The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 13, 2012, 12:29 PM   #1
rebs

Hand gun cleaning kit ?

I need cleaning stuff to clean hand guns from 22 to 45 cal. Am I better off looking for a kit or buying individual equipment ?
What works best to remove lead fowling from a 22 ?
Old May 13, 2012, 04:50 PM   #2
checkmyswag

I love the M-Pro products.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Tag1980

+1. You can buy the M-Pro 7 gun cleaning kit that includes everything you need. Their gun oil is awsome. Check Amazon or Brownell's.
Old May 15, 2012, 05:41 PM   #4
k4swb

Go to Wall-Mart and look in the fishing section for some kind of small tackle box and build your own with the stuff you actually need. There are all sorts of small tray type boxes that you can choose from. I use a box that fits into a pocket of my range bag that has everything I need to clean my pistols with except the solvent. I keep this in a separate place in a zip lock bag just in case of a leak.

When buying cleaning kits, like most kits, you get a lot of unneeded stuff and you usually need to add stuff not in the kit. Most kits are almost what you need but not quite.

I don't buy them, I build my own.
Old May 15, 2012, 05:49 PM   #5
rebs

I think you are right, I will get a box and buy the stuff I need
Old May 15, 2012, 06:52 PM   #6
sserdlihc

Quote:
Go to Wall-Mart and look in the fishing section for some kind of small tackle box and build your own with the stuff you actually need. There are all sorts of small tray type boxes that you can choose from. I use a box that fits into a pocket of my range bag that has everything I need to clean my pistols with except the solvent. I keep this in a separate place in a zip lock bag just in case of a leak.

When buying cleaning kits, like most kits, you get a lot of unneeded stuff and you usually need to add stuff not in the kit. Most kits are almost what you need but not quite.

I don't buy them, I build my own.
Same thing I did years ago. I had looked at OTIS but relized that what I had worked just as good.