The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 24, 2013, 07:01 PM   #76
dayman

Two Questions:
First, does anyone know what "call tag has been sent" means? That's what shows up when I put my SN in.
Second, what are their customer service hours? Every time I've called (before or after work) I've been put through to a message that says the voice mailbox is full (or not available, or something). It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to talk to a live person and verify that they got my gun, and get some sort of idea about when it'll be back.

I'm trying to be cool about this whole thing, and I don't really blame SA, but I don't have anything else that's nearly as nice to carry.
Old September 25, 2013, 05:41 PM   #77
TahoeDust

SA is now saying 8-12 weeks and it sounds like they have not even completely settled on a repair procedure let alone began working on all the guns that have already been sent to them. Pretty crappy.

Quote:
Dear Springfield Customer,

We greatly appreciate the tremendous response to the 3.3 XD-S™ Recall Upgrade. We have received a
very large number of pistols in a very short time, and upgrades will be completed on a “first come / first served” basis.

The upgrade repair is in the final stage of testing, and should be determined soon. The XD-S™ pistols
already received at Springfield will be upgraded and returned as soon as possible, beginning within the
next few weeks. Given the volume of XD-S™ pistols now on hand, we expect it will take eight to ten
weeks to upgrade and return the current inventory to their owners. Pistols currently being returned to
Springfield for the upgrade, please allow approximately ten to twelve weeks turnaround time.

We are doing our best to increase the speed of the upgrade while maintaining a high level of safety and quality. As the upgrade process progresses, we are hopeful that the return time will become shorter.

We know it is inconvenient for you to be without your pistol, and we sincerely apologize. We assure you that we are working as fast as we can, and we know you will be very pleased with your upgraded 3.3
XD-S™. Thank you for your patience and loyalty. And remember; do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.

Once your pistol has been upgraded and is shipping back to you, an e-mail confirmation and tracking information will be sent to you at the e-mail address you provided.

If you still have further questions please call 800-680-6866 or send your request again to [email protected] we appreciate your patience and support!

Sincerely,

Team Springfield
Old September 25, 2013, 06:22 PM   #78
t4terrific

XDs Recall

I will never buy a Springfield. They have severely tarnished their reputation too badly now. It's bad enough that they build so much of their product outside of the US for cheap labor, now their qc and customer service have suffered a death blow.
Old September 25, 2013, 06:26 PM   #79
t4terrific

XDs Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by whip1 View Post
How does any company prepare for a recall of this size? Do you expect them to have an area in the factory set aside "just in case"? Do they have people set up and trained for repairs that might never happen? There's a ton of work that goes into something like this. it sucks that a gun is gone that long, but there is no realistic solution.
The perfect solution is to NOT make huge batches of dangerously defective pistols in Croatia (or the US when you talk about other manufacturers).
Old September 25, 2013, 09:39 PM   #80
srommes

Sent mine in a few weeks ago. Looks like I'll get it back around Xmas. I've grown fond of my Sig938 in it's absense so the XDS is going on consignment once I get it back.
Old September 26, 2013, 01:51 AM   #81
IdahoG36

Quote:
I will never buy a Springfield. They have severely tarnished their reputation too badly now. It's bad enough that they build so much of their product outside of the US for cheap labor, now their qc and customer service have suffered a death blow.
Well, stuff happens, even to the best of companies. This is the first recall that the XD line has ever had, so I wouldn't say that their QC is bad or that their pistols are junk. I agree that it is an inconvenience, but I'll just carry something else until my XDs gets shipped back. Not a big deal.
I actually just went and bought another XD today. I think that they are great guns, and this recall hasn't changed my opinion of them.
Old September 26, 2013, 05:44 AM   #82
Nightwind15

My Springfield XD-S

I sent my XD-S on due to the recall. It has been gone about a month now. Have any of you had yours returned and if so how long was it gone?
Thank you
Old September 26, 2013, 05:55 AM   #83
skoro

I seriously doubt that any have been sent back to owners yet. From what I've read, SA is now saying 8-10 weeks on the ones returned immediately (4 weeks ago) and 10-12 on the more recent returns. Looks like they have a big project on their hands.

Maybe we'll get them back before xmas. Maybe not. I kinda liked mine for the few weeks that I had it. This little snafu has kinda dampened my enthusiasm, though.
Old September 26, 2013, 07:35 AM   #84
SIMP

This is my first recall experience and I'm becoming impatient. Mine has been at SA since 8/30 and it still only shows "Your Recall Status: Your Gun has been Received". I may sell it once it returns and buy another M&P. Just frustrating to me.
Old September 26, 2013, 10:37 AM   #85
balyon85

Re: XDs Recall

How is it they are still in testing the "fix" almost four weeks into sending out labels?
Old September 26, 2013, 12:49 PM   #86
TunnelRat

Quote:
How is it they are still in testing the "fix" almost four weeks into sending out labels?
Not that uncommon actually. In all the time it's taking everyone to send their pistols in they're working on the fix while the paperwork is being done. Essentially they're multi-tasking. While I agree that's a bit obnoxious, your alternative would be sitting and waiting with a gun in your possession that has safety issues. I'm not sure that's better.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 26, 2013, 01:17 PM   #87
balyon85

Re: XDs Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Not that uncommon actually. In all the time it's taking everyone to send their pistols in they're working on the fix while the paperwork is being done. Essentially they're multi-tasking. While I agree that's a bit obnoxious, your alternative would be sitting and waiting with a gun in your possession that has safety issues. I'm not sure that's better.
Agreed, SA is in a loosing situation. Just fustrating sending in under the idea, from them, its going to be around 30 days then it triples.

Hope I get it back before my atf paperwork, send both off about the same time.
Old September 26, 2013, 02:37 PM   #88
SIMP

I called SA just for kicks and giggles to see what they told me. I was told the typical, "Yours was one of the first ones received so your won't be that much longer". I specifically asked if they were repairing them now or working on the fix and I was told that they are currently fixing the guns. I guess what information you receive all depends on who you talk to.

She was very polite and I appreciated her professionalism.
Old September 26, 2013, 09:47 PM   #89
Axelwik

They told me it would be 8-10 weeks from when they received it. No big deal, I have plenty of other carry guns. Looking forward to shooting it when it gets back.
Old September 27, 2013, 07:03 PM   #90
SIMP

Have y'all seen this latest info?

http://www.springfieldrecall.com

XD-S™ Recall FAQ
Updated Sept. 27, 2013
This information applies only to XD-S™ pistols in the serial number ranges below
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

This Springfield XD-S™ Recall FAQ will be updated every Friday through the recall process. Please check back for updates.

We understand that our voluntary safety recall has made it inconvenient for you to be without your pistol, and we sincerely apologize for that. We also understand your frustration with our lack of follow-up communication to this point and we are committing to you now that we will provide regular updates going forward.

We originally estimated a 30-day turn-around time, but it has unfortunately taken longer to develop and identify an upgrade solution. Please know that we are continuing to test potential upgrade solutions at this time and we have been doing so since we became aware of this issue. This testing is nearing completion and we will post any new updates as soon as we have identified a final upgrade solution. We will post our next update no later than Friday, October 4, and we will communicate immediately if a final solution is identified prior to that date. We wish that we could provide you with a specific return date at this time, but we are unfortunately unable to do so. Upgrades will be completed on a "first come / first served" basis.

Why it's taking so long:
We pledge to you that we are working as fast as we can, and have greatly increased our staff and number of shifts to ensure that we are leveraging every hour in the day.

We understand that our decision to announce a voluntary safety recall without a final solution in place has caused confusion and frustration. We sincerely apologize for that inconvenience. However, your safety is, and always has been, our paramount concern. And that is why we decided to issue the voluntary safety recall before we had a guaranteed upgrade solution in place.

Our decision not to wait was based on putting you, our customer, first. Some companies build in several weeks of lead time before announcing their recalls. But, we didn't feel that was the most responsible approach in this case since our priority is your safety.

Please know that we are committed to resolving this matter as quickly as possible and we are committed to ensuring that you will be very pleased with your upgraded 3.3 XD-S™. As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:38 PM   #91
CommandoX

You know what Boys "and Girls?"

As much as I am unhappy with the wait and the seeming lack of preparation on the part of SA, I have to say that they are doing what they can from what I hear and see on the web and through my connections.

NO one is perfect and we cannot expect our firearm manufacturers to be either. (God knows they have regulations up the wing wang.) When you make a gun as popular as the XDS series and then sell them in the quantities that have happened, a problem is going to create return volume issues. I would really, really like mine back because of it is of value to me but that value will be multiplied in my view, by it's safety/reliability upon return.

I'm not gonna say I'm not mad but..... Stuff happens and we all hope our manufacturers not only fess up but try to make it right when it comes to our protection and safety. In my opinion, they are fessing up AND trying to make it right and that goes a long way with me after buying overpriced and WAY over hyped firearms in my lifetime that resulted in dissapointment.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; September 28, 2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Political reference
Old September 27, 2013, 08:46 PM   #92
whip1

Quote:
The perfect solution is to NOT make huge batches of dangerously defective pistols in Croatia (or the US when you talk about other manufacturers).
If we lived in a perfect world, that would be a perfect solution.

Quote:
I will never buy a Springfield.
Good. Fewer buyers means better prices for me.
Old September 27, 2013, 09:17 PM   #93
SIMP

Yeah, at least they're being honest and have committed to keeping us updated. I sure miss my XDs.
Old September 28, 2013, 10:51 AM   #94
Nakanokalronin

Next update says to be Oct 4th at the latest. We'll know more then unless someone gets a FedEx tracking number sooner. I'm sure people can wait 6 days for updated info.
Old September 28, 2013, 12:37 PM   #95
TRex99

Mine was received there on 9/11. Called a couple of weeks ago and was quoted 30 days from their receipt, so hopefully I'll have mine back pretty soon.
Old September 29, 2013, 07:48 AM   #96
steveNChunter

I just bought a brand new XDS .45 yesterday. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet but I'm thinking if I can't make it double fire or fire when the slide is released after trying several times, I'm just going to hang on to it until people start getting theirs back and see how well it's fixed, how it affects the trigger pull, etc. Then I'll send mine in when the fix is known, and the turnaround time is much quicker.

My serial number is only about 200 from the upper end of the serial number range. I doubt that matters but it makes me wonder if there was a certain batch of pistols within the range that were worse for this problem. I guess there's no way for us to know.
Old September 29, 2013, 05:54 PM   #97
jbrown27

I'm confused. If there is not a fix yet then why is every gun not affected and how are they still producing new ones. They must have found a solution to be able to produce the new one, so why can't they just fix the recall guns with that fix.
Tri Star T-120 Taurus TCP 738
Old September 29, 2013, 07:07 PM   #98
Axelwik

Quote:
I'm confused. If there is not a fix yet then why is every gun not affected and how are they still producing new ones. They must have found a solution to be able to produce the new one, so why can't they just fix the recall guns with that fix.
Pretty sure they know the fix, I'm sure what they're talking about is the process by which they can most efficiently do the fix.
Old September 29, 2013, 07:43 PM   #99
steveNChunter

I'm pretty sure they also stopped production of the XDs right before the recall was issued. This recall affects every XDs made so far. AFAIK there are not currently any XDs' outside of the SA factory that are fixed. My XDs .45 is only about 200 from the upper end of the range and it was bought new a few months ago, what does that tell you?

The people who commented and said they entered their SN on the recall site and it told them theirs wasn't affected, were experiencing a glitch in the site that has now been fixed. This recall is for Every XDs.

As far as what will be fixed, there will at least be a new grip safety and I'd say some other internal part related to the grip safety. Just my opinion
Old September 30, 2013, 03:52 PM   #100
SIMP

I saw a few at the local gun store this weekend and started to miss mine even more.