The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2012, 12:47 AM   #26
Lost Sheep

Budget Beginning Bench you will never outgrow, for the novice handloader.

I was going to make a post describing how I populated what I consider to be an excellent loading bench on a budget, but decided to start its own thread.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...94#post4957594

entitled "Budget Beginning Bench you will never outgrow, for the novice handloader."

It describes you one can get started for $150 without compromising on the quality of the equipment (though you do compromise on the speed and convenience). When you upgrade, you don't have to lose anything as you upgrade. (No trade-ins, just adding capabilities)

Please give it a read.

Thanks,

Lost Sheep
Old February 13, 2012, 08:52 AM   #27
Sparks1957

Thank you, sir. As someone who is thinking of pulling the trigger on a reloading set-up, I really appreciate the advice and expertise you bring to the subject. Some folks seem to be interested in keeping it all rather mysterious.
Old February 13, 2012, 09:20 AM   #28
Pigslayer

Press comparison a fruitless venture.

I have owned & still own RCBS, Redding, Lee & Lyman equipment. Been using a Lyman crusher for many years. Plenty strong and easy to use. Have loaded some very large belted mags without a hiccup. Have an older Lee Challenger for sizing cast bullets & loading 9MM, .44mag & .45LC. All the brands do their job well. It's a tossup. Feel your way around & buy what you like & don't forget to have fun!
Old February 13, 2012, 07:35 PM   #29
wncchester

Any press that looks basically the same as another press will work the same and last the same. That means the RCBS RockChucker, Redding Boss, Hornady LnL, Lyman's Crusher and Lee's Classic Cast are basically equal presses with a few detail differences in user features.

I have a perfect condition RC I bought in '87. If Lee's Classic Cast had been available at that time my press would be red; if I have to replace my RC next month it will be red; Lee's Classic Cast IS the better press due to the much better user features. And they are cutting heavily into RCBS' market share.

That said, Lee's Classic Turret is the same basic body with an auto-indexing turret top, making it a great tool for those wanting a bit more speed in their reloading. The turret heads are actually inexpensive enough to make it rational to have one dedicated to each set of dies we use.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:59 AM   #30
F. Guffey

“keeping it all rather mysterious” not me, normally I do not get involved in recommending a brand, more times than not my answer provokes the next answer.

I was in Montana going up a hill that was covered with ice, way up in front of me was a SUV pulling a camping trailer, he spun out, with no one coming down the hill I moved over to pass him, it was not to my horror that he stepped out of his vehicle and in front of me, but, I stopped, He went to tell me about his problems, no traction, no chains, a good case could have been make for the the benefit of other drivers on the hill that night, all were better off if he was stuck. And I ask him “What do you want me to do about your problem?” he thought about it then said “GET STUCK TO” and I think of that night on ROGERS PASS EVERY TIME I hear someone pushing Lee tools. I have some Lee equipment, I do not make excuses for owning the tools, most, if not all came as packaged deals, “Purchase this and I will give you all this lee stuff”.

Then he ask me how he could help me, I explained to him I would turn around, go to the bottom and start over, I cautioned him to be very careful about stepping in front of vehicles that are going up hill on ice and snow, some will not stop, others can not stop.

Reloading equipment and those that are looking to get into reloading, the fastest way to end a thread is offer to help, send mail, include what you plan to load, I will try to fill your list within your budget, if you are sold on Lee, I can help you with that also.

F. Guffey