2009, 05:52 AM   #2
hoji

If it is in a trap.....maybe, but only if I did not have a more suitable pistol with me.{ a Ruger MKII for instance} I am sure a shot high on the head and between the eyes will do it, I would rather have something with more penetration.

I watched a rather disgusting video of some git pumping half a magazine full of hydra-shok 9mm from a carbine into a pig. All shoulder and body shots. After a 15 rounds and about 3 minutes this pig finally died. I think the shooter was experimenting with different rounds.

That being said, I carry hydrashoks in my Glock 19, but these are for much thinner skinned varmints.
Old February 27, 2009, 07:22 AM   #3
VaFisher

I saw a freind shoot a boar that was in th 200lb range 13 times and then borrowed my 44 to kill it.
When we cleaned it not the first bullet made it past the fatty area into any vitals or mussel tisue.
With that said I would not recomend shooting any boar with a 9mm no matter what bullet choice unless you want a real mad wounded boar on you rear end.
The only reason it worked for my freind was the boar was about 15 ft down in a ditch so the boar no matter how hard he tried could not get up the bank plus he stayed there to take all 13 rounds.
Old February 27, 2009, 08:00 AM   #4
goodspeed(TPF)

In the+P loading I have used the HS124gr on WI Deer (150lb) and have had good results. (I would NOT use the standard pressure HS)

The COR-BON loadings in 115gr and 124gr are much more effective though. Shot placement is the key here. I used a Taurus PT99 with a Bar-Sto 6"bbl. IIRC the 115s were traveling at well over 1500fps and the 124s were just over 1400. The damage done by the 115s was massive as a shot just above the heart broadside totally displaced the entire top half of the heart. It was basically pulp. The deer dropped on the spot. That Deer was shot at @40yds. The bullet was recovered in 5 pieces and weighed @80grs. We never found all the pieces of that bullet. Good 9mm loadings CAN and HAVE been used on Boar (I have not as of yet) but as with ALL hunting you MUST do your part. Good luck.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml

Last edited by goodspeed(TPF); February 27, 2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old February 27, 2009, 08:28 AM   #5
skydiver3346

Using a 9mm on a boar?

Wow, this is the first time I have ever heard of anyone doing that. Woefully underpowered round for a boar. I don't believe that is fair to the game you are hunting to use this caliber. In a cage, it would be okay I guess for a between the eyes shot but no where else would I ever choose a 9mm for any kind of hunting wild game. (just my opinion)
Old February 27, 2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Noonan

personal anecdote

My buddy shot a 400+ lb feral pig a couple of weeks ago. He put a shot through the shoulder with a 270. This was at dusk, so he came back the next morning to find the pig. It had apparently lived through most of the night. There was no exit wound. He caped out the thing and the shield around the neck and shoulder was 2" thick. My point is - I wouldn't shoot one with any kind of hollow-point pistol ammo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC080018[1].jpg (110.5 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Noonan; February 27, 2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: add photo
Old February 27, 2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Close up, "eatin' size", and a head shot? Probably work just fine. But I certainly wouldn't regard it as really useful against a large and hostile hog.

I've stood still with the wind advantage and had hogs come within ten feet of me. I'd have no qualms about head-shooting a shoat under those conditions. Otherwise? I'd much prefer more gun.
Old February 27, 2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

A 9mm for a wild board sounds like a rather terrible idea. I could be wrong on this, but is it even legal to use hollow point pistol ammo as hunting rounds?

Either way, unless it was a coup de gras, I'd want more gun. You owe that to not only the boar, but yourself as a hunter.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; February 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old February 27, 2009, 12:13 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Legal or not... Morally proper or not... I would much rather have both hands free for tree climbing than have one clogged up with a wad of formed metal... and that is exactly what I would consider a 9mm on a hog hunt... DEAD WEIGHT!!! As art said I would use one to "put 'em down" for slaughter or possibly, a coup de gras shot on a severly wounded and suffering pig... But for either of those options a .22lr would also suffice
Brent
Old February 27, 2009, 02:42 PM   #10
Para Bellum

Quote:
Wow, this is the first time I have ever heard of anyone doing that. Woefully underpowered round for a boar. I don't believe that is fair to the game you are hunting to use this caliber. In a cage, it would be okay I guess for a between the eyes shot but no where else would I ever choose a 9mm for any kind of hunting wild game. (just my opinion)
That's what I thought as well. But a clerk at a hunting store told me yesterday that he had used them for close work on hogs and they had worked fine.
Sounded very weird to me so I started this thread to get more experience.
I'd use nothing but my rifle (7x57) even for close work and/or finishing shots. My Glock 19 will be there only for emergencies and loaded with extreme penetrating and not expanding "FL"s.
Old February 27, 2009, 05:36 PM   #11
hoji

Quote:
But a clerk at a hunting store told me yesterday that he had used them for close work on hogs and they had worked fine.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Those guys are usually FOS.
Old February 27, 2009, 06:36 PM   #12
goodspeed(TPF)

I would use one of my 10mm Glocks iffin I were to hit some Pigs but here is a nice little write-up for those so inclined to read such things. http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Javelina.htm

Old March 1, 2009, 06:15 AM   #13
hoji

Quote:
I would use one of my 10mm Glocks iffin I were to hit some Pigs but here is a nice little write-up for those so inclined to read such things. http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Javelina.htm

BIG difference between a 35 lb javelina and a 350lb boar.
Old March 1, 2009, 09:22 AM   #14
45Marlin carbine

I haven't used my Camp 9 on any game animal yet but it would do the job w/good placement I'm sure. likely head/neck shots would be called for.
have taken a wild/feral hog (little over 200 lbs field dressed) with a head shot useing my Camp .45acp stoked with Win. Silver-tips. blew a good chunk of skull and brain off. DRT.
Old March 1, 2009, 09:33 AM   #15
a7mmnut

I'll have to agree with the crowd here. I doubt if very many people can take a gun sighted in for 50 ft. or less and just make one HIT, much less kill a pig at any longer distance. Save up for a Contender or Encore. That being said, I stoked two mags full of the 147 gr. HSHP for the house before my Magsafes get here.

-7-
Old March 1, 2009, 11:17 AM   #16
skydiver3346

Hoji is right about this:

Good answer hoji, (regarding the boar and the javalina..........)
Old March 1, 2009, 01:00 PM   #17
goodspeed(TPF)

Quote:
BIG difference between a 35 lb javelina and a 350lb boar.
Thou speaketh the truth insomuch that a large fully growed Boar be bigger than a large fully growed Javelina. Except your "35lb" estimate is a bit off in my experience as most of the ones that I have seen shot were in the 50-80lb range.

Old March 7, 2009, 11:34 PM   #18
YARDDOG(1)

If I'd use a 9mm i'd use NATO FMJ Good penatratoin Y/D