The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 18, 2012, 09:47 AM   #26
Gunplummer

You were the first one to get snippy. It is obvious your knowledge comes from magazine articles. Get on line and cruise some pictures. I bet I had a minimum of 40 T-99 rifles with no model marking on the receiver ring. The only thing there was a MUM, or ground spot where a MUM was. I had 6.5's with triangle over stamps, the common concentric circles, weird letters, one was so over stamped that they started marking on the barrel over the chamber. Some examples I never saw in a book.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:06 AM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think that we both got a bit "snippy" and I apologize for that. But it is also not very polite to insult someone simply because he doesn't have hundreds of Japanese rifles. Unfortunately, my house could not possibly accommodate a collection of that size, but I envy you being able to have such a collection.

As to the sale of Type 30 and 38 rifles to England, I did not make that up, and there is plenty of documentation on it (sometimes, it is a good idea to read books). I also saw some of those among the tons of Enfields that Interarmco brought back from England around 1958. I wish I had had the money to buy some of the oddities in those shipments!

Jim
Old September 18, 2012, 07:45 PM   #28
Scorch

I was at one of the gun stores in a smallish town near here, and he has a rack full of Arisakas, some in original trim (one even had a bayonet), some sporterized. Prices ranged from $150 to $500. I still didn't buy one, can't quite get over the looks. Sorry. Instead, I bought a little 22 rifle I have been eyeballing for a while now. So, hey, drive on over, and bring your wallet, I'll take you shopping.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:12 PM   #29
Gunplummer

Not me. I just got rid of over 150. Even with close racks in the basement they took up a lot of room. I moved north into a smaller place and still have too many rifles. I kept a lot of Japanese conversions to hunt and I just can't seem to give up my 99' Savages. The posts that start out "If you only had one....". I would have to be living in a tent for that to happen. I don't know where they all come from, but there has to be people out there like me that can't pass up a deal. I also sold over 300 recurve and long bows before I moved too. It might be a mental disorder, but it was fun collecting the stuff.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:32 PM   #30
JT-AR-MG42

James K as usual sorta, kinda got it absolutely right.

Never seen one myself. Sorry for the poor scan from my copy of
'The Type 38 Arisaka'

Had not read this chapter and was not aware of the Lawrence factor.
Old September 19, 2012, 07:55 AM   #31
F. Guffey

Price of bolt action rebores such as 6.5 Japanese to 7mm or 8mm up to 35 caliber including refitting. head spacing and proof testing.......................$25.00

On the next to the last page there is a claim new controlled expansion bullets will be available early in 1952 after retooling.

1952 is the only date listed, before the Internet.

F. Guffey
Old September 29, 2012, 11:49 PM   #32
sc928porsche

Many years ago I picked up a T-38. Had a headspace problem because of non matching bolt. Rifle appeared to be in excelent shape with sharp rifling and no rust. Mum was ground off. Ammo was available for it from Norma but they wanted an arm an leg for it. I re reamed for 6.5x308. I got a set of dies from RCBS, picked up some LC brass and reloaded. Had the rifle completed about 6 mos or so and guess what.............Remington released the 260. BTW......barrel is now stamped 6.5x308. Did some stock work and gave to my daughter for deer rifle. She loves it.