The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2000, 11:33 AM   #1
nedfig

I found a WELL USED Wingmaster for $140. Is that a good price? It has a plain barrel, wood stock, etc. That's the lowest price I have seen for one. I checked the barrel/reciever play and it is tight. Some blue wore off, scratches, dings, etc. on stock.

My plan is to buy the SG and then save for the Remington Steal that Scattergun Tech does. Does that sound like a good plan?

Thanks
Old September 7, 2000, 01:39 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Buy it....

As for the ST stuff, check out the thread on Common Sense...
Old September 7, 2000, 03:05 PM   #3
nedfig

I read the "common sense" post. I was thinking more along the lines of all worn or damaged parts replaced, flexitab upgrade, cut barrel, new base and bead, and new parkerized finish. I know none of it is necessary, but nice nonetheless.

It will be some time before I do it though.

ned
Old September 7, 2000, 08:18 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ned, the nice thing is you can do it one step at a time. I suggest you have a good idea of which way this should go.

For a field gun, you've got it now. If the choke is OK for the type of shooting you do, a little patterning and maybe stock adjustment costs little, and increases effectiveness immensely.

If it's an HD or Tactical shotgun you've envisioned, still one step at a time. BTW, many cut bbls with zero choke spray 00 like a garden hose.Lengthening the forcing cone helps here.

You may want to consider choke tubes or an aftermarket bbl, like a rifle sighted Rem Choked smoothbore.

But all that is minor, you've bought a shotgun your great grandchillun can use...
Old September 7, 2000, 08:19 PM   #5
Rob62

nedfig,
Not too long ago I did the same thing. I bought a "beater" 870 and then had Scattergun Technology (now a part of Wilson Inc.) do their Remington steal rebuilt on it ($179?). I was very happy with the quality of work done by SG Tech.

But if I had to do it again I would do it somewhat differently. For about $244 one can purchase a *new* Remington 870 Express at Walmarts. Maybe less now that hunting season is almost upon us. A gunsmith should only charge about $25 to cut the barrel down to any legal length you want. So for about $269 you basically get a new gun.

Of course I'm not including tax on the Walmarts purchase nor shipping to SG Tech if you go that route.

There are advantages to going with an older style Rem 870 such as no dimples in the mag tube or from what I read no built in key safety (though I haven't seen any of these guns yet).

Just a thought.

Rob

RKBA!

------------------
It's amazing what a large group of stupid people can accomplish.
-----------------
Old September 8, 2000, 04:36 AM   #6
Sport

A hundred-forty sounds like a good price.
As you know the Wingmaster is Remington's
top of the line pump. For a perspective,
check out what used 870 barrels sell for..
$80-100 is not uncommon.
I own two Wingmasters; one is my duck/goose
gun, the other my HD gun. I've not babied
either. Both are thirty plus years old.
They are sturdy and reliable. Replacement
parts are not a problem.
By the way,does the gun you're looking at
have a magnum or standard receiver?

[This message has been edited by Sport (edited September 08, 2000).]
Old September 8, 2000, 08:01 AM   #7
nedfig

It's not a magnum. I wouldn't have bought it if it was.

Thanks for the replies.
Old September 9, 2000, 07:27 PM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

For an extra $60 you can get a Rem Expresss ... these hunting days, Garts (YMMV depending on locale), etc. has 'em for right at $200 ....

Not a Wingmaster (re wood & finish) but it may not matter in the least for what you want to do.

Older Wingmasters may not have the "change-a-choke" (screw in chokes) & thus, don't have the versatility that you may want.

May be better just to buy a brand new Express (for the extra $60) - you don't get the shiney steel/blue job + wood - but, you'll have a very servicible shotgun that you can pass onto the grand kids - if or ever.