The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 1, 2009, 01:00 AM   #1
LordJohnWarfen

Getting interesting

Of late I am seeing an up tick in crime in my neighborhood. Not sure it’s related to the economy but we have had a shooting (drug related) and multiple break ins.

Anyone else seeing their, typically safe neighborhood moving in a bad direction?
Old March 1, 2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Whiteboy67

I'm at a gated community that get's some shady people a lot. We've had our barn broken into and MY stuff stolen, no one else's, just mine stolen and so we installed different locks on the doors and I helped my dad install a security camera system all along our house that's hooked to a computer that records and stores all the video 24/7 on its HD. When several people in our neighborhood got robbed, we watched the video from that night and saw a man approach our locked garage door, wiggle the handle then take off after a few seconds. This was about a year ago, so far there have been a few breakins at other houses in the community but someone was home each time and the BG freaked and ran. This has been going on the past few months, just this week there was another robbery where someones unlocked car in their driveway was ransacked and such. There seems to be a slight escalation this past few months, but luckily no ones been hurt and nothing of serious value has been stolen.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:40 AM   #3
91slicktop

Little long but...oh well

I live in a small town. The area I live in is consisted mostly of early 90's and late 1800's housing that folks have moved into and restored. Down the road however there is a...well ghetto area. Old houses that the owners are letting fall apart and increasing amount of drug sales (Which was brought to my attention further in the story.)

My Mother has lived here for about the last 10 years. It was the sort of Neighborhood where she would leave the key in her brand new car, and all doors of the house unlocked and never had any problems. (However i did get on her case that she needs to lock up the house/car anyways).

Recently She was on the front deck of the house around 9-10pm talking on the phone, and a buddy and myself were on the side of the house talking and such. I hear my mom say "You need to stop right there", in a raised voice. I walk around the house to see 3 teenage/early 20's males in hoodies walking onto the property and asking about their "friend". They had slowed their pace but were still moving forward onto the property as i made it onto the front deck. So I called back to my friend to come to the deck as well, at which point they stopped walking. My friend mentioned seeing their "friend" run down the street, and through our yard. My mom proceeded to tell them to leave and they didnt belong around here. She promptly called the police and they eventually pulled them over and found empty dime bags.

About a week later, the cop came by our house and told us the story of why the kids were around here. Turns out, the kid that ran through the yard, had planned with one of the other 3 kids to steal $1,000 from the other 2 kids who had brought it from a different town with the intentions of buying weed up the road in the ghetto. The next day the 2 kids that got ripped off came to the police station reporting the theft of the money. Now I keep the doors/windows locked and my eye open
-Remington 700 .308 (Sold)
Old March 1, 2009, 12:49 PM   #4
tony pasley

Bad people use the news of bad times as an excuse to do even more bad things, then use the economy as the reason for thier actions.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:12 PM   #5
garryc

Criminals come up with all kind of excuses. There is no excuse for criminal activity, none.

Ohio has a victims of crime program, they pay towards the loss of a victim. I wonder if they would replace spent ammo?
Old March 1, 2009, 03:12 PM   #6
bigghoss

I live behind a safeway in one of the shadiest apartment complexes in the meth capitol of the U.S. the parking lot of which is half-full of ugly cars with multiple flat tires.

surprisingly there is not much crime in the complex...
Old March 1, 2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Ian0351

not here, but close by- yes

I live in an apartment complex that is mostly active duty service men and women from Fort Lewis and a goodly contingent of prior service; I'd like to think the stickers on the cars do a lot to dissuade would be intruders. We haven't had any problems in the year or so we've lived here, but elsewhere in our town drugs (read meth) and homelessness continue to be rampant and encourage all forms of crime. I work in social services, and part of my strategy for maintaining my privacy is living in areas that you can't afford on the dole.
Professionally, I am seeing a substantial up tick in joblessness/homelessness which I believe will lead to increases in crime and drug fueled crime in the coming months, especially since my state is facing a massive budget shortfall and more and more people are facing RIF everyday.

Semper Fidelis
Old March 1, 2009, 03:32 PM   #8
w_houle

"...the meth capitol of the U.S.", I thought that was Bremerton, WA!
Old March 1, 2009, 04:00 PM   #9
pax

Not a Tactics and Training topic.

Closed.

pax
Closed Thread