The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 3, 2002, 01:33 PM   #1
Box27

Ghostring Rear & Fiber Optic Front for 870 ??

Hello all, my first time posting and i hope you can help me out !! I've been thinking of getting a Ghostring rear sight for my 870 Marine Magnum and was wondering if anyone out there make's a Fiber Optic front sight that would be compatable with it ?? I've checked with MMC and they told me that almost any Front sight is compatable with there rear GR's as long as it's .70 inches high !!
Any idea's, or is the GR rear, Fiber Optic front combo a bad idea?? If so, can you recommend a good front site with high Visability that go good with a GR rear ?? Last but not least, how doe's Scatter Gun's (Wilson) Ghostring sight's rate in comparison to MMC ??? Thank you for your help in advance !!

Take Care, Mario C.
Old April 4, 2002, 04:09 AM   #2
DML

The only front sight that I know of with a fiber-optic sighting element is made by LPA. If I did it right, there should be a pic attached.

Wilson Combat sights are OK. The front sight is glued on the barrel with epoxy. The rear sight has somewhat limited adjustment. MMC or LPA rear sights have more adjustment, but have a higher profile. The front sights(MMC or LPA) are usually silver brazed to the barrel which is much more expensive then gluing the sight on. You pays your money and takes your choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lpa front-1.jpg (1.7 KB, 199 views)
Old April 4, 2002, 04:10 AM   #3
DML

Another pic of a LPA front sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lpa front-4.jpg (5.8 KB, 140 views)
Old April 4, 2002, 05:39 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's not a bad idea, Mario. Dunno who would make one. Check with Firesite for a start. And maybe Lyman, I seem to recall seeing a FO front for a Model 94 a while back.

Only downside I've run across with FOs in other applications is they're not as rugged as I like.
Old June 19, 2002, 06:57 PM   #5
glazer1972

I know this was a while ago.

WILLIAMS Shorty Front Ramp 3/8" (.375) #44556 and Firesight Bead #56437 would come out to .691" above the top of the bbl. If my calculations are correct.

I too am considering this on my new marine mag.
Old June 19, 2002, 08:27 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Sounds like Glazer found a workable combo.

Dave.....long as one is goin to fiddle with an ugly gun, why not make an eared yoke to slip over and glue/solder to muzzle. Protective "ears" like on military rifles.

Would protect the tall front sight and maby even lessen the chance of gutting the uphoulstry in vehicle.

Sam
Old June 20, 2002, 04:27 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good idea. Back when I was a CO, replacing the bead was the most common repair needed by far for our 870s.

The front sight on my HD 870 is a Lyman, the base is set up for a hood. This is fairly sturdy and affords some protection.
Old June 20, 2002, 02:57 PM   #8
glazer1972

My idea was to get away from the ears because they might tend to slow down the acquisition of the sight picture. The ears are important is what I seem to gather from this. The LPA banded front w/ ears can be had in fiberoptic with . I honestly don't know if I need sights on my marine magnum or not. I thought they looked cool. I have done a search and it seems to be a widely debated topic. What about the differences in the point of impact difference between slugs and buckshot? If I sight in with one will that make it useless w/ the other? If forced to choose only one of them I would have to choose the 00 buck. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
glazer1972
Old June 20, 2002, 09:07 PM   #9
Sam C

My 870 came with OEM ghost ring sights (Iron Sight by Gun Works). They seem real nice. Good adjustment and decent sight picture. Sam
Old June 21, 2002, 04:53 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

At the distance 00 is effective,Glazer, most shotguns will put slugs and 00 close enough.

My HD 870 is zeroed with 00. My Deer 870 does backup for HD and is zeroed for slugs. Inside 25 yards, it makes little difference.
Old June 21, 2002, 07:58 AM   #11
glazer1972

That's about what I wanted to hear. Now to decide whether I need them and which ones. I guess I should get some slugs and see how well I can do with them and just the bead before I decide if the end justifies the means.
Old June 21, 2002, 09:42 AM   #12
ajacobs

The .70 is from the center of the bore correct? The site combo listed seams like it would be to high. Please correct me if I am mistaken it has been a while since I have self installed ghost rings on one of my 870's all of the ones in the last few years went to hans vang.
Old June 21, 2002, 06:48 PM   #13
DML

I am at work and just measured the hight of a typical MMC and Scattergun Tech. front sight. The MMC measures .75" from the top of the barrel to the top of the blade. The Scattergun sight measures .61". Both will usually work with MMC or LPA rear sights.
Old June 24, 2002, 03:24 PM   #14
Onslaught

While looking at the LPA site...

Well, read for yourself:

http://www.lpasights.com/catalog-shotgun.html
Old June 24, 2002, 03:45 PM   #15
DML

The clamp on front sight is probably the nicest one on the market, but it isn't perfect. (What is?) The screw that the Italians supply is too soft and the cap will break off when you try to tighten it. It shouldn't be hard to find a hardened screw to replace it.
Old June 25, 2002, 05:41 PM   #16
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Quick skim of this post, & if covered, please forgive ...

I'd say a shotgun is THE firearm that should be employed by an instinctive point = you look at the target, shoulder & pull the trigger.

A proper fit is essential in this "point shooting" aspect. It should all be absolutely "natural" - & no sights needed. Really = see the target, point 'n shoot = the whole idea behing a good shotgun set-up.

If you want to get more precise ( re: a defined turkey load, slug-use, etc. then we're talkin' a whole different story), but that seems a bit from the original posit.

BTW, Box27! welcome to The Best informational source of firearms info on The 'Net anywhere. I'm not kiddin'.

My whole shotgun over-a-rifle concept is a fairly (old-tech short-range idea/close-in defensive aspect to "just") - I see the threat, I instinctively point the shotgun at the threat & dump the trigger.

Yup, you can be very precise with some slugs & maybe so with some buck, but still, you'e looking at somewhat of an "area weapon," unless you've patterned it with slugs- & then, you've got a short-range rifle. .... slugs are different, as are most buck, at anything called "extended range."

I don't believe that you need to drop extra $s on extra sights untill you've patterned your shotgun/choke combo & know where it shoots. Everything's moot beyond that till known.

I'd personally spend the time to know where your shooter shoots relative to your stance, modify if necessary & then go from there .....

You want your shotgun to eye-ball the thing, mount & "scope it," pull the trigger & hit it ... a/the most natural thing in the world.

Everything else ain't a shotgun - then, you're lookin' a "rifle stuff."

Depending, if you want (say, #00 buck) to pattern at 25 yards, you may well be very disapointed - it usually doesn't for crap. Only way to tell, from your shotgun, is to do it .... still, you'll likey be disaqppointed. & I'd suggest another post re what it is you really want to get done ....