The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 2, 2000, 11:03 AM   #1
PLASTIC SIG

I have an old taurus 38 special revolver inherited from my grandfather that has a hairline crack just above the hammer that leads to the drum. Is this repairable? if so how much would a repair like this cost? Its in really great shape and would be a shame if the gun is un-shootable because of the crack. Any info is appreciated. Thanks !

Tim : )

------------------
Why dont you get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a glock. :::Tommy Lee Jones:::
Old May 2, 2000, 12:02 PM   #2
Gunslinger

Tim, anything is repairable.....for a price. However in this particular case the repair cost would outweigh the value of the gun. I would suggest replacing it with another similar new Taurus and retire this one to the status of training aid and dry fire drills.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old May 2, 2000, 01:06 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tim, contact Taurus. They have a lifetime warranty on all their pistols. George
Old May 2, 2000, 01:31 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I'll bet that "hairline crack" the sideplate jointure. Check it out carefully and if in doubt take it to a gunsmith.

Jim
Old May 2, 2000, 05:04 PM   #5
PLASTIC SIG

ohh its definately cracked. And because of it the gun sometimes fails to fire. I know this can be caused by a weak hammer spring but sometimes when i pull the trigger nothing happens. pull it again and it fires. keep going around and the unfired round fires. If you flex the gun u can see the crack opening. I guess ill send it back to taurus for a replacement frame. Thanks for the help !

Tim : )

------------------
Why dont you get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a glock. :::Tommy Lee Jones:::
Old May 2, 2000, 05:40 PM   #6
Gunslinger

This is a good example of why George is paid the big bucks for being the gunsmithing moderator.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old May 2, 2000, 07:27 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

George gets big bucks?! I get zip and all I asked for was health coverage. Grrrrr!

If there is any sentimental value, retire it. Otherwise if you send it to Taurus and they decide to replace it, it's gone forever. Mind you, I would take additional precautions to disable it (like removing the mainspring).

I do not think it is cost effective to repair and would sooner replace it if you wanted a shooter and have no other guns. I have my grandfather's S&W and would not trade it for the world.
Old May 2, 2000, 07:57 PM   #8
Gopher

Go to www.taurusuas.com and send a letter to them. The gun should have a lifetime warrenty on it. They will repair or replace the gun for free. If you take it to a FFL dealer it should just cost the shipping charges. Taurus has an outstanding repair record, good work done quickly. they will even give you a $#&^%$#&*(n trigger lock when you get the gun back.
Old May 2, 2000, 08:41 PM   #9
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about health coverage. George
Old May 3, 2000, 06:33 PM   #10
johnwill

Health coverage? What's that, free ammo?