The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 6, 2009, 07:52 PM   #1
JohnH1963

Can I trust Walmart generic hollow points as my main self-defense ammo?

When I go to Walmart, there are boxes and boxes of cheap hollow-point ammo? Sometimes they are cheaper then the non-generic FMJ.

What can I lose by going with the generic hollow-point? All of the hollow-points look the same to me.
Old January 6, 2009, 07:57 PM   #2
TRaGiK

Walmart carries generic ammo?

All I've ever seen is CCI, Winchester, and Remington/UMC...
Old January 6, 2009, 08:07 PM   #3
dabigguns357

I think it's safe to say that you can trust walmart's generic ammo.Thats mainly what i use when target practicing,their hollow points are mainly lead where as most other hollowpoints are jacketed hollow points.When using personal defence rounds i would use jhp's only because i mainly carry semi-autos and jhp's feed better in mine.Now if you are using a revolver they are great.So yea go out and have fun with em.
Old January 6, 2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Japle

Winchester JHP from WalMart may not be as good as premium JHP ammo from a major company, but it's better than just about anything you could get 20 years ago at any price.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd carry it and not be concerned.
Old January 6, 2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Keltyke

Quote:
Winchester JHP from WalMart may not be as good as premium JHP ammo from a major company
And how is Winchester NOT a major company???

If Wal-Mart has their own brand of ammo (I've never seen it), it's made by someone else. Wal-Mart doesn't make ammo. The problem is: you don't know who made it or what the specs/ballistics are on it. As for what they carry, a reputable band of JHP (such as Winchester) will suffice for some. However, I prefer a couple of brands Wal-Mart doesn't carry, namely Speer and Corbon.

Just for the record, Are you willing to compromise your safety on cheap, unknown ammo???
Old January 6, 2009, 09:00 PM   #6
A/C Guy

The "generic" ammo is Winchester JHP. I just bought several boxes. Winchester is not going to make "cheap" ammo that does not work. They don't want to risk a lawsuit, all ammo from a major maker is going to be consistent in quality and performance.
Old January 6, 2009, 09:04 PM   #7
hoytinak

The Winchester 230gr HP's I get at Wal-Mart are what I carry in my S&W commander, it's always been consistent, it doesn't cost so much that I can't practice with it too and most important, it's functions 100% it my commander.
Old January 6, 2009, 09:05 PM   #8
luvsasmith

Not sure....

If I consider Winchester to be a premium JHP (its not Federal). There is no doubt that Winchester is a good name brand, reliable ammo. It is no Hydrashok and they do not make the claims that other companies make in their advertising. I think this may be what the other poster was trying to say.
Old January 6, 2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Deaf Smith

Reminds me of along time ago a doctor friend of mine wanted a Browning .22 rifle. I told him they had them at Wal-Mart. He secrewed up his face and said, "but are they any good?"

If you get Winchester, Remington, CCI, and Federal JHPs at Wal-mart, I can assure you they are the same Winchester, Remington, CCI, and Federal JHPs you get at any fancy store. They don't sell 'seconds' in the sporting goods section.
Old January 6, 2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Inspector3711

Winchester may not be a "premium" hollowpoint... But I'd bet a whole lotta paychecks they killed lots of bad guys before there was such a thing as "premium". I'd bet my life that I could kill you just as dead as with Speer gold dots or whatever as long as I hit the mark...

Another example, Remington has been making Core Lokt hunting bullets for as long as I can recall (I'm in my mid 40's). Everybody has to have the whiz bang partition, H frame, premium bonded, sintered, ultra fancy bullets (yours truly included). The old Core lokt just got a top rating against all the latest technology bullets.

The point is, there may be an advantage to hydrashoks or the other premiums, but a guy doesn't live any longer with a Remington or Winchester HP to the chest. Shot placement matters most.
Old January 6, 2009, 09:39 PM   #11
jt2134

I sure hope it is as I got over a 1000 rounds saved up! I carry it in my daily carry gun everyday.
Old January 6, 2009, 09:42 PM   #12
dakota223

depends our walmarts sell remington bulk packs. after running some through my glock and ruger 9mm i wont ever buy remington bulk pack again same problem both guns problems cycling and 3 stovepipes. They pump the ammo out so quickly anymore with all manufacturers that i think i got into a bad batch of remington. And ive heard the same from a few others. I dont think the charge was full power in that batch.
Old January 6, 2009, 09:50 PM   #13
Inspector3711

I don't blame you there dakota! Some ammo won't feed in some guns. That ammo make work fine in a different pistol. Neither my .22LR pistol or rifle will feed remington ammo.

That said, Remington ammo works fine in my bolt guns and their bullets are good for reloading to save a buck.
Old January 6, 2009, 11:07 PM   #14
Jim March

Depends on caliber and gun. In 38Spl from a snub, I'm very picky about ammo...not many rounds work and *nothing* that I've ever seen for sale at WallyWorld. See my comments here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330093

As another example: 45ACP from a 5" barrel, most JHPs will work OK...but get down to a 3.5" and you need to be more discriminating.
Old January 7, 2009, 09:09 AM   #15
TacticalDefense1911

I agree that it depends on the caliber. Its hard to find a bad 40 S&W jhp load. Its hard to find a bad 230gr. jph load for 45's also. The problem with the "generic" jhp's is their expansion reliablity after penetrating heavy clothing, consistency and weight retention. Bullets like the Gold Dot, HST, and DPX are designed to consistently expand after penetrating many different kinds of barriers. Generics will go bang every time; thats not the issue. The Winchester white box jhp's are arguably the best of the budget jph loads available. For calibers other than 40 and 45 I would stick with better bullet designs to ensure proper penetration and expansion, however.
Old January 7, 2009, 03:33 PM   #16
troy_mclure

im not a bog fan of 180gr in my xd40sc for personal defense. the lighter bullets shoot flatter with less recoil, making me more accurate, and follow up shots faster.

wallyworld rarely sells any .40S&W jhp, let alone 165gr jhp.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 7, 2009, 03:52 PM   #17
Whirlwind06

Winchester personal defense ammo from Wal-mat is about the only SD ammo I can afford right now. I see the same boxes at Gander Mountain selling for $15 or so more.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:08 PM   #18
Deet

I'd use it.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:25 PM   #19
ElectricHellfire

Its been just fine in my guns.

Quote:
Walmart carries generic ammo?
Yes, I believe its under the brand name Equate or Great Value.
Old January 7, 2009, 06:28 PM   #20
Jim March

Quote:
Its hard to find a bad 40 S&W jhp load. Its hard to find a bad 230gr. jph load for 45's also.
Yup - although again, 230s in a short barrel 45 can be trouble.

Another "eats anything" caliber (within reason of course) is the 357Maggie . Winchester white box 110gr 357 from WallyWorld will put a serious hurt on.
Old January 7, 2009, 06:35 PM   #21
katana8869

Here are my water jug test results with some of the ammo that is available at Wal-Mart.

.38+p Winchester Personal Protection 125gr SJHP
Fired from my S&W 638, 1 7/8" barrel
------------------------------------------------
Shot 1 expanded to .553 - Bullet penetrated completely through 2 jugs and as recovered in the 3rd jug with no fragmentation

Shot 2 expanded to .525 - Bullet penetrated completely through 2 jugs and was recovered in the 3rd jug with no fragmentation

.38+P Remington UMC 125gr SJHP
Fired from my S&W 638, 1 7/8" barrel
-------------------------------------------
Shot 1 expanded to .380 - Bullet penetrated completely through 3 jugs and was recovered from the 4th, the bullet fragmented, fragments were found in the 2nd jug

Shot 2 expanded to .489 - Bullet penetrated completely through 2 jugs and was recovered from the 3rd where it was found stuck in the backside of the 3rd jug without fully penetrating it, the bullet fragmented, fragments were again found in the 2nd jug

9mm Remington UMC 115gr JHP ( only one round fired )
Fired from my Glock 19
---------------------------------------------------------------
Shot 1 expanded to .605 - Bullet penetrated through 2 jugs and was recovered from the 3rd. Excellent even expansion, no fragmentation

.45 Remington UMC 230gr JHP ( only one round fired )
Fired from my Ruger P345, 4" barrel
----------------------------------------------------------
Shot 1 .667 - Bullet penetrated through 3 jugs was recovered from the 4th with no fragmentation

I plan on testing the Winchester Personal Defense 9mm JHP's in both 115gr and 147gr as well as the Winchester Personal Defense .45 230gr JHP's in the near future
Old January 7, 2009, 07:29 PM   #22
Bond007

In retrieving some in .45acp I've shot I noticed some pretty fair jacket separation after impact. That said, it expanded well (not uniform, but well) and functions through my pistols flawlessly.

Winchester doesn't hype it as an uber-round, but it is likely more than sufficient if you place your shots well.
Old January 7, 2009, 08:28 PM   #23
onthejon55

do wat you would do with any other ammo. practice a little ans if it works fine then it should be good enough
Old January 7, 2009, 08:41 PM   #24
horatioo

Quote:
Reminds me of along time ago a doctor friend of mine wanted a Browning .22 rifle. I told him they had them at Wal-Mart. He secrewed up his face and said, "but are they any good?"
Wal-mart sells a Ruger 10/22, that only it sells. I read a review that it is not as accurate as Ruger's 2 other 10/22's. I know Wal-Mart is always pushing it's vendors for lower prices. Some vendors probably sacrifice quality to price.
Old January 7, 2009, 08:42 PM   #25
Shooter 973

Can I trust Walmart generic hollow points as my main self-defense ammo?

This is exactly the ammo that I carry in my 45 that is with me always...
It has been as reliable as Ball in my gun. And it killed a mule deer that had been hit by a car, just fine.
That Winchester ammo is just fine, big Hollow point and it feeds perfect for me.
Besides there are NO magic bullets.......a 45 is still a 45 even if it doesn't expand...
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?