The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 09:50 PM   #26
Chuckusaret

Quote:
Theres a reason why the Federal agents use Glocks.
Yes, it is called an agencies budget. The Federal Agents use Glocks because Glock was the low bidder on the agencies RFP.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:53 PM   #27
viper7342

While I've never owned a Glock 19, I have owned both a 22 and 23 and Currently own a Smith M&P 40FS, While I liked the Glock's and they were reliable as the day is long, I can shoot the M&P more accurately and in the few times I have been able to shoot it, it has been more accurate in my hands and so far just as reliable.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Old October 12, 2012, 12:31 AM   #28
Arkie45

I have an M&P 40c, with both 9mm and 357 Sig barrels, a 9mm Shield, and 45 full size. I have yet to have ANY issue with any of them after literally thousands of rounds. Perfect point-shooters, and even my compact and Shield are amazingly accurate.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:32 AM   #29
vba

To the OP. If your Glock 26 and 19 are reliable shooters I would not trade either of them for the M&P 9. I own the 26, 19 (Gen 3's ) and a Gen 4 G17 they are extremely reliable firearms.

I also own a M&P9C and it has been a great pistol as well, but I like my Glocks better. I am one of the few that likes the feel of the Glock grip better than the M&P's. My M&P9C always feels like it will slip out of my hand. Whereas the Glocks lock into my hand much better. It must be that Glock hump or something.

I think you will end up regretting the trade.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:14 AM   #30
chewie146

The 2 experiences I have with them, yes. They're a great line of firearms. Again...they're built by humans. Humans mess up. If you get a lemon, send it back. Smith is pretty good, IMHO. I'd rather have an M&P C than a Glock 19, but I'd rather have a Glock 19 than a full-size M&P. The M&P is about a size ahead of glock. My buddy has a shield that is 100% with all ammo as well. It's a snappy little rascal, but it works well.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:18 AM   #31
Mystro

It's funny how rampid the Glocks reputation of being the ultimate in reliability runs on the internet spread religiously by owners that just started carrying a side arm or have only owned a few guns. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless how inexperienced it is. I am not referring to this thread in particular but this theme as a observation on many forums.

Last edited by Mystro; October 12, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:32 AM   #32
TacticalDefense1911

Given the choice between an M&P and a late Gen 3 or Gen 4 Glock I think that the M&P is a safer choice. Glock has yet to correct its current problems and until they do I wouldn't want one. If you want a Gen 2 Glock they are gtg. The early M&P extractor issues are a thing of the past and they recently updated their barrel design to correct the accuracy issues they had with the 9mm M&P's. The M&P is a safer choice currently IMO.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:52 AM   #33
carguychris

To more directly address the question... I own an M&P9 FS and an M&P9c, and here's my experience.

The compact had 2 FTEs when it was brand new, but my DSW was firing it at the time, so it's possible that it was limp-wristing as she is not very experienced. It has never malfunctioned when I've fired it.

The FS had to be returned to S&W because some of my mags started refusing to drop free; S&W replaced the mag catch and the pistol has worked flawlessly since. I had probably done several hundred dry-fire tap-rack-bang drills before it had problems, so the mag catch had probably been through more torture than most of them. OTOH after several thousand rounds, the pistol has never had a firing or cycling-related malfunction that could be attributed to the gun itself; the only times it has failed to go BANG were due to 2 handloads with improperly seated primers.

IMHO the main aspects where the Glock clearly beats the M&P are mag availability and prices, aftermarket support (but the M&P is rapidly catching up), and trigger reset. IMHO the M&P wins on grip feel, overall trigger feel (no "dingus"), factory options (you can have thumb safeties if that's the way you roll), factory sights, ease of disassembly, and let's face it, styling- after all, the Glock is the Volvo 240 of handguns in this regard.

I consider reliability to be a wash, other than the early-production M&P and early G4 Glock teething problems. S&W customer service is excellent; I have not dealt with Glock CS, so I can't honestly declare a clear winner here.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:00 AM   #34
rodfac

I've no experience the M&P, but in a general sense, I've been well served by S&W's over the years and more than happy with their superb customer service. That said, my wife's Gen 4, G19 has over 1200 rounds though it now, with 100% reliability...no failures of any kind...it's the only Glock we own of over 30 handguns currently in the safe...I've no complaints as to its accuracy nor its reliability. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; October 15, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:33 AM   #35
AUG

See my post in this forum on my poor experience on a new production GEN3 g19. New gen3's have problems too.

I would avoid all glocks made after 2008 or so.

I only bought glocks because they were $390 and reliable. Without reliability I have no reason to own one. Luckily there are many good 9mm's on the market without problems.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:36 AM   #36
n2cycles

why not a G23 with conversion barrel in 9mm

If I could have only one handgun it would be a gen4 G23. The only issue with the G4 19 was the recoil spring. They wanted some extra tension on the 40 and thought they could get away with it on the 9mm. The walmart white box ammo is just loaded too soft and would not kick the slide back. Glock tries to make multiple calibers run the same spring. That keeps cost and inventory down. Get the G23 and you can rebarrel it to 9mm or 357 sig as well as a 22lr kit. Keep a couple of your 9mm mags and use them in the G23. I have a gen2 g19 and it only jammed once in 18 years of usage and that was a hand load, my fault. My current favorite carry gun is a gen4 g27. I have only put 500 factory loads through it so far, but has been flawless. I really like the new grip design and size with no inserts added. And while I have 3 Glocks currently and do like them a lot. I also have several other handguns and most are great guns too. It's just so easy to work on Glocks, parts are everywhere and most are interchangeable between models and calibers. Holsters and accessories are easy to find too. Glock does have a hard time accepting blame for the problems but they will fix them if they occur. S&W has made some great guns over the years but they have had more than their share of problems and they tend to change models so often that it is hard to keep up with them. The new body guard 380s end up back on the shelf used more than any gun I have seen in recent years. Stick with known good models if you get a Smith.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:35 PM   #37
Pisa

I can only speak to the full size M&P .40 and I like it a lot better than my buddies G22. Fit, finish and ergos on the M&P are awesome.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:59 PM   #38
osbornk

Quote:
Theres a reason why the Federal agents use Glocks.

yah it's called marketing. Glock knows they have a great product, but they also an even better marketing team. They are excellent at getting their guns into the hands of LE etc, and have been good at doing so for decades now via great pricing, reputation, and some good old fashioned schmoozing.
I think it's more like it was years ago when we were saddled with very ordinary IBM computers at work. It was frequently said "Nobody ever got fired recommending IBM".
Old October 15, 2012, 09:52 PM   #39
insomni

IMHO, the design feature that the M&P has over the Glock and the XD is that you don't have to squeeze the trigger to take it down.

That whole trigger squeeze thing has always made me uneasy. I thankfully am very aware of my gunhandling, and clearing procedures, almost to the point of obsession, but I still don't trust a gun that makes it so easy to fail catastrophically if you're having a bad day.

As fot the indestructable reputation, I HAVE seen someone jack their glock up so incredibly that the slide wouldn.t even rack.... To this day I still cant figure that one out. But like my buddy standing next to me said to the guy: "congratulations man, you broke an unbreakable gun."
Old October 15, 2012, 10:32 PM   #40
lechiffre

Quote:
Is the M&P 9mm as reliable as the G19?
Probably, lots of guns are.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old October 15, 2012, 10:36 PM   #41
Justice06RR

Quote:
I own and shoot both M&Ps and Glocks. They're both ultra-reliable guns. Really can't go wrong with either one.
+1

Both are excellent and reliable pistols. Choose one based on your liking.

I've shot and carried M&P9, M&P40/c. I do 3-gun with Glocks. Both are on par with each other.

I slightly prefer the M&P's because of the nicer slide finish and overall better ergo's.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:24 AM   #42
TacticalDefense1911

Thought I'd share this. Its Randy Lee's (from Apex Tactical) explaination of what is wrong with the Glock pistols. http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-92447.html
Old November 16, 2012, 10:03 AM   #43
Arkie45

My M&P 40c was my first pistol to NEVER have a FTF/FTE, etc. after over 3,000 rounds it has been absolutely flawless, as is my 45FS. Even with my 9mm conversion barrel, the 40c has been trouble-free.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:48 AM   #44
Drhc116

I have no exp. with the M&P 9 but do have one in .40. I also have a G19 (gen 3) and have to say that they both have their problems. The smith had mag problems while shooting it dropped mags without hitting the release and the G19 throws brass back in my face so I would guess extractor/ejector problem. Long story short, buy the one that feels the best to you and understand that any/all firearms have potential issues.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:17 AM   #45
Fishbed77

Quote:
What elapsed can you recommend the fills the niche of the g19.
Walther P99AS or PPQ.

In my opinion/experience, the Walthers are better pistols than either the Glock or M&P.
Old November 16, 2012, 12:50 PM   #46
ScotchMan

Also consider the HK P2000.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 16, 2012, 01:36 PM   #47
Noreaster

The M&P is being issued to more and more Police Depts every day. Any problems have probably come up and have been corrected. The M&P is making a big play into the shooting sports which says allot about how reliable they are. I honestly don't know if they are as reliable as a Glock, but I believe they are rugged reliable pistols.
Old November 17, 2012, 04:17 AM   #48
Officer's Match

Quote:
If I could have only one handgun it would be a gen4 G23. The only issue with the G4 19 was the recoil spring. They wanted some extra tension on the 40 and thought they could get away with it on the 9mm. The walmart white box ammo is just loaded too soft and would not kick the slide back...
Umm, no. Lot's goin' on (in a bad way) on Gen4 9's. Took a legend of reliability and reduced it to a problem child. Some will continue to deny, but do a search on "Glock erratic ejection" when you have a bunch of time to spend reading.
Old November 17, 2012, 08:07 AM   #49
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
The new Gen4 Glock 19 is a nightmare of unreliability.
Ugh...Could you be more vague?

My 19 has never hiccuped and yes it's a Gen4. Just over 1,000 rounds through it. Not a single problem from the factory.

And to those saying "it's because they're the lowest bidder" as to why LE agencies such as the one I was in issues them. That's simply false. Not very nice to think our government only cares about money and not the safety of their local law enforcement. Where I have reasons that they don't in some aspects, our sidearms aren't one of them. They're chosen for reliability reasons, mass production reasons, yes the blue label discount helps. (like my Glock 17) However it's not all about money. It's so much easier to find a Glock armorer than a 1911 smith that knows what he's doing.

With that said...My SIG Sauer P226 has been my most used and tried and true gun that I own.

I'm just a lot more accurate with the Glock 17/19 under stress, with the same consistent trigger pull, and low bore axis than I am with the SIG or any of my other guns. Not including the 1911...However...8/9 rds before the next reload? Eh... I would have loved to learn under stress of course. The operation of a 1911...I'm trained under SIG and Glock. Swiping off that safety feels unnatural to do under stress..Again! Cause I wasn't trained under the 1911. But I'll stick to the higher capacity mags anyways.

Get the Glock...Tried and true, longer running time. It's not ALL business for the lowest and cheapest gun. That's not entirely true. Price does matter. If it was so much about price we'd all have Taurus Millenniums.
Old November 17, 2012, 08:14 AM   #50
TXAZ

Ford vs. Chevy preference

It is a very competitive market. Some put more weight on styling, capacity, weight itself, price, service availability, and other parametrics.
I've owned both. For me it was ultimately the grip fit and feel.

Your mileage WILL vary.

Good luck.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes