The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: FNX-45 or FNX-45 tactical?
FNX-45 6 75.00%
FNX-45 tactical. 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 7, 2014, 10:53 PM   #1
ATN082268

FNX-45 or FNX-45 tactical?

I wanted some input on whether I should go with the FNX-45 or FNX-45 tactical. Mainly, I am looking for any difference in capabilities in the two designs. Is one more reliable, more concealable, etc. Thank you.
Old September 3, 2014, 06:40 PM   #2
smee78

Unless you are going to get a suppersor then I would stick with the FNX45. The two guns are the same with the exception of the suppersor sights, threaded barrel, and ability to mount a little red dot on a top rail. I'm looking for a regular FNX 45 myself.
Old September 3, 2014, 07:27 PM   #3
noonesshowmonkey

Per the other poster's response, the only reason to consider the Tactical variant is if you plan to use the FNX with a suppressor and red dot sight. Otherwise, there isn't really any reason to pay the premium. RDS is not a meaningless upgrade on a pistol: any optics dramatically increase accuracy and speed of fire. Period. But, they are expensive and, unless you intend on getting into regular gunfights, probably not worth their cost vs. ammo for training.
Old September 3, 2014, 09:53 PM   #4
WildBill45

Quote:
But, they are expensive and, unless you intend on getting into regular gunfights, probably not worth their cost vs. ammo for training.
No lucid man intends on getting into a gun fight and I doubt you do, so even if you did have such intentions (silly) or not, anything that helps you shoot better and is as dependable in real situations is good ... how much good vs. money spent ... is up to you only!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old September 4, 2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Paul K

The tactical has some cool goodies with it, including a genuine Eagle Industries case. It's a more crude when compared to the HK USP Tactical, but I feel it's it's spiritual successor.
Old September 4, 2014, 04:50 PM   #6
noonesshowmonkey

Quote:
No lucid man intends on getting into a gun fight and I doubt you do, so even if you did have such intentions (silly) or not, anything that helps you shoot better and is as dependable in real situations is good ... how much good vs. money spent ... is up to you only!
Well, I was gently implying that if you aren't in a line of work where deploying a handgun with the intent to kill isn't part of your day-to-day, then the cost-to-benefit calculus is a bit skewed towards 'I want' vs. 'I need'.