The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 29, 2010, 06:31 PM   #1
7jinxed7

How much to swap a upper receiver?

I have a A2 style AR and i'm having a wonderful time tryin to find a descent optic that will mount directly to the handle. Then theirs the cheek weld issue. I'm tired of searching and tryin to resolve my mounting,cheek weld ,and cost issues. I want to just get it over with and swap it out for a flat top upper. i know the part is around $90.00 to $110.00. I priced tools and I just don't know if it's going to be cost effective to buy all these tools for a one time use. Any idea what a gunsmith would usually charge to do this?

If it's been posted before sorry I did a search and came up with nothing.
Old September 29, 2010, 07:25 PM   #2
rjrivero

Borrow the tools....

Post up your location and see if someone will loan you the tools, or even let you come over to do the swap.

If you live in my area, I'll be happy to help you out with this swap. All of 30 minutes beginning to end.

I consider tools an investment. You'll eventually want to build your own uppers, change barrels, etc.
Old September 29, 2010, 08:11 PM   #3
7jinxed7

Thanks but I'm no where near you. I'm in SE TN. I have considered buying the tools a little at a time. I would like the experience of doing it myself. i've read a couple articles on it and watched a few videos. It doesn't "look" hard. i can get around the hand guard tool if needed. The hand guard tool and barrel tool is only $35.00- $40.00. I don't mind buying the barrel tool if the $20.00 will work it's the cost of the action block thats expensive. I could always buy the action block tool and sell it when I'm done.

Is the sight block tool really necessary?
Old September 29, 2010, 08:34 PM   #4
gearchecker

You might go to the local gun range and find somebody shooting their AR and start asking questions. Most of us are more than willing to help another shooter out if we have the time and tools.

My gunsmith charged me $35 to swap out my upper from an A4 to an A2 model. It was later in the afternoon and he had sent out the days UPS and Fedex shipments. He usually uses the last hour to do the little get er' done jobs that seem to get pushed back otherwise. He did it while I was there and it took him about 10 minutes He did the barrel swaps and talked me thru swapping out the rear stock. I would think most smiths will charge somewhere around $50 or so and a week or 2 depending on their workloads.

Like mentioned before it will be a good idea to find another AR owner in your area to loan you the tools and you will learn how to do a chageover in the mean time. Good luck and enjoy your rifle.

Once you're bitten by the black rifle bug, those tools will come in really handy.
They are a very good investment into your AR ownership.
Look on ebay and you'll be able get the tools you need pretty inexpensively right now.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old September 30, 2010, 04:56 PM   #5
7jinxed7

Thats was a pretty accurate estimate gearchecker. I called a local gun shop today and ask for a price. I was told between $35.00 and $45.00 usually. Turn around is about a week. The gunsmith wants to get his own receiver which I don't have a problem with as long as it's priced fairly. I understand hes got to make money on the parts too. So if all goes well I should be able to get it done in a month or two. I'll probably save up around $200.00 just in case.
Old September 30, 2010, 07:18 PM   #6
DnPRK

Do it yourself and keep the tools for your 2nd AR-15
Action block $35
Armorer's wrench $34