The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 30, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1
essohbe

California question

Hey all,

I know CA outlawed hi-cap magazines but wondered if anyone knows if it's okay to posses them as long as you aren't going to use them?

Thanks for any info.

Old November 30, 2009, 10:53 AM   #2
fastforty

You can possess AND use them, if you had them in the state prior to the ban. You may not bring them into the state after the ban took effect.
Old November 30, 2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Scattergun Bob

essohbe

Besides the good explanation that FASTFORTY gave, additionally, high capacity magazines imported into your state "post Ban" were required to be stamped L. E. only. Unless you meet the requirements for ownership of these they are also a No-No.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old November 30, 2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Yellowfin

You can disassemble them and keep them that way, but I think you have to do it before entering the state with them. As such you can buy as many as you want out of state and either assemble them with a block in them to keep them limited to 10 round capacity or keep them disassembled for whenever you're out of state and can use them there.
Old November 30, 2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Warning with your wink smilie. If that implies skirting the law - that's a no-no post for here.

Sigh.
Old December 11, 2009, 08:57 AM   #6
lowracer

It's not illegal to possess large capacity magazines, no matter how they were acquired. It's not illegal to buy them, but it is illegal to import them, give them away, or sell them. It's not illegal to keep them if you somehow find them. If you have a large capacity magazine for a gun model that was produced only after Y2000 you may have some 'splainin to do.

If you owned them before Y2000, it's legal to repair them, including replacing each and every part with a brand new part. There's no requirement to retain the old pieces to prove you did this, and you don't have to match brands. For instance that rusted out Vietnam-era M16 mag you've had since the 60's can be repaired using Magpul PMAG parts until all you have left is a brand new Magpul PMAG. There's no date stamping or LE Only stamping requirement.

You can buy "repair kits" which are just completely disassembled magazines. This is legal. You will find these offered on calguns.net from several vendors.

If you are the proprietor of an armored car company, you may buy and sell large capacity magazines at will. Makes you wonder why there aren't more Armored Car companies springing up in the Golden State.

Finally there is a 3-year statute of limitations on manufacture and import.

This is just a summary. Read this for more: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=124709
Old December 11, 2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

If you are not going to use them, are you a collector? If you are trying to skirt the law, please do not get the TFL involved.
I enjoy reading and discussing things here in TFL and would rather see things kept on the up and up. Just my opinion.
Old December 11, 2009, 04:29 PM   #8
danweasel

Quote:
You can disassemble them and keep them that way, but I think you have to do it before entering the state with them. As such you can buy as many as you want out of state and either assemble them with a block in them to keep them limited to 10 round capacity or keep them disassembled for whenever you're out of state and can use them there.
Can I get a +1 on this? Not saying I don't trust Yellowfin, I just wanna be sure. I might be passing through CA for a few months and I would rather not dispose of magazines I can use again later.
Old December 14, 2009, 10:03 AM   #9
CowTowner

I use a "better safe than sorry" approach when going to California to visit family and friends. I make darn sure that I have 10 round or less capacity magazines for any semi-auto pistol I have with me. I leave the hi-caps at home. Better to spend $30 for the correct mag than to deal with the consequences of having the wrong one.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 14, 2009, 12:46 PM   #10
pfl101

http://www.44mag.com/products.asp?dept=1341

http://www.copesdistributing.net/index.php?cPath=142

Etc.
Old December 14, 2009, 09:03 PM   #11
javabum

If you owned the mags.pre ban in this state you may posses and use...and you can fix with new parts.But you may not posses or buy with the intent to use after the ban.Nor can you bring then into this state unless disassembled.

NRA Life member