The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2007, 02:47 PM   #1
grymster2007

Lead bullet crimp?

I’ve loaded a few lead bullets now and I think I may have overdone it with the crimp.

44 Special
Hornady 180gr Lead “Cowboy”
RCBS Die
Lee hand Press

Any advice on what the crimp should look like? Or how to get to the proper crimp?
Old December 1, 2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Alaskee

crimp

Assuming the lead bullet has a cannelure, a slight roll of the case mouth into the canelure should be sufficient for 44 Special cowboy loads. If you have any factory ammo in revolver loads such as 44 Special, 38 Special etc., study the crimp on those rounds and basically match that crimp with your reloads.
Also most reloading manuals have pictures of cartridges with too much, too little, and just right crimps.
Old December 1, 2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Alaskee

crimp

Also, an internet search using words like 'bullet crimping' or 'cartridge crimping' should yield some results.
Old December 2, 2007, 02:37 AM   #4
joneb

I use a heavier crimp for hotter loads, and slow burning powders. If the crimp is to much it can deform the case mouth, a .001-.0015" expansion in the case mouth from crimping is acceptable in my revolvers for jacketed bullets, test chamber your loaded round and see if it fits there should be no resistance. For light target loads with fast powders I prefer a light to medium crimp.
Old December 2, 2007, 12:21 PM   #5
grymster2007

I have not received my Lee loading manual yet. Gotta find out what happened to my order.

Meanwhile, I did google some crimp images and judging by those and factory rounds I have, I think I over did it on about 10 rounds. These are the Hornady Cowboy bullets that do not have a cannelure, but rather are knurled. Think I'll do a few more batches of ten with the die backed off a bit for each and try shooting them.

Thanks for the help.
Old December 2, 2007, 06:43 PM   #6
Sigma 40 Blaster

I crimp just enough to knock the flare off of the case mouth, the bullets I use are typically a little larger than the mouth of the brass and I haven't had any bullet movement trouble.
Old December 2, 2007, 10:03 PM   #7
joneb

Quote:
I crimp just enough to knock the flare off of the case mouth,
Are you referring to cartridges that head space from the case mouth