The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 31, 2013, 09:07 AM   #1
breakingcontact

Good belt: how much of a difference?

I have bought probably 10 holsters and went through several guns trying to carry comfortably, I have tried different carry positions and angles as well.

I bought a 5.11 leather belt with an internal stiffener. It's better than a cheap leather one certainly. However I'm still not carrying comfortably.

I'm thinking of getting of getting an actual gun belt, like one made by The Belt Man or other heavy double layered legit gun belt.

How has a real gun belt helped improve how carrying feels for you?
Old August 31, 2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Kreyzhorse

A good belt won't make carrying more comfortable by itself. No matter what you are still carrying a holster with a gun. All of this creates a friction point on your body.

With that, a good gun belt will help increase your comfort. It will support the holster and gun, prevent sag and hold your rig in one place. I always say that a good belt is the most important part of your carry rig. I've bought a cheap belt that lasted for a year and one Beltman that has lasted for several. They are worth the price you pay.

A few other tips. Leather is more comfortable than kydex in my opinion. OWB carry is more comfortable than IWB carry. Finally, carrying should be comforting, not necessarily comforting.
Old August 31, 2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Herr Walther

I use a dress gunbelt from PWL and a Wilderness Tactical instructor belt with five lines of stitching. The PWL is a bit flabby after 12 years of use but still stiff enought to support a USP45 and holster. It's a tripple thickness 1-1/2" leather belt.

The Wilderness Tactical belt is around four years old and is as good as brand new.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old August 31, 2013, 09:51 AM   #4
breakingcontact

Re: Good belt: how much of a difference?

"Sag" is a good description of what I'm dealing with. I do carry a good amount. But if it was less uncomfortable I would carry more.

I had a cheap yet thick belt before. It worked for about 2 years until it got soft and wore out. I suppose this is a case of high tech (511 belt with stiffener) not bridging the gap and filling the role of a heavy quality leather belt.
Old August 31, 2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Herr Walther

Yes, leather will eventually soften and become more pliable just like a baseball glove.

I don't wear the dress belt that often so I haven't replaced it yet, but the Wilderness Tactical belt is worn daily.

Flabbiness, or sag is also a function of how tight you tighten your belt. Some folks can deal with a tighter belt than others can. Wider belts spread that tightness out some, while a narrower belt can feel like a noose around your waist.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old August 31, 2013, 10:36 AM   #6
JerryM

Beltman would be a good choice.
I do not carry a 5" steel 1922, but sometimes a SA LW Compact 1911. I prefer a double thickness 1.25" belt for my use over the 1.5".
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old August 31, 2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
"Sag" is a good description of what I'm dealing with. I do carry a good amount. But if it was less uncomfortable I would carry more.
A Beltman will certainly take care of sag. You'll also get several years out of and it will than pay for itself. I paid $50 for my first gun belt and it lasted one year. I paid $100 for my Beltman and it is still my carry belt after 7 years.

Horse hide is a good choice.
Old September 1, 2013, 11:53 AM   #8
arizona98tj

I carry OWB so my gun belt is typically hidden under a cover garment. I've used the same Wilderness 5 stitch belt now for 6-7 years. It has some more years left in it but I've obviously gotten my money's worth. It sees 3-4 days a week use.
Old September 1, 2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Toney

Suspenders really help, the dickies with the three belt hooks is very Google.
I loosened my gunbelt a notch and am a lot more comfortable! !!