The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 6, 2000, 11:22 PM   #1
Joe Portale

thanks to those who replied to my earlier post. After disassembly of the pistol, it appears that the mag safty is not the problem. The magazines are rubbing on the sear spring. The spring is bowing slightly into the mag chamber. Would it hurt to try and bend the bow out of the leaf spring?

The sear is holding the magazine tight enough that no amount of shaking will free the mag under its own weight. As someone else stated the inability to drop the mag can be a real tactical disadvantage. comments of suggestions.

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

True Gun Control: Weaver or Isosceles.
Old May 7, 2000, 06:46 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Joe, you could try that. But I would trace the outline of the way the spring is bent now in case you have to bend it back. George
Old May 7, 2000, 11:37 PM   #3
nwgunman

Joe: It sounds like something is amiss with your Browning HighPower. The magazine disconnect should be the problem. With the slide off, look down into the mag well from the top. With the hammer in full cock position, the sear spring should be flush in line with the back of the well and the sear itself. It should not protrude into the well. Now I only own the newer style Brownings. I reckon it should be the same for your old one, but maybe not (?). You might try contacting Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide, he's a real champ with the BHPs. I'd go easy on bending the sear spring. Maybe you should pick up a new one. Brownell's has them for $27.70. They show only one spring for all models.