The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 20, 2000, 03:24 PM   #1
SeaHaze

Members;
I am soliciting information from your vast breadth & depth of experience concerning replacing my stock trigger.
My primary goal is to smooth out the take-up by eliminating the magazine disconnect. I shoot informal IPSC at a local club and they run a cold range. I must show an empty chamber, release the slide and drop the hammer under the ever watchful eye of the R.O. before the beginning of the shoot and after the last shot at every scenario.The pistol is then holstered sans mag. Slamming in an empty mag to accomplish this important safety regulation is a bit of a pain and a good trigger would eliminate that extra step.
I'll take my chances with the modified pistol at the shoots but would slide the stock trigger back in for CCW or home self-defense, maybe.
Thanks in advance for your consideration in this matter.
SeaHaze
Any recommendations on brand and source of trigger would be appreciated.

------------------
"Those who would purchase
security with their
liberty, deserve
neither." B. Franklin

"The 2nd Amendment; it ain't about duck huntin'." bumper sticker
Old October 20, 2000, 03:43 PM   #2
BBBBill

Well the only one that I know of currently on the market is the Cylinder & Slide product. Austin Behlert used to produce one I believe & his son in law, Art Leckie, might still have one available.
You won't swap mor than a couple of times before you get tires of that. It involves a bit more than field stripping & will result in accelerated wear on the pins/pin holes of your gun.
Old October 20, 2000, 04:49 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

You should be able to use the stock trigger sans magazine disconnect just fine. Check out the FAQ at http://www.fnhipower.com/ for more info.
Old October 21, 2000, 07:09 PM   #4
SeaHaze

Thanks to Bart and BBBill for their input. I wen to the Cylinder & Slide web page www.cylinder-slide.com/ and ordered a combat trigger and heavy-duty trigger return spring from them, so I should be in business. The link Bart gave me was very informative and I found a great new site - two in fact, including c&s. Thanks again .
Best,
SeaHaze

------------------
"Those who would purchase
security with their
liberty, deserve
neither." B. Franklin

"The 2nd Amendment; it ain't about duck huntin'." bumper sticker
Old October 21, 2000, 10:21 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I would not remove the magazine safety. Remove the trigger and magazine safety and polish the safety both in the rear pad and on the part that goes into the trigger. Take 1/2 to 1 turn off the safety spring. Then polish the front of the magazines. The mag safety will still work and you won't even notice it.

Jim