The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2002, 12:49 PM   #1
MADISON

Need your openion and input on .22 Hornet brass

I need your openion and input on .22 Hornet brass.
I need to purchase 500 pieces of .22 Hornet brass and need to have your experiences with:
Remmington brass
Remmington Plated brass
Winchester brass
MADISON
Old September 11, 2002, 03:59 PM   #2
griz

Don’t remember if mine is Rem or Win but I'll check. If I load them hot, the head separates in about two or three loadings. I suspect this is more because of the chamber (TC Contender) than because of the brass. The rimmed case might also tempt the die makers to make the sizing die on the tight side, thus reducing the life of the case. I bought a Lee collet die in an attempt to reduce the working of the case body, but the case necks are on the thin side and the die doesn’t squeeze them enough to hold the bullets tightly.

I finally realized there is no reason at all to load it warm. Its purpose is a nice light plinker and small game gun, so I load accordingly. If I need more power I use a 223.

Who sells plated 22 Hornet brass? I have never seen it.
Old September 11, 2002, 04:14 PM   #3
Bogie

1. Don't reload plated brass, unless you're going to use it in a "dangerous game" rifle (where the "slick" plated case will generally feed better). Do you really want that crap going down your barrel?

Try FL sizing for minimal headspace - Screw your sizing die out, then in in small increments until the case will chamber. Lock it down. Try a Redding bushing die to adjust your neck tension.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old September 11, 2002, 05:08 PM   #4
MADISON

Where can you buy .22 Hornet brass?

Griz:
Try
www.midwayusa.com
www.grafs.com
Both Midway and Graf & Sons sell 22. Hornet and other brass in 100, 200, 500 and 2,000 quantities.
MADISON
Old September 12, 2002, 09:33 AM   #5
Khornet

As you might guess,

mine is a K-Hornet, fire-formed brass from standard hornets. I have both Rem and Win brass, and it has all performed well and lasted long. Don't see much difference.
Old September 12, 2002, 09:57 AM   #6
john kilgore

I've loaded and shot the Hornet a lot in the past 25yrs.
I've used most of the available brass.

The Remington is OK but runs a little thicker and lower capacity (except for some old UMC stuff I picked up in the '70's that had been factory loaded "who knows when!").
It also tends to have a little more runout on the neck thickness. But not too bad for most uses. I have some (100) nickle plated cases but have only one loading on them with some cast bullet loads, so I can't really comment on them yet, but they're pretty loaded with a 35gr V-max stuffed in them!!!!
Winchester is usually the best and what I would recommend. It seems to be consistent from lot to lot, and generally show a little less run out than the Remington.

Oddly enough, the best brass I've run across is some Sellier & Bellot that I've got from some factory ammo I bought at a bargain. The only problem I had with them is that the firing pin hole is much smaller than the U.S. manf. brass and required turning down the decapping pin to keep it from sticking in the case. The holes were very consistent and weights varied very little. Loads with these case will run 0.2-0.3" smaller than ones fired from the others.

Get the Winchesters, and try the Rem. 45gr HP bullets on top of 10.8gr. of Hodgdon's LilGun. This load runs 2750fps from my Ruger 77/22 KBZ (24"BBL) and shoot 0.75"@100yds. For max accuracy, try the 40gr Sierra HP with 12.5gr of LilGun-gets 3000fps!. Also try the 45gr Hornady "Hornet" with 11.5 of AA-1680. My most accurate load though, is a 50gr Hornady SX with 10.8gr of AA-1680 and a WinSP primer in the S&B brass. Only gets 2475 fps but often puts 5shots in one hole !! I've also found that seating the bullets close the the SAAMI figure of 1.720" except for the pointed bullets, where I use 1.750 (1.775 for Nosler BT's) for best accuracy. If I seat out to touch lands, the run-out affects accuracy negatively.
Good luck !
Old September 13, 2002, 04:39 PM   #7
MADISON

Thanks for your input and advice

The Ruger 77-/22-Hornet I have now loves the over maximum load of 9.7 grains of 2400. You can cover the group with a dime at 100 yards.
I now have a mixture of Remmington and Winchester brass. I have desided to buy Winchester. Over the years Winchester has served me well, while Remmington seems to break down faster.
Thank you again!
MADISON