The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 4, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1
zippy13

How to load a double

Something I've not noticed, here at TFL, is any mention of how to load a double shotgun.
After you've dropped fresh shells in your SxS or U/O do you:
Grip it firmly and smartly close the action, or

Return your thumb to the lever and ease it back after closing the action?
Old June 4, 2012, 03:39 PM   #2
BigJimP

On all of my O/U's ....I grab the forend firmly ...and close it "gently" ...making sure it closes completely.

I do not operate the lever with my thumb ..close the breech - and then release the lever... and I don't "slam" a gun shut ....or whip the barrels up by putting 2 hands on the stock ( like I see a few guys do ) to close the gun .... or release the lever..and grab the gun stock in 2 hands and flop the barrels open either....
-----------
Here's are Brownings instructions on the Citori ...but ...I suppose there may be a better way ...

" L o a d i n g
When loading your shotgun Always keep the muzzle pointed
in a safe direction, Always place the “sAFETY” IN THE ON SAFE
position and keep your fingers away from the trigger.
Failure to follow these warnings could result in serious
injury or death.
1 Move the top lever to the right and open the breech.
2 Check the chambers and bores to be certain they are clear
of obstructions.
3 Insert a shell in each chamber, or in the chamber you intend to
fire, and close the breech.
Old June 4, 2012, 04:32 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

I think if you closed the barrel with the lever to the right and then released the lever you may not have gotten a good lock. I will go with the first option.
Old June 4, 2012, 04:55 PM   #4
oneounceload

Quote:
...I grab the forend firmly ...and close it "gently" ...making sure it closes completely.

I do not operate the lever with my thumb ..close the breech - and then release the lever... and I don't "slam" a gun shut ....or whip the barrels up by putting 2 hands on the stock ( like I see a few guys do ) to close the gun .... or release the lever..and grab the gun stock in 2 hands and flop the barrels open either....
BINGO - no slamming of moving the gun to snap it open or closed - THAT will ruin a hinge faster than throwing sand in it. Just close the action gently and all will be well for a long time
Old June 4, 2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Scorch

Why, pilgrim, just snap yer wrist and slam it shut!

Not.

Drop the shells in, and applying pressure with the right wrist, firmly but gently close the action until the thumb lever comes home.
Old June 4, 2012, 07:03 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Scorch, Is that a picture of two of your skeet guns on your home page? What do you use; cannister loads?
Old June 4, 2012, 11:56 PM   #7
.300 Weatherby Mag

Too many people slam guns shut!!!

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; June 5, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old June 5, 2012, 02:51 AM   #8
Scorch

No, those are my friend's 3-pounders. I am not sure, but I think he has a hard time with doubles.
Old June 5, 2012, 09:08 AM   #9
oneounceload

Watching an English friend of mine on the skeet field, he places his hand at the end of the butt and gently raises it to close the gun with his other hand holding the forearm. He claims it is easier to close a stiff gun that way (more leverage) and it puts less strain on the hinge pin. I do not know about the latter, but it makes sense for the former
Old June 5, 2012, 09:30 AM   #10
Lee Lapin

I was taught to close a double gun by holding the barrels still and gently lifting the butt as well...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old June 5, 2012, 04:25 PM   #11
PetahW

Most often, the worst abuse a gun receives is the manner in which it's repeatedly closed.
Most shooters don't realize the damage they inflict by slamming shut, or even vigorously closing, their guns.
It's totally unnecessary.

No gun, however well designed, can accommodate the stress on the hinge pin & locking system that's caused by slamming a gun shut.
The gun, treated thusly, will rapidly loosen, requiring repair.
Shotguns are designed for repeated firings, but not for the stress of banging closure.

A doublegun should always be closed firmly, and hammerguns opened slowly, much like moving a heavy door that has a stained glass panel.

(from: Lock, Stock & Barrel, by Adams & Braden)

Old June 5, 2012, 06:03 PM   #12
scotts_4x

I don't slam mine closed but I don't baby it all the time either. Most of the time my reloads come under stress of watching where other hunters in the group are at, where my dogs are, and where the flushing birds have flown to. Most of my reloads come without even noticing I have done it, so most of the time after the rush is over I'm checking the gun to make sure I have 2 fresh ones in the tubes.

-scott
Old June 5, 2012, 06:31 PM   #13
PJR

I close the gun gently but firmly and let the top lever seat on its own.

Last edited by PJR; June 5, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old June 5, 2012, 06:32 PM   #14
oneounceload

To Petah's post I would add the same results are in for those who push the opening lever over and then "flip" or "snap" the gun when OPENING - that puts even more wear on the hinge pin
Old June 5, 2012, 07:17 PM   #15
M4BGRINGO

I have started putting the barrels of the gun on the rubber pad, moving the lever over, and use the butt stock to open the gun, catching the shell in my free hand (when shooting trap).

I have my right hand on the stock as if I am going to shoot it, finger out of the trigger gaurd, and use my left hand to gently, but firmly, close the gun. I do this as I am raising the gun to my shoulder.
Old June 5, 2012, 07:21 PM   #16
Crunchy Frog

If not-so-gentle treatment of a double gun makes you cringe, stay far, far away from a cowboy action shooting match.

The most coveted doubles are Browning BSS and SKBs. Cowboys buy 'em, bob 'em, and gut 'em (polish the insides, ease the springs and funnel out the chamber mouths). Then they slam them open and closed, and throw them down when we're done.

Enough to make a bird hunter cry.
Old June 5, 2012, 08:26 PM   #17
zippy13

Quote:
Then they slam them open and closed, and throw them down when we're done.
Sounds like the way cowboys treat their women, too.
Old June 5, 2012, 08:32 PM   #18
oneounceload

Quote:
If not-so-gentle treatment of a double gun makes you cringe, stay far, far away from a cowboy action shooting match.

The most coveted doubles are Browning BSS and SKBs. Cowboys buy 'em, bob 'em, and gut 'em (polish the insides, ease the springs and funnel out the chamber mouths). Then they slam them open and closed, and throw them down when we're done.

Enough to make a bird hunter cry.
Enough to point out the yahoos and "wanna be" cowboys, because a cowboy would never do anything deliberately to ruin or break his essential tools out in the middle of BFE