The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2011, 10:18 PM   #1
1badz

Changing powder's in your measure.

I only own one powder measure right now, I load for 38spl 9mm 40s&w. Have been using bullseye in all but would like to try someting different,I always empty the hopper back into powder container and throw the handle a few times but there always seems to be some left/stuck in measure,should it be taken apart and wiped down before changing? Thanks...
Old January 10, 2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I've never bothered. I just bang my palm on the measure a few times to shake the residual powder to the bottom and dump again. The flakes can sometimes get wedged into parts sideways, but don't usually leave enough to cause significant contamination. If it makes you uneasy, you can can take it apart. Most measures aren't that hard to disassemble.

Another tactic would be to run some light starting loads of your new powder, figuring that any remaining flakes will likely be swept out in the first charges of the new powder. You want to work the new loads up anyway, and with the reduced load a few flakes of another powder won't do anything untoward.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 11, 2011, 08:44 AM   #3
l98ster

I switch powders all the time on my dillon 550. In fact, I almost chage out powders everytime I reload (I use W231 for my 38 special and titegroup for my 9mm).

What you are doing is just fine. Empty the hopper, and work the charge bar back and forth a couple of times to empty the rest, and you are good to go on your next powder. There is no reason to wipe the residual powder out.

-George
Old January 11, 2011, 09:01 AM   #4
TXJohn

I do the same as Unclenick, bang it a few times and add different powder. I have never had any Problems. I do look inside to make sure that some of the powder did not get hung in powder measure some how.
Old January 11, 2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Maybe I'm being anal about it, but I keep a small, long artist's paint brush on my bench to brush out any remaining powder when I change.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 11, 2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Sevens

This may not help the OP a whole lot, depending on what measure he's using, but I recently came up with a new way to empty my measure when I'm done using that powder.

I keep it quite full when using it, re-filling at every 50 handgun rounds so it's never even down a quarter. (I'm looking for consistency here) So when my session ends or I need to change powders, I'm dumping a hopper that is 80-90% full.

I used to remove the entire device from the bench and dump it (carefully!) from the top, in to a funnel, in to the powder bottle, but as I get more familiar with the measure that I'm now using, I have found a shortcut.

I'm using a Lyman 55 measure and now, instead of pulling the unit from the bench and inverting it, I'm simply loosening my adjustment screws and drawing the LARGE cylinder outward to make a huge measuring chamber.

With this drawn out, I simply work the handle with the powder jug under the outlet and I cal dump an entire hopper full of powder in maybe 10 throws of the lever. Smooth and easy, and quick, and only a few granules are left.

Tapping or a brush as Mike Irwin suggested and I'm done. Slide the cylinder back in place and the measure is ready for the next use.

I love this Lyman 55.
Old January 11, 2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

Not worth sweating, IMHO. A few granules sticking to the bottom won't affect anything.
Old January 17, 2011, 06:25 PM   #8
1badz

Thanks for the info...I just wiped out the hopper and filled with other powder,and as luck would have it I like the first powder better.
Old January 20, 2011, 08:44 PM   #9
fredneck

I use a long artist brush also.
Old January 22, 2011, 10:03 PM   #10
1badz

After trying three differnt powders one thing that I foung was without changing the setting on my measure each of the powders measured differnt.I had it set to throw 3.5gr of bullseye,changed over to win231 and it threw 4.0gr. and with unique it did 3.2gr. Have any of you tried or noticed that before,I did check them all with a 2nd scale just 2 be sure.
Old January 22, 2011, 10:16 PM   #11
1chig

powders do not weigh the same as you can now see, when you change your powder, you must start over, meaning adjust your powder measurer, and weigh untill you get the load you want. (listed for the powder you are using)
Old January 24, 2011, 10:34 AM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

That is correct. Your measure is set in volume, not weight. The actual property you are referring to is called Bulk Density (BD). It varies in specific gravity (grams/cubic centimeter) from about as low as 0.3 (Trail Boss) to over 1.05 (Accurate #5). So they vary by over 3:1.

Another measure is Volume Measure Density (VMD) used by Lee and others to convert units of weight to cubic centimeters of volume. This is because some measure settings are calibrated in cubic centimeters. The VMD is just the number of cc's each unit of weight fills up. When the unit of weight is grains, because a grain is small, this number is always a fraction. When the unit of weight is grams (European reloaders use grams) the number is bigger. It is just the opposite of BD in that VMD is a measure of bulk, so it gets bigger as the powder gets less dense, while BD is a measure of density, so it gets smaller when the powder is less dense. In the common grain weight units, Trail Boss has a VMD of about 0.2172 cc/grain and #5 has one of about 0.0623 cc/grain according to Lee.

Lee's whole chart of VMD's is available to download free, here. If you look up the VMD for Bullseye on the chart and divide it by the VMD for 231 on the chart, the result is how many times heavier the 231 charge will be at the same volume in your measure.

Old Powder VMD / New Powder VMD = Multiplier for resulting charge weight.

Bullseye VMD/231 VMD = 0.1064/0.0931 = 1.1429

1.1429 × 3.5 grains = 4.0 grains

HERE'S THE IMPORTANT SAFETY CONCERN ABOUT ALL THIS:

Powder VMD's vary some from lot to lot. This means you CANNOT EXPECT that the measure setting you used with one lot will throw the same charge weight with the next lot of the same powder. Indeed YOU EVEN HAVE TO BE CAREFUL that moving a can of powder around, picking it up and setting it down, doesn't pack down the powder and change its bulk density a bit. Vibration from operating your measure can do the same thing to the powder in its hopper.

Accurate posts BD and VMD numbers for their powders in their descriptions (careful, they have two different sets of units for people using gram scales and for those using grain scales). These numbers differ from the Lee numbers because they are simply reporting what they measure and not erring low to prevent accidental overcharges, as Lee's chart does. (Don't worry about that. You're going to check with a scale to be sure of what you are actually getting anyway.) The main thing to pay attention to is that there is a lot tolerance spread. For Accurate #2, they give +/-5.5%; for 4100 it is +/-3.2%, etc. Other makers don't provide these numbers so conveniently, but you can expect the other brands to have a bulk tolerance range, too.

For the above reasons, it is good practice to check the charge your measure is throwing regularly. Do it most frequently in the beginning and after changing a powder and while the measure is still settling in. Do it after adding powder to the hopper and running a few settling charges through. Do it more often if you are loading near a maximum charge to make sure it doesn't drift. With a target load that is on the light side, the least checking is needed from the standpoint of safety, though the most may be needed from the standpoint of accuracy. Over time, as your throwing technique and experience get more established, you will get a feel for how often your measure actually needs to be checked with each powder.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Corrections
Old January 24, 2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Kevin Rohrer

A Clean Measure is a Safe & Happy Measure

I make sure the measure is completely empty by removing the measure from its stand, invert it, and shake/tap it until all powder is gone.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old January 24, 2011, 09:37 PM   #14
bigautomatic

This will probably make me seem extremely lazy, but I now have five RCBS throwers, one for each of the powders that I use most and marked as such with permanent marker. Certainly not the cheapest way to go, but I almost never have to empty one. I only have one drilled station for a thrower on the bench so that only one can be mounted at a time, (nearly) eliminating the chance of using the wrong powder for a given cartridge. The others are mounted in a rack in an enclosed area under the bench. It may not make any sense to others, but it works well for me.