The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old November 5, 2011, 03:24 PM   #1
C0untZer0

In Ilinois, Article II Gun World is now open

Article II Gun World Range is open now.

I shot there today, and I really like the range. It's at 250 Cortland Ave - Lombard, IL
phone - (630) 627-0310

The ventalation was great - I've complained before about a range in Aurora that left a bad taste in my mouth, literally. But Article II has great ventalation.

They also have a lot of sound proofing foam in between the shooting positions. I'm not sure it makes a difference because I switched from the foam ear plugs to the silicone ones today. But I've shot at where the only thing separating the positions was a sheet of plexiglass and the plexiglass seems to act like the head of a drum. I think there's a thread here somewhere about shooting next to the guy with the 44 magnum. Well I did that with only a sheet of plexiglass between he and I and the plexiglass didn't do anything, except maybe magnify the sound.

The controls for the target holders could be a little better at Article II. They are electronic and very modern, but one of the features that I like is a
"repeat" button to take the holder back out to the last distance input, and a "home" button to bring it back. This is a minor thing but absent those two buttons, you have to press CLR, ENT, F4, ENT each time to get it back, and you have to press 3 or 4 buttons to get the target back out.

I think the controls are programable so maybe in the future they'll make one of the Function keys a "Home" key.

Lombard charges an "entertainment" tax on the range fee. Kind of bogus and it made me think that once the courts finally slam Chicago for their banning of ranges, and Chicago is finally made to allow ranges, they'll slap some entertainment tax on range fees also.

All in all Article II is the best indoor range I've shot at so far, and I've shot at Bell's, Gat Guns, J.R. Sporting... and some others.

Article II also has class rooms, a separate range for instruction / classes or even tournaments.

It's prety nice.
Old November 5, 2011, 03:44 PM   #2
foghorn leghorn

gun world

I used to shoot at Gun World when they were on Irving Park Rd, but then again I used to shoot at Gats when they were in Hanover Park, a long time ago.

Does Article II allow long guns, AR, big bore, supersonic?

I shoot at Outdoor World in Gurnee, never anyone there during the day,
but it's boring shooting indoors, under guard, and the tube is the only place they'll let me shoot my .308.

Aurora is supposed to be good out past 600 yards.
Old November 5, 2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Bimmer

I'll probably stop in tomorrow.
Old November 5, 2011, 06:47 PM   #4
C0untZer0

There still is some construction stuff back by the range. The ventalation is good, but the village made them put in new air systems, and they created a leak in the roof for themselves. I talked to one of the roofers today, thy are going back up there on Monday to re-tar the roof.

But besides some scaffolding and tool boxes and stuff, it's still a nice range. They do allow rifles and shotguns, more than just .22 - but I'm not sure up to what caliber. There was some class there with a bunch of guys with ARs so I know they allow .223 and 5.56.
Old November 5, 2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Thiokol

How is the handgun selection?
Old November 7, 2011, 12:55 PM   #6
C0untZer0

I don't know the owner's last name, but his first name is Barry.

He has a lot of floor space there, he could have a wider selection of firearms if he chose to. Some of his display space is also taken up with stuff that doesn't really have to be behind glass - like accesories and stuff. Maybe that stuff will be displaced over time as he builds new inventory.

A lot of display space is taken up by older guns. I've seen BHPs, older Colts, and older Smiths. So for people who like that... they would think Article II has great selection. But he doesn't have a comprehensive selection of new stuff... So like at Gat Guns - they seem to have almost every Glock in almost every caliber - with the exception being the long slides.

Article II is not like that, they have a few Glocks, a few M&Ps an few XDs - but he's not carrying the whole line of each.
Old November 7, 2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Patriot86

Going to stop by this weekend if I can free myself up, been looking to try out more local ranges besides Maxons and Gat. Place is slightly closer to where I live that GAT to boot so that is a bonus.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:28 AM   #8
Jim243

Quote:
I used to shoot at Gats when they were in Hanover Park, a long time ago.
A really long time ago. I must be getting old.

Will have to stop by now that Gun World is open.

Jim
Old November 11, 2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Patriot86

I just gave them to call to see if they allow steel cased ammo (I have a box leftover) and I guess they are NOT open right now but should be open next week

Not sure if something happened or what, looks like I am going shooting at the usualy stompin ground this weekend.
Old January 13, 2012, 01:50 PM   #10
C0untZer0

I can't beleive a MSM outlet actually did a story on the gun store/range, and a reporter actually fired a gun:

http://www.wgntv.com/videogallery/67...ticle-II-Gun-W

Here is an extended YouTube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZOH7NUFc0

Last edited by C0untZer0; January 13, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old February 29, 2012, 12:09 PM   #11
jibberjabber

I visited Article II Gun World Range a little while ago, not long after it just opened at the new location. I went intending to shoot but left deciding I couldn't wait 2 hours for a lane.

I appreciate that there's no time limit once you get your lane, but with limited space and large crowds (late Saturday afternoon) I'm not sure it's the best policy. It seemed like some of the shooters had planned to take full advantage of the unlimited time. I can't see wanting to spend more than an hour at a range. Outdoors? Yes. Indoors? No thanks.

They were asking folks if they would like to be able to reserve a lane time, but at a higher range fee and with a time limit. Not sure if that's being offered yet.

Anyone have any similar or dissimilar experiences there?

Anyway, they gave me a free range pass good for 30 days in lieu of a refund. It's expired now. I've gone elsewhere in the meantime. Not saying it's a bad place or anything like that, just can't reconcile my limited range access times (usually peak hours) with their range usage policy.
Old May 5, 2012, 05:20 PM   #12
mgr52

what does it cost to shoot at this range?