The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 4, 2011, 09:15 PM   #1
zombieslayer

any NAA Companion owners?

I grew up watching my dad shoot and hunt with black powder growing up but have never bought a any myself.
I've had a couple of NAA mini's and was always interested in their cap and ball mini's. Today I finally got around to ordering one. What a painless experience ordering was. No special forms or anything. $189 delivered to my door.
Any owners have any tips or advice?
Thanks
Old August 6, 2011, 04:15 AM   #2
arcticap

There's some NAA owner's that regularly frequent the black powder forum on thehighroad.org
You should join and ask there and there's also a lot of previous threads about the NAA C&B's to search through in their database.
It's been discussed there extensively and some have even experimented with loading their NAA's with Bullseye smokeless powder and then posted about it.
The high road is considered to be TFL's sister site and many members belong to both forums since they have a lot in common.

http://www.thehighroad.org/
Old August 6, 2011, 08:30 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

They are great fun. I tend to load mine up with T7, gives them a nice bark.

Old August 6, 2011, 09:16 AM   #4
orangello

I wondered how those lil buggers performed. Is it only for those little conicals or is there ball ammo too?
Old August 6, 2011, 09:50 AM   #5
zombieslayer

Im thinking #4 lead shot would work. And it would be cheap. Ive checked out the high road. Seems ok but not nearly as classy as this forum imo.
Old August 6, 2011, 01:21 PM   #6
arcticap

Gamo makes .22 caliber round balls for air guns, and .22 air gun pellets can be loaded too.
If there's any looseness with their fit then a small piece of card or a balled up wad of paper can be pressed fitted over the projectile to help hold it in place.

At Pyramyd Air the 4th tin of pellets is always free and they also carry some heavyweight .22 pellets.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Gamo_R...alls_250ct/610

Last edited by arcticap; August 6, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old August 6, 2011, 01:57 PM   #7
zombieslayer

Hmmm... Ive been wanting a .22air rifle. Msybe I'll call pyramid up and order one. And a bunch of pellets...thanks
Old August 6, 2011, 09:46 PM   #8
robhof

robhof

Don't use the pellets with T7, I had some blow off the top and leave the skirt in the chamber, flattened to the wall and requiring a jewelers screwdriver to pry them off and remove. The pellets work best with just caps or very light b/p charges. I shoot in my garage with just the caps, and use a standard pellet trap.
Old August 6, 2011, 10:32 PM   #9
zombieslayer

Good to know. Thanks. I cant wait to get it. Should be a week or so.
It will be good for scaring coons off the back porch if nothing else...
Old August 7, 2011, 05:50 AM   #10
arcticap

A homemade wad or over powder card over the powder may protect the base enough to prevent separation.
If the pellet is sandwiched above and below in the chamber, then the skirt shouldn't blow out since the wad underneath would act as a protective cushion for the skirt and to seal off gas blow by
A small ball of wadded newspaper can be compressed on top of the powder to serve that purpose, or card material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyhands94
i found out how to shoot the pellets out of the Super Companion. just put two grain in there, then a wad of newspaper on top then you put your pellet on top. heavy pellets work best, but light ones will do. if yo go too light they will keyhole. i found that RWS domed pellets work fantastic! they penetrate well, and will sail right through a half an inch of wood. i used an old fence board to hold up my target and it worked well! i also tried some vintage Benjamin High-Compression pellets in my super companion. they worked really well and i could hold a pretty small group with it.

another pellet trick i found works well, cut the skirt of some Beeman pointed tip pellets. you will have a lead cone. now make ten of those. then, load them under 4 grains o powder with a newspaper wad. the result is two projectiles that will still fly through a fence board with relative ease. you can collect the tips of the pellets, load three per chamber on top of 4 grains of powder with a wad. then drip some candle wax on there to keep em' in place. they turn on their side for a cutting effect. they leave 3 oblong holes a shot and penetrate well! i figure 15 0f these things should do some damage!

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....3&postcount=47
However be careful shooting if shooting light pellets at hard flat surfaces because they can ricochet as shown in some photos from the same thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....0&postcount=34

There's other posts that mention loading the NAA with newspaper wads, cards, pellets and/or shot:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....8&postcount=26

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...&highlight=wad

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....4&postcount=17

Last edited by arcticap; August 7, 2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old August 7, 2011, 04:42 PM   #11
zombieslayer

Arcticap you are very knowledgeable about this stuff. I saw that you have the same screen nane on thr. Maybe I'll join after all...
Old August 7, 2011, 05:15 PM   #12
Busyhands94

i have both the LR and Magnum versions and i love them! i customized mine a little, added a fixed rear sight (filed it to sight the pistol in) and now i can shoot a soda can from 50 feet away. i think that is pretty great accuracy for such a small handgun i run mine of Triple Seven, Remington #10 caps, and the standard 30 grain conicals! i like to shoot shot out of it sometimes, it's rather fun to shoot shot out of the thing! i did a youtube review of mine, you can see the sight picture this pistol has. also, the trick to getting good accuracy is to hold it with two hands, and hold it nice and tight. take your time aiming too, and when you start shooting with it, take it to someplace with some sand or a background that will show your hits. you can float a pop can on some water, or you could put it on some dusty ground, it really helps you see how to shoot it correctly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYyDM...el_video_title
Old August 7, 2011, 06:07 PM   #13
zullo74

arcticap knows ALL!
Old August 7, 2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
arcticap knows ALL!
I dunno bout all but he knows most of it.
Old August 7, 2011, 10:23 PM   #15
zombieslayer

I ordered from Midwest Hunters Outlet and if its as much fun as I think it's going to be, I'm going to order the magnum framed C&B. Thanks for the insight so far guys.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:12 PM   #16
Busyhands94

the Magnum is great! with a full dipper of Triple Seven you have a pocket sized critter-gitter! mine reaches out pretty far, you would be surprised at what a small gun like that can do.
Old August 8, 2011, 08:16 AM   #17
madcratebuilder

Don't forget to accessorize.

Old August 8, 2011, 09:35 AM   #18
Busyhands94

accesories

oh my gosh i need to get me a little bayonet and a laser sight! that would be so cool! i wonder what kind of accuracy one can get with a laser sight, i seriously think i might get one for my .22 cap n' ball Magnum if they are good.
Old August 8, 2011, 11:47 AM   #19
orangello

Does anybody own a BP version of the Earl? Their website makes it look pretty cool, IMO. http://www.northamericanarms.com/fir...1830-3-cb.html

Of course they aren't exactly cheap.
Old August 9, 2011, 10:07 AM   #20
zombieslayer

Lol at the tactical accessories. The laser does look like fun though...
Old August 9, 2011, 02:09 PM   #21
Busyhands94

BP NAA earl

i have been really liking the blackpowder earl, i think i might get one someday. it reminds me of an 1863 Remington pocket, the faux Remington loading lever, the top strap, the spur trigger, the grip, the octagon barrel. it just seems like a really cool little hog leg!
Old August 10, 2011, 11:18 AM   #22
orangello

^^^ Yup, i think it would look cool with my Remington replica.
Old August 12, 2011, 11:40 AM   #23
zombieslayer

According to fedex it should be in today. I wonder if they'll just leave it on the doorstep...
Old August 12, 2011, 12:16 PM   #24
Busyhands94

where did you order it from? i got both of mine from Midwest Hunter's Outlet and they left it right on the front step.
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico!
Old August 12, 2011, 09:35 PM   #25
zombieslayer

Got it! I ordered from Midwest Hunters Outlet as well. Luckily it was on my doorstep when I got home. I took it out and shot it. What a fun little gun to shoot.
The CCI caps I tried were a very tight fit. I'm going to try the reccomended Remingtons next time. I had some Pyrodex fffp on hand and after about 15 rounds I was hotting soda cans from 15 feet away.