The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 6, 2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Movie laugh

I realize it's just tv and movies, but why in the old movies from the 40s & 50s do you always see people (particularly bad guys...like in the old Superman tv series) thowing their hand forward when shooting at someone. They don't just pull the trigger and fire, they thrust the gunhand forward when firing. BAM BAM BAM BAM! It doesn't look really cool it just looks like your going out of your way to scatter bullets hitting anything but your target. (except in the Superman thing you always see each and every bullet bouncing off his S while he stands their confidently with his arms either folded or on his sides ) You see them doing it in all TV series and movies back then.
Old June 6, 2005, 08:20 PM   #2
Dave Haven

In more modern shows, the complete lack of recoil is amusing as well. Or delayed recoil. Or the lack of bullet impact noise when shooting a silenced firearm.
Old June 6, 2005, 08:44 PM   #3
woodland

Or the brass hitting the ground from a revolver, or the sound of a 1911 going "click, click, click" after it is empty, or the sound of a slide being racked EVERY time the guy jumps around a corner. Or how everyone is afraid to move when the bad guy has a 1911 at their head and the hammer is down.

Did I say my wife hates watching "action" movies with me if they have lots of guns in them?
Old June 6, 2005, 09:04 PM   #4
Doug.38PR

Or, delayed impact noise of a bullet when someone is shot one or two seconds after firing....and then a gallon of blood pours out of the wound....through their cloths BTW, would you even HEAR a bullet hit someone? Even if you could, it always sounds like someone slapping you with the palm of their hand.
Old June 6, 2005, 09:38 PM   #5
chris in va

I'm pretty fond of the gunfire echo in a small room. Sounds like they're in the Grand Canyon.

Thankfully some of the more modern movies are shying away from fake sounds like thunder and gunfire.
Old June 7, 2005, 12:39 AM   #6
kkb

Quote:
why in the old movies from the 40s & 50s do you always see people (particularly bad guys...like in the old Superman tv series) thowing their hand forward when shooting at someone.
To make the bullet go faster
Old June 7, 2005, 06:44 AM   #7
CajunBass

Gun stuff in movies

I like the way everyone walks around with an unloaded gun. They ALWAYS have to rack the slide or pump a shotgun, or cycle the action on a lever gun.

Wife and I were watching an old Perry Mason movie last night. The P.I. (Paul Drakes son) goes to his desk, takes out a Colt snubbie, flips it open, holds it up, spins the cylinder, snaps it shut, and runs out of the room. Then he comes back..."Need bullets". Later he gets behind the two bad guys. One of them has a bolt action hunting rifle, the other a sawed off double barrel shotgun. He says "Drop it... NO... don't turn around." He flips open the Colt AGAIN, and puts in ONE round, and snaps it shut. Way to go BARNEY!!

Now that my friends is COURAGE. To walk up behind two heavly armed bad guys (Who had already been shooting at him) and challenge them with an unloaded pistol.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 7, 2005, 07:43 AM   #8
Russ5924

They flip the gun forward to give the bullet better velocity before it clears the barrel
Old June 7, 2005, 08:12 AM   #9
Jkwas

Point shooting

I read where one of the many point shooting techniques involves "throwing the gun forward". I think this was the OSS method, which would tie into right around the post war period when the superman series was made.
Also, did you notice in the old movies and shows, the bad guys just bend over and fall down when shot, they don't get blown back 5ft and knocked off their feet.

Last edited by Jkwas; June 7, 2005 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add info
Old June 7, 2005, 09:07 AM   #10
Doug.38PR

Quote:
Also, did you notice in the old movies and shows, the bad guys just bend over and fall down when shot, they don't get blown back 5ft and knocked off their feet.
HA I was just thinking that. More realistic that way. I used to think that was fake until I found out that bullets (the .45 particularly) don't knock people back off their feet. Yup, you see it in all the Mel Gibson, Arnold Swartzanegger, Jean Claude Van Damn, Steven Segal, Clint Eastwood and Sylvester Stallone. Whip out a .357 or .44 and the bad guy flips up in the air and lands 5 feet from where he was standing. (remember the first Dirty Harry movie when he shoots the first robber running out of the bank? HAHAHA.
Old June 7, 2005, 09:25 AM   #11
gatorman

everybody knows that if a 45 even gets close the wind will spin you around 2 or 3 times
Old June 7, 2005, 10:03 AM   #12
Topthis

I like the old Westerns, back when they never needed to load their weapons and just kept shooting...gotta get me one of those guns!!!
Old June 7, 2005, 10:21 AM   #13
kkb

Quote:
I like the old Westerns, back when they never needed to load their weapons and just kept shooting...gotta get me one of those guns!!!
OK. Here ya go...

Shamelessly pilfered from another poster here at TFL whos name I forget.
Old June 7, 2005, 11:52 AM   #14
Doug.38PR

LOL (To the above picture and comment)

Remember the movie (not really old like a B&W B-Western as far as movies go, it was made in the early 60s) Sons of Katie Elder with John Wayne and Dean Martin?
The end of the movie John Wayne finds out who killed his father and loads up his .45 Colt (no gunbelt or extra bullets) and walks across the street with gun in hand ready to do justice. After the gun exchange is over, Wayne fires about (I've seen the movie about a dozen times and each time I count the shots) 11-13 shots from his "six" shooter with all the diving behind tables, counters, out the door etc.
Old June 7, 2005, 11:55 AM   #15
racinstylez

its movies people, get over it....its not gonna be REAL. Thats why is called the movies.
Old June 7, 2005, 03:42 PM   #16
Topthis

Uh...Racinstylez...read the thread...it's all about Movie Laughs, get it?
Old June 7, 2005, 03:47 PM   #17
racinstylez

Quote:
Uh...Racinstylez...read the thread...it's all about Movie Laughs, get it?

that was a sarcastic remark....look at the tounge hangin out... hahha its all in good fun my friend.
Old June 7, 2005, 06:38 PM   #18
Doug.38PR

I remember a scene in the Untouchables (the Robert Stack series not the horrible Kevin Costner movie :barf: ) where Ness and his men are standing over the scene of a shooting with their .38 specials out and one of them cocks his fedora hat to the back of his head using the tip of his muzzel.

Also, I like it in movies when the good guy leader has his gun out and starts pointing to his men with the muzzel of his gun saying "Okay, Joe I want you to take cover over there. Harry you get back there and get ready, etc."
Old June 7, 2005, 07:34 PM   #19
Topthis

I like it when the hot women in the movies run around in their see thru lingerie, shooting their guns and....uh, wait a minute, thats not a movie, thats a dream...never mind!!!
Old June 7, 2005, 10:37 PM   #20
chris in va

I've got another one.

Phone Booth, when Kiefer kept chambering rounds for...effect.
Old June 7, 2005, 11:58 PM   #21
Relayer

I like the scenes where Superman would stand there and let the bullets bounce of his chest, but would duck when the BG threw the empty gun at him.
Old June 8, 2005, 12:38 AM   #22
3 weelin geezer

Thats because he is bullet proof not pistol whip proof. The bullets feel like little bitty mosquitos but the pistol....well it would hurt like a pistol. I wonder if shooting this way started that gang stance where you shoot the pistol cocked 90 deg to the side? Bop, bop with the milli 9! Women shooting guns in lingerie? Thats not a dream thats a guns with chicks flick. Yeah, guns with chicks in that order.
Old June 8, 2005, 09:21 AM   #23
tjhands

Yeah seriously, how DID holding the auto tilted at a 90 degree angle become the cool way to shoot in the movies? You never see a punk shooting a revolver that way. Why the auto?

Maybe they are handloaders and tilt the gun so the brass flies straight up in the air where they can catch it on its way down?
"What the hell you DOIN, Homey?"
"Savin' my brass, Brutha. Stuff is 'spensive...."
Old June 8, 2005, 09:31 AM   #24
Avizpls

"What the hell you DOIN, Homey?"
"Savin' my brass, Brutha. Stuff is 'spensive...."

HAHAHAHAH I can picture this in my head, and its hillarious
Old June 8, 2005, 09:52 AM   #25
siotwo

off topic but....

this is too funny, although not gun related

Whooo Whooo