The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 21, 2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Miata Mike

Excel spreadsheet for round count?

Like the title says, anyone have a nice spreadsheet they would like to share for keeping track of rounds shot and any other range info for each gun a person owns and fires?

I have seen many threads talking about such things, but no actual downloads. I am sure I could put something together, but I am no good at formulas.
Old September 21, 2010, 08:04 AM   #2
Sefner

Hmmm I only have one that keeps track of my ammo inventory. I use Google Docs because I can access it from my phone, so if I'm out and stumble upon a good deal on ammo I can check to see if I need any.

I suppose rounds shot would be something I could add to mine, I'd have to see how it would fit into the current format.
Old September 21, 2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have one. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll get you a bare copy.
Old September 21, 2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Miata Mike

PM sent. Thank you!
Old September 21, 2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Miata Mike

I managed to put something usable together this afternoon complete with a total round counter at the bottom of the column. Every new tab is a different gun like some have suggested in other threads.
Old September 21, 2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Sefner

This interests me, do you mind if I shamelessly use it as well?
Old September 21, 2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Miata Mike

Here is a sample of my spreadsheet. I made it smaller to be able to print on one sheet of paper if need be. The first tab has some example data that can be deleted. The tabs can also be easily renamed by right clicking on each tab and renaming each gun.
My simple spread sheet.

Here is a spreadsheet by Aguila Blanca that is a little more complex:
Aguila Blanca's spread sheet.

Last edited by Miata Mike; September 22, 2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Adding download links.
Old September 21, 2010, 09:21 PM   #8
Sefner

Awesome! Thanks! This is perfect, enough to get me started, but bare enough I can add my own information. Thanks again!
Old September 23, 2010, 08:45 AM   #9
UniversalFrost

when you are at the range a little pocket notepad is the perfect thing. and then later transcribe the info over to the excel worksheet.

I have a bound book for each of my guns that I keep all my information in.This also includes the loads I am working on for each particular rifle, pistol or shotgun

On rainy days (or when the wife is out of the house) i transcribe it over to an access data base that I created several years ago, i would share it but mine is so tailored to my specifics that most folks might not be able to use it.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old September 23, 2010, 11:33 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalFrost
when you are at the range a little pocket notepad is the perfect thing. and then later transcribe the info over to the excel worksheet.
Roger that. I keep a little 4x6 spiral-bound notebook in my range bag and I scribble down the round count, magazine(s) used, and any malfunctions by date and gun, for later transcription.

When I sent the spreadsheet to Mike, I commented that it's more complex than his because with semi-autos, magazines are often the source of problems, so tracking rounds and malfunctions by magazine can help weed out a bad mag -- or give you an alert when it's time to buy new magazine springs.
Old September 23, 2010, 12:04 PM   #11
ClayInTx

Spreadsheets are a quick data base for short listings although a real DBMS is much more powerful but it has to be programmed or have macros written and isn’t worth it for most needs.

Use the HELP function of Excel, or QuatroPro if you have that, and these will give you examples of how to do what you want.

Sometimes the functions become a bit elaborate and the cells take up more room on the leadsheet than I want these to do; this is because many times the complete formula gets quite long and I want to be able to do it a bit at a time in a series of cells. In these cases I put all the math onto Sheet 2, or others, and then have the leadsheet read the result into one cell. It might seem to be complicated but a couple of trial examples will show you that it’s easy, a bit tedious but easy.

The LookUp function is great for referencing tables of data. I put these tables onto a 2nd or 3rd sheet and have the cell on the leadsheet read from the table.

Also, just about every bit of software is compatible in some way with others, so you can start off with your data in one and then put it into another later on if you find you need another method.

An example: I’m looking at census records on the net. I’ve learned I can find names quicker if I just dump page after page of these into Excel but Excel garbles the columns. So I dump these into MS Word which maintains the columns and then use the column copy feature of MS Word to put the data into the correct column of Excel.

Let your computer do the dog work.